4.3 vortec v6 OBD2 build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

overS10ded
4.3 vortec v6 OBD2 build

Post by overS10ded »

I'm building a chevy '96 OBD2 Vortec v6. I have many questions but am still planning and collecting parts. First question is about the use of performance balancer/damper with the crank position reluctor ring. I believe the OBD2 w/crank snout mt reluctor wheel pinched in place by the balancer/damper uses a shorter hubbed damper??

Good times!
Bruce
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Re: 4.3 vortec v6 OBD2 build

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Look for an 02 or later engine that uses mpfi instead of poppet valves for the injectors. Unless youre planning on using a marine manifold with standard injectors or an edelbrock manifold...then disregard . They also have the better ecm, the 0411. You can go even newer than that and gain distributorless ignition and a few other useful bits.

You can go over to syty.net and check out what they're doing, too. Back in the day, they were on top of 4.3L performance. But I suspect the info there is getting stale. Still, it's a valuable resource for all things 4.3L they've been swapping 96+ Vortec shortblocks into their trucks for a while. I'd start there.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

I've built several of them(V6 and V8) for my work trucks/vans and others toys through the years. What's the chassis?

Have tons of parts left over too if you're interested. Fully ported/epoxied heads(LS valve/beehive spring conversion) with matching ported/epoxied intake. Some bored and ported OEM and granatelli MAF's. Couple cold air induction kits. Also have the updated MPFI mini-injectors mentioned above with extremely low mileage(well under 10k) and VMax intake manifold spacer kit. PM me if interested.
overS10ded

Post by overS10ded »

midnightbluS10 wrote:Look for an 02 or later engine that uses mpfi instead of poppet valves for the injectors. Unless youre planning on using a marine manifold with standard injectors or an edelbrock manifold...then disregard . They also have the better ecm, the 0411. You can go even newer than that and gain distributorless ignition and a few other useful bits.

You can go over to syty.net and check out what they're doing, too. Back in the day, they were on top of 4.3L performance. But I suspect the info there is getting stale. Still, it's a valuable resource for all things 4.3L they've been swapping 96+ Vortec shortblocks into their trucks for a while. I'd start there.
The engine I am using is the '96 I mentioned. I have run a ProCharger w/Marine manifold conversion, 44# inj, 0411 PCM and EFILive for tuning for 8 years and over 30,000 miles of DD use, when I'm in the states. I am familiar with the other forums and I AM there too. Trying to ask good questions. Trying to find good info!

Good times!
Bruce
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

make sure you use the updated aluminum intake gaskets. far superior to the plastic versions.
overS10ded
Steel harmonic balancer for '96 w/reluctor wheel

Post by overS10ded »

What performance harmonic balancer/damper options are there for a 4.3 with the reluctor ring on the crank (which is pinched in place between balancer/damper and crankshaft). I am running a ProCharger centrifugal and I want a better balancer than the stock cast iron one-steel would be better. I have found a TCI "Rattler" however I am wondering about the KS getting false readings from their 9 ball system-that evidently rattles. I sent a message asking ATI about my application on their website several days ago. Right-no answer! So I have read through 100's of forums and the other option is to machine down the snout .100 +/- off a performance balancer for a earlier non-obd2 engine. Just compare the oem that came off and have the new balancer snout machined to same length. I guess that might be the way to go but hoping someone has built a 4.3 here that used something other than oem damper.

Good times!
Bruce