Giving new life to GT40X heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: Giving new life to GT40X heads

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

What do you think is the potential of that Weiand 302W tunnel ram?
Once it is ported/ What will the casting allow?
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

Its going to take some work but I think it can be done...

You know the old saying.....use 302 parts make 302 power!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Realistically ... this difference in head casting machining is probably the main reason why I haven't seen any "fully ported" versions for getting concrete numbers from.

Do whatever you can to the particular ports on that head which is in front of you; again ... they are meant to be a high performance entry level head as a direct replacement for the OEM iron heads.
Don't allow yourself to get disappointed when they just don't cut it as becoming a cheap version RACING type head but, take full advantage of what they were meant to be.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

Casper393W wrote:Its going to take some work but I think it can be done...

You know the old saying.....use 302 parts make 302 power!
Just keep in mind that more refined and increasingly capable short turn designs can better handle higher imposed port velocities caused by those smaller upstream cross sections.

Also consider that straighter more upswept multi-carb manifold port designs can flow more air for any given CS.. compared to say, a lower entry angle single carb design. Just like the exhaust side.. the more bends and tighter the radii's become?.. the larger the pipe needs to become to ward off additional wall friction, turbulence, and cumulative overall flow losses.
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

Update.... I wanted to post where we are at. It seems that the SSR is way over active. We still have some tricks left to get the flow up past .400"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

Here are the current flow numbers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

I will bet David used the same valve job as the E7TE heads due to the flows being nearly identical to about .4" lift and then your bigger port gains on the E7's.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Casper393W wrote:Update.... I wanted to post where we are at. It seems that the SSR is way over active. We still have some tricks left to get the flow up past .400"

By the numbers ... Looks like you are going backwards.
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

Yup you are correct....once David cut the seats from .300 lift we have lost flow. The only material we removed on the port floor was just cleaning the casting. When we recorded the 252 cfm that was with the old valve job...which was wide as a house...now that the seat is working the low lift flow is up... We still need to try the hallow trick in the port floor! Hopefully it fix the issue....
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

Sorry it has been so long since the last post...I have been working long hours... This is our latest test. It seems the more that we work the ssr we gain cfm past .500 lift and lose at low to mid lifts... Since the goal of this project was to see what could be done at a simple level this in my opinion is it! Sure I could go all out but like it has been said before.....you get past the entry level head....

Our next goal now that we know that we have an honest 252cfm at .600 lift...is to see how much power we can extract from this 393w. Any guesses?????
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

Pro question poster.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Casper393W wrote:
Our next goal now that we know that we have an honest 252cfm at .600 lift...is to see how much power we can extract from this 393w. Any guesses?????
Compression ratio and camshaft will make a huge difference here. :wink:
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

Walter R. Malik wrote:
Casper393W wrote:
Compression ratio and camshaft will make a huge difference here. :wink:
Its going to have plenty of the 3 C's. Compression, Cam, Carbs ;) 11.3 to 1 "I will disclose the cam specs later on".. And the tunnel ram with 2 BLP worked over 1850's.

My goal is and has always been 500 but David is pretty confident that we will see a good bit more...time will tell
I'm turning my F100 into a vintage looking newer replica of the Famed F100XL that was built as a B/FX er by Ford to Compete against the D100 built by Dodge that used a 426 Max Wedge... Back in the day they ran low 12's in the 1/4.

People back in the day didnt waste their time running a 351w. You had to run the Cleveland if you wanted power...so on the side of the hood scoop im putting
"The Other 351" I want to see how many will pick up on what I am trying to say?
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

David told me he has one more thing to try before settle. He is going to try some different angles on the seat. We "smoked" the air on our last test and the air is not staying on the floor like it should in the lower mid range also.

Has anyone worked with a Ford Racing "Z" head?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Casper393W wrote:
Has anyone worked with a Ford Racing "Z" head?
There are two versions of the Ford Racing Performance Parts "Z" head;
ONE, (the original version), uses intake rockers with "on center" pushrod cups which are installed slightly slanted.
The other, (latest version), uses .125" offset pushrod cup intake rockers which look straight.

The intake stud holes are machined in a slightly different place along with different guideplates. The castings are the same.

The latest head is also offered with already CNC'd ports; (but, that does not mean you can not improve upon them).