New Dodge challenger Demon

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Ron E
Guru
Guru

Re: New Dodge challenger Demon

Post by Ron E »

Same argument was made about super bikes. Idiots will always find ways to take themselves out.
Personally, I'm happy seeing all the OE's talking performance instead of extra cup holders. I remember the mid-late 70's. How sad that was. If you have a stash, pull out a hot rod mag from 77 or so. Articles on installing port-hole windows in your van.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

A 77 mustang II is enough evidence for me...
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

Cool car and factory warranties are nice to have of course, but you guys must be severely starved for boosted cars in your necks of the woods. All I really see here is overpriced marketing gimmicks because Turbo's and huffers have been big for many years.. now everyone seemingly needs 2 of them.. or 1 the size of 2. This bar was set pretty high a long time ago by Calloway, Lingenfelter, Bell, Banks and many other aftermarket tuners. What would Nelson build you for 100K?

So, I say screw the warranty.. I'm more interested in what it has left in it when some well known builder/tuner gets a hold of one. As it sits now I have seen more than a handful of 1,000 plus horsepower Hemi's running around the streets on cheater slicks. And of those I have seen 1 with timeslips in the high 8's. 60's a little soft as you'd expect for a turbo street geared car.. but it's a rocket after 300 feet.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

Have a friend who owns a Factory Five Cobra and he had it built with the Ford Racing 460 crate engine rated at 535 HP.
With the light weight of the car and 5 spd with 3.73 rear gear the thing scares the heck out of you in a 3rd gear pull.
You get on it in 2nd gear and you feel it spinning the tires any point in the pull...these are 275-50-15 M/T drag radials.
That's about all I would want on the street. Heck my old 1985 Mustang LX with the 427 Dart type Windsor is more than plenty for me....only 10's at 132.

2975 lbs. with the 427
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Just read in a trade journal (forgot which one) NHRA won't allow them.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
cab0154
Pro
Pro

Post by cab0154 »

I have friend who is talking about trading in his new stock scat pack challenger on a demon. I pointed out to him that he had issues getting his car to run in the 1/8th. First time I had ever been in the drivers seat of a challenger was in the staging lanes and ran an 8.20 right after he had gone a 9.70. I told him he might not be ready for a low 6 second car.
"Anyone who thinks the low RPM engine will be faster just does not have as much experience as the rest of us" -The late, great Joe Sherman.

You wont beat anyone if you do everything the same as everyone.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

The Scat packs are good value in today's money. 485 HP for 40K, 12's, and 25+ highway. Still 700 lbs too heavy. A ca that is primarily street driven just isn't worth $100K to me, no matter what it is. But, I'm cheap.
rickseeman

Post by rickseeman »

Ron E wrote:Everybody has one favorite or another. That's just personal taste and brand loyalty. I'm completely out of brand loyalty.
Like F'Bird said, it belongs in a 1000 lb. lighter package. That drivetrain at 320 lbs. would be faster than a speeding bullet.....
They already build that. It's called a Drag Pak.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

rickseeman wrote:
Ron E wrote:Everybody has one favorite or another. That's just personal taste and brand loyalty. I'm completely out of brand loyalty.
Like F'Bird said, it belongs in a 1000 lb. lighter package. That drivetrain at 320 lbs. would be faster than a speeding bullet.....
They already build that. It's called a Drag Pak.
No A/C. That's a deal breaker.
shiftbyear

Post by shiftbyear »

I feel this whole concept is a joke. As usual the corporate plate heads have taken an idea and bastardized it for profit. Back in the 60's you could buy a stripped out mustang, Camaro, or mopar with the top of the line motor on an average income. Today you can't touch them, I doubt if many Demons will ever accumulate any mileage. They will be scooped up by investors and traded like stock certificates. That's the BIG difference, in the 60's, musclecars were out tearing up the streets and getting people to work. Sorry for venting, but that 60's era of having fun is long gone. Also today you can get your car impounded for having a little fun on the street. That was unheard of back then. Harsh feedback welcome.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Hey, it's America land of the free, as long as you can afford it and it don't offend anyone.
wwmtlineman

Post by wwmtlineman »

2018's will come with a full legal NHRA cage & all the safety equipment. I made that up, but I would't doubt it for a second
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

shiftbyear wrote:I feel this whole concept is a joke. As usual the corporate plate heads have taken an idea and bastardized it for profit. Back in the 60's you could buy a stripped out mustang, Camaro, or mopar with the top of the line motor on an average income. Today you can't touch them, I doubt if many Demons will ever accumulate any mileage. They will be scooped up by investors and traded like stock certificates. That's the BIG difference, in the 60's, musclecars were out tearing up the streets and getting people to work. Sorry for venting, but that 60's era of having fun is long gone. Also today you can get your car impounded for having a little fun on the street. That was unheard of back then. Harsh feedback welcome.

X2
High Speed Combustion Pressure Tuning Equipment
TFX Engine Technology Inc.
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
www.tfxengine.com
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

"2018's will come with a full legal NHRA cage & all the safety equipment. I made that up, but I would't doubt it for a second."

That will be a 20k option.
AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Post by AMXstocker1 »

The drivetrain minus the rear axle would be awsome in a A-body. buy an old back-halfed bracket car of a duster, or dart and drop in that drive-train and you would have very usable, very fast car.