General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
I need to get my 400 block worked over!

Post by pdq67 »

And I am serious here!

From Columbia, MO, where do I send it to get it, "shake & baked", or, "hot tanked", and then bored and decked using a plate!! My junk 325" engine is coming to life....

Central MO just doesn't seem to have many Old-Fashioned Machine shops around is why I ask...

Surely I don't have to ship my block to Carl at CNC N/E!!! If I have the name right?

Or up to the North to that Shop?

pdq67
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: I need to get my 400 block worked over!

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Places local to you that you can ask as to who (local) does their auto machine work..
Local racers at local oval, dirt, drag race tracks.
Local marinaa.
Local car dealerships.
local truck repair shops.

Local auto parts chains napa etc etc..

All these will use local machibe shop talent to get there stuff done.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

If your serious and not gonna bicker on price, or drop it off and leave it not picked up after it's done, then,

Creason Racing Engines
17 Hilltop Drive
Troy, MO.
636-528-2239

Google shows he's 86 miles from Columbia.

I got his cell phone too,... but you don't get it yet. LOL

He has nice Rottler CNC machine that will bore it and deck both.
And diamond hone. Rottler also.

I like to have him do all my machine work, I'm headed there Friday again.
I'm hesitant to get him involved without knowing who I'm recommending him to,
So,..Don't waste his time, or mention my name if your not serious.

Randy
psychomotors
Pro
Pro

Post by psychomotors »

randy331 wrote:If your serious and not gonna bicker on price, or drop it off and leave it not picked up after it's done, then,

Randy
I love the reply,lol. Sounds like you have been stung a few times , me too. "Buddies" have a way of making YOU look like an ass,lol. :roll:
Everyone appreciates your honesty , until you're honest with them , then you're an @$$hole.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

My junk 325" engine is coming to life...
If your serious and not gonna bicker on price, . . . He has nice Rottler CNC machine that will bore it and deck both.
And diamond hone.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Maybe could rig up a boring bar that runs off of a tractor PTO shaft and bore and hone in the back shed. Use a 7" disc grinder with a straight edge and feeler gauges to get it decked flat...lol. CNC and diamond hone...really?
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

You guys are sounding????????? Pretty whatever... Paul is finally getting his stuff together and this?? [-X
GURU is only a name.
Adam
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

af2 wrote:You guys are sounding????????? Pretty whatever... Paul is finally getting his stuff together and this?? [-X
Just pointing out Joe is a busy guy, so don't waste his time if he's not serious when he calls.
Joe said they did 17 engines last month plus other machine work. Bored and honed a 6.0 LS and a valve job, balanced an assy, oh I guess 2 valve jobs, gonna do guides and a 3 rd valve job and angle mill some heads, and let me dyno too, so I also don't want his time wasted. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
He's been working 50-60 hour weeks and still fell behind in feb., but Joe is the kind that will get it done if he's ready.

No disrespect intended, and I hope PDQ gets his engine together, and at the cubes he wants, not what everyone on here says he should. :D

Randy
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

pdq67 wrote:And I am serious here!

From Columbia, MO, where do I send it to get it, "shake & baked", or, "hot tanked", and then bored and decked using a plate!! My junk 325" engine is coming to life....

Central MO just doesn't seem to have many Old-Fashioned Machine shops around is why I ask...

Surely I don't have to ship my block to Carl at CNC N/E!!! If I have the name right?

Or up to the North to that Shop?

pdq67
"Shake & bake" Leave the old main bearings, cam bearings, maincaps on and plug the lifter bores if you have it shot blasted. I'd rather have it hot tanked or clean it myself than have all the surfaces peened with shot.
Pro question poster.
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

How close are you to St Louis if convinient you might contact an acquaintance of mine named Steve Davenport he is involved with the high performance program multiple engine and chassis dyno's kinda opperation @ Ranken university? So he may have some insight into qualified machine shops in his local. Its an impressive program. PM me if you want to contact him.
Last edited by user-612937456 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

Post by MotionMachine »

IMO I wouldn't be looking for an "old fashioned machine shop" in the first place. Not that older equipment can't do a fine job with the right operator, it's just that old often goes with worn out. Was somebody suggesting that CNC and diamond aren't good?
bigfoot584
Pro
Pro

Post by bigfoot584 »

randy331 wrote:If your serious and not gonna bicker on price, or drop it off and leave it not picked up after it's done, then,

Creason Racing Engines
17 Hilltop Drive
Troy, MO.
636-528-2239

Google shows he's 86 miles from Columbia.

He has nice Rottler CNC machine that will bore it and deck both.
And diamond hone. Rottler also.

I like to have him do all my machine work, I'm headed there Friday again.

Randy
I have to respect a person who would respect another person time like that, that's class =D>
old_chopper

Post by old_chopper »

Hatfield Racing Engines
Joplin, MO
Tony Hatfield
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

randy331 wrote:
af2 wrote:You guys are sounding????????? Pretty whatever... Paul is finally getting his stuff together and this?? [-X
Just pointing out Joe is a busy guy, so don't waste his time if he's not serious when he calls.
Joe said they did 17 engines last month plus other machine work. Bored and honed a 6.0 LS and a valve job, balanced an assy, oh I guess 2 valve jobs, gonna do guides and a 3 rd valve job and angle mill some heads, and let me dyno too, so I also don't want his time wasted. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
He's been working 50-60 hour weeks and still fell behind in feb., but Joe is the kind that will get it done if he's ready.

No disrespect intended, and I hope PDQ gets his engine together, and at the cubes he wants, not what everyone on here says he should. :D

Randy
Randy, that was at the pto bullcrap. Not you at all..
GURU is only a name.
Adam
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I didn't mean to wad any panties, I was just poking fun. Going to be hard to talk about the ol' junk 325 when it's CNC decked, bored and diamond honed.