Valve overlap

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

302ford
Valve overlap

Post by 302ford »

I'd like to learn more about what happens during the valve overlap period. Like how do you determine the correct degrees of overlap. Also what things happen during the overlap period. I know David Vizard says overlap is most important event with lobe center angle being second. I know others based on there experience have different options on what events are important. So I was hoping we could have a discussion on this
Randy
novadude
Guru
Guru

Re: Valve overlap

Post by novadude »

To add to the topic, how does a restrictive exhaust (think stock manifolds) affect overlap selection and timing of IVO and EVC?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Let's first discuss what your power goals are for your 302 so we can relate info about Cams / valve timing/ air flow needs better!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

I believe you've got it backwards; LSA first, overlap based on performance requirements second. And all of his stuff is based on an unrestricted intake and exhaust. If either of those are restricted, it pretty-much goes out the window.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Direct to your question, think in terms of pressures when both valves are open. More exhaust back-pressure will cause reverse flow to occur sooner. That is the "why". For fixing it....The cam theorists can take it from here.
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

Very complex subject and is exactly why so many people get it completely wrong or at least partially wrong for their specific application. I'd highly suggest using google to get your head wrapped around the basic players involved here then come back for specific clarifications to the newer more refined questions you'll surely have on the matter. A local search around here will also bring up cam timing and overlap discussions.

An example of what you will learn is that IVC is responsible for the amount of dynamic compression ratio the engine develops(trapped combustion volume), but that optimum number changes with CID/valve size(port flow and its relative cross sectional efficiency) and rpm levels. Changing EVO can adjust blowdown pressures to "hit the pipe" according to exhaust spec's and pipe size/velocity profiles. Generally needs to be earlier to allow more time for poor exhausts.. or higher rpm capability(needing more time to get the larger volume mass evacuated while having less chance of intake reversion at higher rev's). Assuming an extremely efficient exhaust system, an earlier EVO can also help "pick up" too big an intake port/valve in lower lift ranges. OTOH, assuming the exhaust system is better than it actually is will lead to increased reversion on same engine when EVO is advanced too much. Obviously way more to it than that, just a quick dumbed down simplistic version of a couple of the parameters involved with cam design.

Engine size, operating range, and peak rpm matters greatly too but the cylinder heads/induction tract are THE biggest factors for determining what amount of mass and when pressure differentials actually occur. Figure those numbers out and you will be better able to pick a camshaft that controls the mass relative to the pistons movement.
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

Which head you use on a Ford makes all the difference in the world. A Boss 302 head likes overlap , an E7TE (5.0) doesn't like it at all.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

The massively over size Boss heads on a 302 need the overlap to get the Intake charge moving even at 180 fps before 3500 rpm!
Talk about a head / cid Combo that can't exceed 100% VE until 7500 rpm, that's it!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

I know , I've dealt with it for 47 years. The funny thing is the tight LSA/ high overlap doesn't hurt the engine's ability to rev over 9,000. Increasing the cubic inches while keeping the rod short does wonders too.
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

RevTheory wrote:I believe you've got it backwards; LSA first, overlap based on performance requirements second. And all of his stuff is based on an unrestricted intake and exhaust. If either of those are restricted, it pretty-much goes out the window.
Really? Lobe separation first?

It's resultant of the timing events, not a design criteria.

8)
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

EDC wrote:
RevTheory wrote:I believe you've got it backwards; LSA first, overlap based on performance requirements second. And all of his stuff is based on an unrestricted intake and exhaust. If either of those are restricted, it pretty-much goes out the window.

8)
Ya, there's that! Lol
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

I was referring to Vizard's method.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

EDC wrote:

8)
As things stand at present it is probably the principle criteria. I explained that in a post last year. The timing events are a result of the LCA and the duration involved. Why try to pick four points when one angle and rpm related duration can generate everything else.
Dv
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

David Vizard wrote:
EDC wrote:

8)
As things stand at present it is probably the principle criteria. I explained that in a post last year. The timing events are a result of the LCA and the duration involved. Why try to pick four points when one angle and rpm related duration can generate everything else.
Dv

Because that would be too simple and all the gurus couldn't baffle us with bullcrap.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

statsystems wrote: Because that would be too simple and all the gurus couldn't baffle us with bullcrap.
Extremely well said!