My Buick 315 HP 455 G/SA F/SA Build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Diodedog
Pro
Pro
Re: My Buick 315 HP 455 G/SA F/SA Build

Post by Diodedog »

What is between the bell housing and the brake.
70GS455

Post by 70GS455 »

Why not 2.125"/1.75" stage 1 valves? They were available that year and should be legal? Easy enough to change fender badges lol. That also allows a .490"/.490" lift cam
Scott
thedynoguy

Post by thedynoguy »

Diodedog wrote:What is between the bell housing and the brake.
It's an extension box made by Innovation Engineering for the Superflow dynos.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

70GS455 wrote:Why not 2.125"/1.75" stage 1 valves? They were available that year and should be legal? Easy enough to change fender badges lol. That also allows a .490"/.490" lift cam

I wanted to stay with the low HP combination G/F the first time around. I've have been tempted before looking at both the 1970 stage 1 combo as well as the 71 stage 1. The car is ready for the track right now, I know I have big power with the low HP set up, now I have to make the car work. The 1970 stage combination is a whole different animal, my thought process was: I probably should start off with the low HP combo not knowing anything about building a Buick, because that 1970 stage 1 does not look very reliable. The 71 would want to REV same as the 70 just different compression 10.6 compared to 13.2, theres got to be a big HP increase with the bigger valve and .100 more lift.

https://youtu.be/WE-BeOpasnQ
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
ChrisL66

Post by ChrisL66 »

That's pretty cool. Not a lot of Buicks out there. In the 'late '80's my dad used to race a Stage 1 GSX with a four speed. It ran mid elevens on slicks, but had a cam change and headers.

Later that motor went into a '70 GS Skylark with a tube chassis where it was raced for a while . Eventually he got that GS got into the 9's.

Chris.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

UPDATE:

I made it to the track in mid July for some testing, the car ran 11.00 in F/SA trim in the following conditions: 27.80 baro, 5600 DA, 138 grains, 2130 physical elevation. I had a fuel delivery problem which kept me from further track tuning. The fuel system will be rebuilt, and I will test again at the end of August, The Q-jet puts the fuel system to the test, I knew I was taking a chance but didn't have time to go through it, big mistake. The following changes will be made this winter:

1. Metric trans
2. Lighter rear end with 4.33 gears, present gears are 4.10

I believe with these changes I will be right where I need to be, the new engine revs much more than the old engine. I will report back after the next test.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

At a track with those parameters you would be like 1.200 under the index.Looks like a very strong runner.
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

1972ho wrote:At a track with those parameters you would be like 1.200 under the index.Looks like a very strong runner.
That DA is pretty high. It does indeed look like a strong runner.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Another update: I had the Buick out Friday Aug 19 for some testing. Running at Pueblo Colorado 4800 feet elevation, 25.10 barometer, 7250 DA in F/SA trim the car ran 11.40 on a 12.46 index, NHRA altitude correction .9508. No tuning was done due to the fact I ended up bracket racing instead of testing. The last change was the fuel system, my next changes will be: carb testing, changing the Turbo 400 for a metric trans, changing from a 4.10 gear to a 4.33.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

Head to Kearney, Ne. Sept 23-24 for two days of Stock/Super Stock racing. Midwest Class Racers is partnered with NHRA at this National Open. $2000 win/$1000 runner up, plus great round money both days.

Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

vortecpro wrote:
shiftbyear wrote:I caught this posting of Jason Line's C/SA Buick running the 1/8th mile. Buicks have good potential.

http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=323693
You make a good point......But, let see what a well developed LS6 Chevelle would run @ 3635 in the same conditions.

1st thing, is a LS6 Chevelle is around B, or maybe A. But, not F. It would get real boring if only one brand of car was raced.
ZEOHSIX
Pro
Pro

Post by ZEOHSIX »

Grind down those guide bosses in the Bowl area....have the voids above the seats in the bowl area "fixed" by Lock n Stitch and surface off that intake side to get back to your proper NHRA specified port volume....if you run really well.....don't worry the NHRA will reclassify your car so the "Check book Racers with Belly Button showroom race cars" can kick your ass at the strip even though you've invested tons of hours in your combo....why should an old "Dinosaur" be allowed to outrun a major corporate sponsors off the shelf vehicle offering! Take a good look at all the Mopar Wedge class racers and tell me how many you see with the factory raised intake flange on their "stock" cylinder heads.....a little hand work and acid treatment can go a long way...... :D
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

Or maybe he takes pride in building something within the rules and doesn’t want to cheat? You can build a successful NHRA/IHRA Stocker without resorting to cheating....
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams
Diodedog
Pro
Pro

Post by Diodedog »

ZEOHSIX wrote:Grind down those guide bosses in the Bowl area....have the voids above the seats in the bowl area "fixed" by Lock n Stitch and surface off that intake side to get back to your proper NHRA specified port volume....if you run really well.....don't worry the NHRA will reclassify your car so the "Check book Racers with Belly Button showroom race cars" can kick your ass at the strip even though you've invested tons of hours in your combo....why should an old "Dinosaur" be allowed to outrun a major corporate sponsors off the shelf vehicle offering! Take a good look at all the Mopar Wedge class racers and tell me how many you see with the factory raised intake flange on their "stock" cylinder heads.....a little hand work and acid treatment can go a long way...... :D
I'm not sure what you mean by factory raised intake flange.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Diodedog wrote:
ZEOHSIX wrote:Grind down those guide bosses in the Bowl area....have the voids above the seats in the bowl area "fixed" by Lock n Stitch and surface off that intake side to get back to your proper NHRA specified port volume....if you run really well.....don't worry the NHRA will reclassify your car so the "Check book Racers with Belly Button showroom race cars" can kick your ass at the strip even though you've invested tons of hours in your combo....why should an old "Dinosaur" be allowed to outrun a major corporate sponsors off the shelf vehicle offering! Take a good look at all the Mopar Wedge class racers and tell me how many you see with the factory raised intake flange on their "stock" cylinder heads.....a little hand work and acid treatment can go a long way...... :D
I'm not sure what you mean by factory raised intake flange.
\

I believe what he's saying is this:

When work is done to the heads and the intake or exhaust runner goes above NHRA min CCs, the intake face is milled down to bring the CCs back into legal specs.