General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dave brode
Expert
Expert

oval port dual plane intakes

Post by dave brode »

All,

I find several sbc intake tests out there, but not much for big. Anyone have links to anything? I'm looking at QJ pattern intakes, #8017 Weiand, Edel performer, and edel performer RPM QJ. Mild street application.
TIA
Dave
pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: oval port dual plane intakes

Post by pdq67 »

Dave,

Imho, Weiands old 8005 large oval port spread-bore BBC intake is still a good intake.

Might hunt one up off ebay?

pdq67
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

Summit has their own #226022 for $179.97 and it is a Q-jet !
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

Hasn't the 8017 been obsoleted and replaced by the 8123?
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Re: OLD oval port dual plane intakes

Post by dave brode »

novadude wrote:Hasn't the 8017 been obsoleted and replaced by the 8123?
Yes, but it's a Chinese casting too. I should have made the subject OLD oval port....

On the subject of obsoleted, did the 8017 come first, then the 8005?
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

The old factory cast iron Q-jet semi-high rise was a nice piece... if you could stand the weight.
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

EDC wrote:The old factory cast iron Q-jet semi-high rise was a nice piece... if you could stand the weight.
Agreed. Fwiw, I hate the little exhaust trough, which requires the s/s plate and matching gasket. I have tapped the holes leading to/from in for pipe plugs. It would be great to see a test between the stocker and the other intakes mentioned.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

A friend of mine had a motor home with a bbc to tow his race car. It turned out to be a peanut port engine, and performance was dismal. He worked over the engine, and having his own dyno he did an intake test. The factory iron high rise intakes were the best by far. On the motor home he didn't care about the weight.
So much to do, so little time...
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

rfoll wrote:A friend of mine had a motor home with a bbc to tow his race car. It turned out to be a peanut port engine, and performance was dismal. He worked over the engine, and having his own dyno he did an intake test. The factory iron high rise intakes were the best by far. On the motor home he didn't care about the weight.
Good information. Did the factory ever do a spreadbore dual-plane oval port manifold in aluminum? I don't recall hearing of such a thing, but I don't know a whole lot about factory BBC parts. It's a wonder edelbrock never redesigned the Performer 2-O. Seems like they've been selling the same old design for 30+ years.
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

rfoll wrote:A friend of mine had a motor home with a bbc to tow his race car. It turned out to be a peanut port engine, and performance was dismal. He worked over the engine, and having his own dyno he did an intake test. The factory iron high rise intakes were the best by far. On the motor home he didn't care about the weight.
Interesting. Is there a chance that you might ask him for details? Which intakes he tested, spacers, etc? Actually, it would be nice to know more about the engine in general.

I remember 35 or more yrs ago, a magazine tested a bunch of dual planes on a mild sbc. Some made less, the best couple were only 7-8 horse better than the stock iron, iirc.

Dave
Last edited by dave brode on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

novadude wrote:
Good information. Did the factory ever do a spreadbore dual-plane oval port manifold in aluminum? I don't recall hearing of such a thing, but I don't know a whole lot about factory BBC parts. It's a wonder edelbrock never redesigned the Performer 2-O. Seems like they've been selling the same old design for 30+ years.
The performer [and 8005/8017] look like the other 40+ year old intakes that used the "4B" i.d. [O4B = big olds, CH4B = RB mopar, P4B = Pontiac etc]. The non air gap rpm looks to have smaller runners than the performer, at least off of the plenum.

Was there a low ['68 up corvette] alum QJ oval intake?
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

For truck and torque applications I always used the early low HP 396 quadrajet intake. Worked well but no back to back tests.
CharlieB53
Pro
Pro

Post by CharlieB53 »

I exchanged a few emails with a Guy at E'brock that is involved with casting the Air Gap manifolds. I am still interested in an Air Gap Q-jet whic has never been made. He told me E'brock felt there isn't enough demand for them to invest in making the manifold. Damn.

I asked 'What If' a guy took the time , taking a roval port BBC air gap and cut cut weld weld grind grind and make it into an Air Gap Q-Jet. He said that guy would be very pleased with the results.

I want one. Who is up for the challenge and can you give a reasonable estimate what it will cost for the trouble?

I am not interested in building a max effort strip motor, but more like something that can be a surprising street motor that will get serious in a heartbeat, yet Gramma can still drive it to the grocery store without hurting it.

I do not want to have to scoop the hood other than what the factory already has on my 70 SS, and there isn't any room for any adapter, modifying an Air Gap into a Q-Jet would solve a lot of issues and shold be a perfect solution, even thougoh it may take a lot of work.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

novadude wrote:
Good information.I don't recall hearing of such a thing, but I don't know a whole lot about factory BBC parts. It's a wonder edelbrock never redesigned the Performer 2-O. Seems like they've been selling the same old design for 30+ years.
Did the factory ever do a spreadbore dual-plane oval port manifold in aluminum?
Yes. 390 HP 427s in C-3 Corvettes had an aluminum QJet intake which appears to be a similar design as the common iron "low rise" used for passenger cars and trucks. You can probably find one on EBay occasionally. However, there is a fly in the ointment. In the early 70s they all started to show up cracked and leaking between the exhaust crossover and the plenum so you either had to block the exhaust passage at the gasket or replace it with an Iron intake. Every one I have encountered on a running engine since 1972 was cracked like this. People show up wanting their carb fixed because the exhaust leak causes the engine to idle like it has a huge cam, if it will idle at all. The C-3 Corvette has such a low hood line it requires the low rise type manifold. You can web search and find them.

Last edited by Tuner on Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

Wasn't there an Edelbrock oval intake manifold with "427X" as the last numbers?
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com