2pc timing covers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cgarb
Guru
Guru

2pc timing covers

Post by cgarb »

How much of a pain are the stamped steel 2 pc timing covers for a sbc? Are they an oil leak nightmare or do they work ok? I have a few cams I could swap into my car this year and try. Thought this would save some work.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: 2pc timing covers

Post by MadBill »

FWIW, Speedmaster has a good looking 2 piece aluminum cover for about thirty bucks. I paid ~ 4X for a Cloyes one instead though...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Speedmaster scares me...lol.
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

I wouldn't trust a stamped 2 piece cover
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I was tempted to try speedmasters $80 sbc http://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/746/P ... 9/10002/-1 , kinda like a cheap copy of the billet type but I just got a $20 steel one off ebay instead. Far as I can tell any will leak, whether it's installation error or too much crankcase pressure idk. I read for the steel type the trick was too add three tah four screws like the edlebrock stamp alum one https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-4242 I don't plan to use too strong a sealer for the cover and bend it up when taking it apart either just a light coating on the gasket. Maybe something better for the thin piece so hopefully I don't disturb that seal on cam change.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

The Speedmaster one from Jegs tempted me too, I don't see any dowel pins to align the two pieces just the countersinks on the holes. I foresee front seal issues with that one. I think I will pass on the 2pc covers then, just change cams the hard way with no oil leaks. Good thing I changed my K member around so I can remove my pan with the motor in the car. No worse way to lose at the track then to get tossed because of an oil leak.
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

cgarb.... The 82 degree taper on the flat head screw and 82 degree countersink on the part will line the two pieces perfectly.... If it were counter bored and you were using SHCS it would be subject to error due to tolerance stacking in the clearance hole and size of counter bore....It looks like a nice piece.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Too late, already together with the 1pc cover. No in car cam changes for me.