Measuring KB pistons with coated skirts.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Pablo

Measuring KB pistons with coated skirts.

Post by Pablo »

I have these KB Claimer Hypereutectic pistons and the spec sheet here: https://www.uempistons.com/installation ... lation.pdf says to measure the pistons in a spot where the coating is present but that the coating must be removed to properly measure them. Obviously I'm not going to remove the coating, so I did my best to measure the bottom edge of the skirt that is not coated.

At this point I come up with 3.9987 or so. The recommended bore size on the piston box is 4.0010. The measurement on the skirt I get is like 4.0004, the location is only slightly above the uncoated tips where I am getting my original measurement.

If I have a bore of 4.001, that would mean they set you up with a clearance of .0023 out of the box based upon my measure of the uncoated skirt tips and only .0006 clearance to the coating. The spec sheet gives a range of .0015 to .0020 for mild applications. So if I shot for the middle of that range, I would literally have an interference fit with the bore to the coating. Is that right?

As it is, I have a 4.0015 bore and getting the pistons to slide in feels like an interference fit. Can I calculate piston to wall clearance based upon where I'm measuring these things from? I.e. with my bore I have .0028 clearance.

Seems a little wide but they are super tight at the coating.

Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pablo

Re: Measuring KB pistons with coated skirts.

Post by Pablo »

fixed the photo
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

Right or wrong, when I use coatings I measure the piston in the same spot as I would a uncoated piston.

If I need to ask my machinist t increase the bore size to get the p-w clearance I desire, I do so.

I use Swaintech, and they have always given solid technical advice.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
Speedbump
Guru
Guru

Post by Speedbump »

KB is now using Line to Line coatings but I don't know if these pistons are that. I'm working with a piston that has the coating for a jr. dragster as a test for these little cars. The instructions from line to line talk about having a slightly tight fit on a DRY cylinder. The APC coating is supposed to wear to the proper fit during break in, hold oil and minimize wear after that. I know this is not apples to apples but calling those guys might help your situation. They were very good with info when I was setting this up.
Speedbump
"If it was easy, everybody would do it."
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

Sicne the piston is barrel-shaped, I don't think you can trust any measurement taken at the bottom of the skirt.
wfolarry
HotPass
HotPass

Post by wfolarry »

If they have the Line2Line coating on them the piston size will be engraved on the underside of the piston.