Z-28 Damper and Flywheel questions.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

tresi
Pro
Pro
Re: Z-28 Damper and Flywheel questions.

Post by tresi »

I personally witnessed stock 400 chevy flywheel come apart at a truck pull. Fortunantly no one was hurt but it came damn close. The sanctioning body policed flywheels via affidavit only. The flywheel blew somewhere around 8400rpm and the guy had it at 8600 many time but it just as well might have happened during the 1st trip to 7500.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

The safety aspect has been well-covered, and I thoroughly agree--SFI.

As alluded to but not specifically stated, the OEM parts don't do a good job of controlling torsional vibration beyond the "expected" rpm range of the stock engines. A "Z/28" damper would be a better choice than most, but I think you can do better still.
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken »

Paul,
My factory Z/28 had MAL or MALA forged or cast into the mallable (sp?) iron 8" damper. They were heavy. The 12-15 pound flywheel was also mallable iron. Paul, if you remember any of my comments from the Chevelle site, you know I would not drive ANY stick shift SBC without a scatter shield. I've seen hydraulic lifter three speeds with stock FW blow to pieces. 1959 283 with 30-30 Duntov blew up at Alton Dragway and cut the frame in half on one side. When car came to a stop, the front clip was facing toward the rear. Was Gene McClain's car! His brother, Jerry, also had a horrendous blow up doing the same thing.

The very first thing I added to my Z was a shield. Headers came next. Then fixed all the things the factory did to pass emissions test, which I've enumerated in other posts. Advancing the 30-30 8 degrees did wonders for street driveability. I also ran lifters at .035". Never hurt anything. I strongly advise anyone with a 30-30 to install an 8* bushing. Will still sound the same and drive much better. Cheap and easy!!! My Z came with 2.2 and 3.83's. It would go 70 MPH in 1st gear!!!!!. 8.43:1 total reduction is not a good hole shot gear for a 302 but still OK on the hyway for a 302. 2.54 first gear is much better.

I never checked cam timing with the 8* advance and loose lifters, but it pulled very strong for a 302. Also had 36" long Douglas Muffler Co. headers, which also helped low end, but don't know how much.
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Thanks guys, you are reaffirming what I already know.

Don't scrimp here!

SFI and a scattershield and block plate.

pdq67
bill k

Post by bill k »

When I was a sophomore in high school (1963), a friend of mine had a newly acquired
1957 Corvette. The car was a 283/283. Well, one day he was showing off in the student
parking lot by highly revving the engine. I guess he revved the engine too high one to
many times, the flywheel exploded. Fragments came up through the floor, dashboard,
hood, and left front fender. The driver was extremely lucky, he exited the car uninjured.
Keep in mind that the car was completely stock and all original. Back in 1963 this was just
a used sports car. When he repaired the car the small block was gone and a 409/425 sat in
the engine bay, complete with a hole cut into the hood for two scoops on the AFB carbs.
The motto, use a shield and be safe. you just never know when something like this can happen.
Bill