Engine run with no front galley plugs installed

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Engine run with no front galley plugs installed

Post by MadBill »

If the thread's even short enough to let if fall out before it bottoms on the gear...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
BigBlocksOnTop2
Pro
Pro
Location: Chancellorsville Battle Field, Chancellorsville, Virginia

Post by BigBlocksOnTop2 »

Get the oil filter from the dude. Have the oil tested for ZDDP and enough for a solid cam. You may catch him in a lie.
The Radius Kid
Expert
Expert

Post by The Radius Kid »

MT Jeff wrote:i would think if they unscrewed they would take out the cam gear or at least damage it.
Ssh.Don't give the other guy any ideas. :shock:
The Nazis didn't lose WWII,they just changed uniforms.Now they run the place.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Forget all the details. Just tell his attorney to set a small claims court date and let the judge decide. The attorney is probably a bluff. If you do go to court, he has to prove it's your fault and I don't know how he's going to do that. But it is true small claims court is very unpredictable. Anything can happen based on the judge. But I still think you would have a 60% chance of winning.
Joe Facciano
Biteme
Pro
Pro

Post by Biteme »

Let me guess, the lawyers name is "Slippin Jimmy"?
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Don't let Judge Judy do it as she doesn't like old cars too much. :lol: Good luck to you whatever you choose!!
Jim
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

JoePorting wrote:Forget all the details. Just tell his attorney to set a small claims court date and let the judge decide. The attorney is probably a bluff. If you do go to court, he has to prove it's your fault and I don't know how he's going to do that. But it is true small claims court is very unpredictable. Anything can happen based on the judge. But I still think you would have a 60% chance of winning.
Don't count on it. Lawyers always make money on these things.
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

I'm no attorney, but I've seen cases like this thrown out because the buyer/plaintiff refused to let the seller/defendant even look at or try to fix what was wrong as yours did.

Personally I agree with that, if you make a mistake, it's only right you get a chance to fix it. But obviously it's the judge who decides not me...
machinedave
Guru
Guru

Post by machinedave »

I had something like this happen almost 20 years ago. The shop we did some work for removed the heads and sent us a bill for $850 for their labor to remove the heads and for a competitors machine shop to fix them. We said "no way are we paying for that. See you in court". We never heard from them again.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

Been fixing cars for 40 years, been to court twice won both times. For what it is worth this is my advice. As some said might be cheaper to pay and move on. But if you just think right is right, documentation is every thing, and a lawyer will most likely cost this guy more than he will get from you, so it may end up small claims court. If you wind up in small claims court don't go alone, take a professional witness with you to back up your story. Judges are not very mechanical minded, but the weight of two professionals telling him the same thing is your only chance of winning. First he did not give you the chance to make it right, second you told him no warranty, which I hope you have in writing. I teach engines at a technical college, when they leave the plugs out they don't have any oil pressure, I go through that at least once a semester. Most of the time it is a SBC, and they don't stake the plugs, you can hear them pop out when you run the drill. I have been hired as a professional witness several times, if you get someone to testify for you the more titles and certifications they have the better.
Racerrick
Expert
Expert

Post by Racerrick »

the motor would have had zero oil pressure at idle and the lifters noise would have been extremely loud.