tool steel solid lifters questions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Re: tool steel solid lifters questions

Post by Truckedup »

Up until the early 50's Chevy and GMC inline 6's had forged steel cams and used chilled iron lifters... When they switched to cast cams the lifters were hardenable iron...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

Bob Hollinshead wrote:I plan to pull the inner springs out and set the installed height high for the break in. It will see a few 20 minute runs at 2000-3000 rpm with full cool down between. Alan, what oil are you having luck with?
Well, we have been using Valvoline VR-1 for break in and Royal Purple for racing, but we've had a little trouble lately getting VR-1. We're going to try Brad Penn, some already have, and had good results.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

Alan Roehrich wrote:Well, we have been using Valvoline VR-1 for break in and Royal Purple for racing, but we've had a little trouble lately getting VR-1. We're going to try Brad Penn, some already have, and had good results.
Alan, the Brad Penn works great.:)
Diodedog
Pro
Pro

Post by Diodedog »

Truckedup wrote:Up until the early 50's Chevy and GMC inline 6's had forged steel cams and used chilled iron lifters... When they switched to cast cams the lifters were hardenable iron...
At some point in the 60s I think they started using cast wax for their cam and lifters, and not much better for the blocks and rods.
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

I have run the Trend tool steel lifters on a nitrided cast cam with similar spring pressures to Alan. I have also ran a nitrided cast cam with regular Crower EDM lifters with 170 seat and 450 lb open.

Cams are broken in with reduced spring pressure and I only use Brad Penn oil with them.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines