Help with sump baffling/windage tray

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

pamotorman
Guru
Guru
Re: Help with sump baffling/windage tray

Post by pamotorman »

also used this oil pump mounted baffle to prevent the oil from moving up the back of the pan on acceleration. http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/23010/ ... As-C8P8HAQ
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

All great suggestions. I swished around some kerosene this morning in the mock sump and it seems to work well enough.
Im finding the mig is terrible for the job. I may take it to get tig'ed . Im not the worlds greatest welder, but ive played with all the settings and it just keeps chicken pooping!
ctk30

Post by ctk30 »

What welder, wire and settings are you using?

Here's my mig welded pan (outlets aren't braced)

k1ob.com
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

It's a minimig 120. 0.6mm wire with CO2 gas. Steel sheet is 1mm thick. CO2 set to 15 psi, wire speed at medium, power on medium then high and still poor penetration, chicken poop porous looking welds and hard to run a continuous bead without splatter. Metal is very clean and shiny.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Maybe the C02...Try 75/25 mix gas, it mig welds smoother than straight argon and with less spatter. I am running .030" wire in my 180 amp machine. I had better luck with smaller diameter wire when I was using the smaller amp machines. Get some scrap and get the welder right first. If you are still having a lot of trouble, just stop and have someone Tig it. Your garage floor will be happier.