Harmonic dampener heat

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Harmonic dampener heat

Post by BOOT »

I've read in the past that elastomer dampeners create heat from a few diff sources, ie like TCI rattlers description. I kinda wondered how much actually not too long ago, then just saw this article today http://www.enginelabs.com/news/engine-h ... n-to-heat/

An argument could be made that it doesn't matter to a moving vehicle, but if it creates heat it can not absorb or dissipate the engines heat. drag it wouldn't really matter but maybe for other types of racing.

Thoughts?
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Stef
Expert
Expert

Re: Harmonic dampener heat

Post by Stef »

Both viscous and elastomer dampers generate heat when they are working from the shearing action of the silicone fluid/rubber. This is from the internal strains in the shearing medium similar to bending a piece of steel strip backwards and forwards really fast, the bend will begin to get hot. If the silicone fluid or rubber gets too hot they degrade and the damper will no longer operate properly. For the rubber damper, its heat capacity is generally dependent on damper size, rubber compound and rubber volume. It can be kept cooler by using ducting or by designing the damper to aid cooling of the rubber e.g. cooling fins/vanes. Fluid dampers on very high output engines often have vanes or fins on their casing.
For endurance or road racing bigger is generally better. Drag race can get away with smaller dampers mostly as they run quickly through the torsionals.
TTV Racing - Race flywheels, clutches, drive shafts and valve guides - over 5000 applications & custom one off's or production runs - made in England.
Suppliers to GT3, LeMans, WRC, Global X-Cross, WTCC, BTCC, F3 and more!
Visit our Instagram Page!
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

Stef wrote:Both viscous and elastomer dampers generate heat when they are working from the shearing action of the silicone fluid/rubber. This is from the internal strains in the shearing medium similar to bending a piece of steel strip backwards and forwards really fast, the bend will begin to get hot. If the silicone fluid or rubber gets too hot they degrade and the damper will no longer operate properly. For the rubber damper, its heat capacity is generally dependent on damper size, rubber compound and rubber volume. It can be kept cooler by using ducting or by designing the damper to aid cooling of the rubber e.g. cooling fins/vanes. Fluid dampers on very high output engines often have vanes or fins on their casing.
For endurance or road racing bigger is generally better. Drag race can get away with smaller dampers mostly as they run quickly through the torsionals.
some special hi perf small block chevy dampers had fins on the back side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Stef wrote:Both viscous and elastomer dampers generate heat when they are working from the shearing action of the silicone fluid/rubber. This is from the internal strains in the shearing medium similar to bending a piece of steel strip backwards and forwards really fast, the bend will begin to get hot....
So a Rattler™ pendulum-style balancer should run cooler, make fractionally more power and last forever, since the inertia forces are shuttled back and forth between the slugs and the main body, rather than being dissipated as heat.. :-k Bonus: the degree marks can't 'creep' as the elastomer fails.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

MadBill wrote:
Stef wrote:Both viscous and elastomer dampers generate heat when they are working from the shearing action of the silicone fluid/rubber. This is from the internal strains in the shearing medium similar to bending a piece of steel strip backwards and forwards really fast, the bend will begin to get hot....
So a Rattler™ pendulum-style balancer should run cooler, make fractionally more power and last forever, since the inertia forces are shuttled back and forth between the slugs and the main body, rather than being dissipated as heat.. :-k Bonus: the degree marks can't 'creep' as the elastomer fails.

Isnt the amount of heat relative to the input of harmonics?

In other words, wouldn't all the damper have the same heat output if the harmonics were the same?

Of course, once something gets to the point heat saturation, how well it gets back to normal is a different consideration.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Stef wrote:Both viscous and elastomer dampers generate heat when they are working from the shearing action of the silicone fluid/rubber. This is from the internal strains in the shearing medium similar to bending a piece of steel strip backwards and forwards really fast, the bend will begin to get hot. If the silicone fluid or rubber gets too hot they degrade and the damper will no longer operate properly. For the rubber damper, its heat capacity is generally dependent on damper size, rubber compound and rubber volume. It can be kept cooler by using ducting or by designing the damper to aid cooling of the rubber e.g. cooling fins/vanes. Fluid dampers on very high output engines often have vanes or fins on their casing.
Interesting so if my damper fails I should try a larger one.

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I wonder if you could check/monitor damper temps on say an ATI or other elastomer type to see if it's about to fail? I would assume heat could increase as it degrades.

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

statsystems wrote:
MadBill wrote:

Isnt the amount of heat relative to the input of harmonics?

In other words, wouldn't all the damper have the same heat output if the harmonics were the same?...
No, an elastomer or fluid damper turns the torsional vibration energy into heat, but a 'pendulum' damper works like its namesake. At the top of its swing, a pendulum has a certain amount of potential energy by reason of its position further from the center of the earth (or the crankshaft) than at the center point of the swing. As it moves down through the first half of its arc, it is changing potential energy into kinetic energy, which maxes out at the center. Then as it rises up through the other half of its arc the form of energy is changing back to potential and so on, back and forth, so no appreciable percentage is dissipated as heat.

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

BOOT wrote:I wonder if you could check/monitor damper temps on say an ATI or other elastomer type to see if it's about to fail? I would assume heat could increase as it degrades.
Actually, as an elastomer or fluid damper started to fail it would become less effective and so would dissipate less energy and run marginally cooler.

peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

But if it's running cooler, then less energy is being dissipated by it, so the engine is making more power?

I better stop going down that line of thought, it never ends well #-o
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

The energy's being absorbed instead by twisting the crank back and forth like bending a paperclip and that's not a good thing.

Ken_Parkman
Expert
Expert

Post by Ken_Parkman »

I think the pendulum style is better for tuning to the exciting order rather than the frequency. This is a good paper:

http://www.bhjdynamics.com/index.php?ma ... 2o1dljafu1
Stef
Expert
Expert

Post by Stef »

MadBill wrote:
They certainly do run cooler. Whether they make more power is dependent on if you can get a Rattler absorber of the right size in the available space. Over here they are called Roll-form absorbers and have been in use since the 1930's attached to flywheels, crank counterweights and pulleys. Mainly on aero and diesel engines.
TTV Racing - Race flywheels, clutches, drive shafts and valve guides - over 5000 applications & custom one off's or production runs - made in England.
Suppliers to GT3, LeMans, WRC, Global X-Cross, WTCC, BTCC, F3 and more!
Visit our Instagram Page!
Paul Rig

Post by Paul Rig »

wonder if these rattlers are similar to what Ive seen used on truck tyres here in Australia.
One of the tyre shops here throws a 2-3 cups of rubber balls in the tyre to balance the tyres.
I asked him about it he said it balances the tyres on the rim and they set in place after a long run. He also said it was popular in mining as well.
We are talking 42t highway truck.