Engine Balancing Questio: Replacing Aluminum Rods with Steel

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Racerrick
Expert
Expert
Re: Engine Balancing Questio: Replacing Aluminum Rods with S

Post by Racerrick »

what is the rod length? You coud buy some Crower maxi light rods as they can be in the low 500g area for a total weight and a lightweight pin instead of spending $300 or more on a mallory balance job. I would guess that the existing mallory will have to be replaced with bigger pieces or flanked on either side so you could be looking at 4 pieces $$$$. To save Mallory on the rear you could go external by welding weight to flywheel flange.
Racerrick
Expert
Expert

Post by Racerrick »

Procharged 434 wrote:Yep, Dave is correct, the GRP rods we ran in our old F2 procharger 434 sbc, but now we are doing this N/A combination for some bracket/index racing, so we are going to go back with steel rods for less maintenance.
I see this is a drag motor, in other words, no run time with high transient RPM. My professional opinion is put an ATI balancer on it and some light weight piston pins and run it.
Merc Man

Post by Merc Man »

Have you had the crank in the balancer with the new bob weight to check how much the imbalance will be at the front and rear plane?
Procharged 434
Pro
Pro

Post by Procharged 434 »

No we sure haven't Merc Man, we were just trying to figure out the difference in weight between our old rod and piston, and our new rod and piston.