The true compression of stock 426 street hemi !

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

statsystems
Guru
Guru
Re: The true compression of stock 426 street hemi !

Post by statsystems »

wyrmrider wrote:internal pickup 7/16 or 1/2"?
or external
I'd use a dual external pump feed if legal
those pumps are very sensitive to intake restriction
you don't need heavy oil
are all the oil passages opened up in the block
I have a reamer on a long rod for the main oil galley
and check all the oil feeds- I've found broken drill bits
make sure the mains and the oil feed holes line up
etc etc
drill the front plugs to purge foam and lube the chain drill the thrusts
drill an oil squirter for the pump/ dist drive gerar

I forgot to mention how sensitive the gerotor pump is to inlet size. It's a big deal.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

I know when you cut everything down to NHRA minimum specs. you get 11. whatever compression but did you happen to take note of the Total Cc's
BEFORE milling anything?
Yeah my brother could have made a mistake in measuring or a calculation but just wanted to hear from others who may have checked a stock one the way it came from the factory.

8.5 or not our Cuda was a strong one on the street. Looking at some of the ET slips from late 1970 we were running low 13's at 106-107 with headers..4.10 Dana and slicks. Everything else was stock as delivered no carb tuning. We were just a couple of kids having fun with a Hemi!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Runit
Pro
Pro

Post by Runit »

I was at a dyno test of a Barton 526 street Hemi. It 's oil pressure dropped at the top of 200rpm/sec pulls. The person in charge thought that all the oil wasn't draining back from the heads at speed.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

427dart wrote:I

8.5 or not our Cuda was a strong one on the street. Looking at some of the ET slips from late 1970 we were running low 13's at 106-107 with headers..4.10 Dana and slicks. Everything else was stock as delivered no carb tuning. We were just a couple of kids having fun with a Hemi!

Exactly the same times as a same year 440 Six Pac with the same equipment in a Super B or Road Runner...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

statsystems wrote:
pdq67 wrote:As a side note...

I went in and priced a new '70-1/2 Hemi Challenger, 4-speed, posi, "Taxi-Car", using my '67 SS/RS Camaro as trade and the Salesman offered me $500 for my car and I just got up and left!

I think his car was like $4,000 or so? It's been too long so I may be off.. Fennels MOPAR dealership in Moberly, MO!

pdq67
You should have done it. The Hemi car has more value now. It did them too, but I'm partial to Chrysler stuff! LOL.
$3500 car down to $500 in three years, He can kiss my ass! BUT right, I shoulda bought it. We were both in college so couldn't eat the 10 mpg gas mileage.

But you know, my old '67 Camaro is out in my garage now!

pdq67
nhrastocker
Expert
Expert

Post by nhrastocker »

2.2=8 wrote:Wow!, I guess those engines were under rated.........I am interested in the oil pressure problem, as I am helping a fellow racer diagnose a oiling problem with his Indy Hemi; He is using a system 1 oil filter and loses pressure on the big end of the track. He has had the oil pan off many times looking for the cause, I'm suspecting the oil filter screen? What were the symptoms on the engine in your post?
Not the first one to have problems with the System 1 oil filter. Seen too many issues with them.
If someone wants a billet oil filter, I will only use the Pure Power oil filter with the proper element based on the oil weight and clearances.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

Well might have found something! Seems the TRW 12.5 pistons we swapped in back in '71 had a .050 LOWER compression height than the stock Chrysler
10.25 pistons.... 1.965 stock vs. 1.915 TRW 12.5
We will recheck the Cc's using the stock 10.25 pistons!
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

The plot thickens.....