Chevy 396 Stroker Question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Sajomatic
Chevy 396 Stroker Question

Post by Sajomatic »

I have a friend who wants to build a SBC 396 stroker. He is looking at a Scat 3.875 stroke crank and the Scat ProComp 7/16 stroker rods. He wants to run a solid roller cam. Will a small base circle cam be needed? Cam will be around 265 @ .050 , .650 lift and a 106 centerline.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru
Re: Chevy 396 Stroker Question

Post by DaveMcLain »

.900 base circle with a .430 tall lobe should clear with that rod and little or no work.
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

Run a 283 rod journal crankshaft with compstar rods they will clear a standard base circle cam. less bearing speed & larger base circle a win win.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

That's about the best rod there is when it comes to clearing the cam.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

SBC journals are 1.868" in diameter or .934" in radius.
Big Joe says he runs .900 base circles in 383's
.930 can work with rods designed for strokers
I like the small journal idea
sometimes 4" strokes take a .875 with Eagle H beams
Measure twice cut once
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Sajomatic wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:13 pm I have a friend who wants to build a SBC 396 stroker. He is looking at a Scat 3.875 stroke crank and the Scat ProComp 7/16 stroker rods. He wants to run a solid roller cam. Will a small base circle cam be needed? Cam will be around 265 @ .050 , .650 lift and a 106 centerline.
I seem to remember the 10.5/1 650 HP pump gas 396 that Terry Walters and I did a few years back used the Scat strocker clearanced rods and had very minimal clearance problems. It's a little cloudy here since my still recent brain surgery but as I recall we only had to grind a little off the rod shoulders to use a stock base circle. Mr. Mike Jones Sir -- can you throw any more light on this situation - I'd hate to be giving the wrong info here.

AS for the cam you are intending to use this will work just fine so long as your build is given a decent CR - that is to say between 13 and 14/1

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Here ya go:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

David Vizard wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:11 am
Sajomatic wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:13 pm I have a friend who wants to build a SBC 396 stroker. He is looking at a Scat 3.875 stroke crank and the Scat ProComp 7/16 stroker rods. He wants to run a solid roller cam. Will a small base circle cam be needed? Cam will be around 265 @ .050 , .650 lift and a 106 centerline.
I seem to remember the 10.5/1 650 HP pump gas 396 that Terry Walters and I did a few years back used the Scat strocker clearanced rods and had very minimal clearance problems. It's a little cloudy here since my still recent brain surgery but as I recall we only had to grind a little off the rod shoulders to use a stock base circle. Mr. Mike Jones Sir -- can you throw any more light on this situation - I'd hate to be giving the wrong info here.

AS for the cam you are intending to use this will work just fine so long as your build is given a decent CR - that is to say between 13 and 14/1

DV
A 420 cid BBC can't get 14:1 compression and will be lucky to get 13:1, How many inches was yours David?
PRH
Guru
Guru

Re:

Post by PRH »

DCal wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:31 pm

DV
A 420 cid BBC can't get 14:1 compression and will be lucky to get 13:1, How many inches was yours David?
First line:
I have a friend who wants to build a SBC 396 stroker.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

DV
Is this the build? http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engine ... all-block/
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

GARY C wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:07 pm

DV
That's GOT to be the one. I remember that one.

For Sale @ Terry Walter's Perf as a crate motor; plenty of specs on the site. He offers a version that runs on 87 Octane that is sold as a 525HP variant, too; made 582HP and 534 ft lbs on cold dyno air / coolant. http://twperformanceparts.com/index.php ... ct_id=3011

Only 192cc CNC heads; 2.055" intake valve on a 4.030" bore.

Adam
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert
Re: DO YOU WANT TO JOIN THE ILLUMINATI

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

IlluminatiAgent wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:20 pm HELLO! WELCOME TO THE GREAT TEMPLE OF ILLUMINATI WORLD RICHES.

Are you a business Man, politician, musical, student and you want to be rich, powerful and be famous in life. You can achieve your dreams by being a member of the Illuminati brotherhood, and receive a monthly salary of $500,000 USD. We are ready to change your life, we can make your Dreams come true, also we are going to give you everything that you need in this Life ....

*Riches 

*Power

*Famous

*Wealth

With this all your dreams and heart desire can be fully accomplish,So have you make up your mind that you want to join the great Illuminati brotherhood to become rich and famous in life population and also you will be protected from all evils against you and your family.
If you're really ready to be a member of the great Illuminati Brotherhood then contact us via our official Email: {officialilluminati999@gmail.com}
Wow. First Mike buys up SpeedTalk and now he gets personal invites to join the Illumaniti. From Cam Grinder to controlling the power structures of the modern world in weeks! *Grin* :D

P.S. Of COURSE the Illumaniti has a Gmail account...

Adam
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

NewbVetteGuy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:42 pm
GARY C wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:07 pm

DV
That's GOT to be the one. I remember that one.

For Sale @ Terry Walter's Perf as a crate motor; plenty of specs on the site. He offers a version that runs on 87 Octane that is sold as a 525HP variant, too; made 582HP and 534 ft lbs on cold dyno air / coolant. http://twperformanceparts.com/index.php ... ct_id=3011

Only 192cc CNC heads; 2.055" intake valve on a 4.030" bore.

Adam
Yes for some reason all the photos are gone but this from the article.
Now we come to the rods. This is a critical aspect of the build. The problem with many rods is that they require a lot of block cutting to give the bolt shoulder clearance with both the block and the camshaft. In addition to this, the bolt head also runs into the pan rail so that also needs to be cut for clearance. The Scat stroker rod aggressively addresses these issues. By utilizing top-grade material for the rods, minimizing bolt thread engagement to the shortest length possible without compromising strength and a compact design on the cap’s bolt platform Scat has reduced the rod’s mass in the areas most critical to a stroker. The result is that the rod actually has as much as 0.060-inch clearance with a stock base circle cam.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: DO YOU WANT TO JOIN THE ILLUMINATI

Post by GARY C »

NewbVetteGuy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:47 pm
IlluminatiAgent wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:20 pm HELLO! WELCOME TO THE GREAT TEMPLE OF ILLUMINATI WORLD RICHES.

Are you a business Man, politician, musical, student and you want to be rich, powerful and be famous in life. You can achieve your dreams by being a member of the Illuminati brotherhood, and receive a monthly salary of $500,000 USD. We are ready to change your life, we can make your Dreams come true, also we are going to give you everything that you need in this Life ....

*Riches 

*Power

*Famous

*Wealth

With this all your dreams and heart desire can be fully accomplish,So have you make up your mind that you want to join the great Illuminati brotherhood to become rich and famous in life population and also you will be protected from all evils against you and your family.
If you're really ready to be a member of the great Illuminati Brotherhood then contact us via our official Email: {officialilluminati999@gmail.com}
Wow. First Mike buys up SpeedTalk and now he gets personal invites to join the Illumaniti. From Cam Grinder to controlling the power structures of the modern world in weeks! *Grin* :D

P.S. Of COURSE the Illumaniti has a Gmail account...

Adam
What my boss told their boss!
Luke4 5And the devil took him up and showed him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time, 6and said to him, “To you I will give all this authority and their glory, for it has been delivered to me, and I give it to whom I will. 7If you, then, will worship me, it will all be yours.” 8And Jesus answered him, “It is written,

“‘You shall worship the Lord your God,
and him only shall you serve.’”
Please Note!
DCal
Expert
Expert

Re: Re:

Post by DCal »

PRH wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:54 pm
DCal wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:31 pm

DV
First line:
I have a friend who wants to build a SBC 396 stroker.
My apologies, I didn't read that correctly