ARP Ultra Torque

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

ARP Ultra Torque

Post by Zmechanic »

I was watching a promo video for ARP ultra-torque and something caught my attention. They mention the ultra-torque lube has a melting point well above normal engine operation and is designed to stay on the bolt essentially as long as it's in place. I started digging and found the same info repeated in various form in a few places.

Anyone else ever heard this? Makes me wonder if you are just removing bearing caps to do a spot check, do you even need to re-apply it?
needforspeed66gt
Guru
Guru

Re: ARP Ultra Torque

Post by needforspeed66gt »

You should always clean the hardware and then reapply the lube in order to make sure you repeat torque...if you're measuring stretch then it's less of a concern.
Nate @steeldustmachine
Engine Machinist
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

I use it very sparingly when assembling and when cutting filters apart its there. It don't dissolve in oil or pass through filters.
When freshing everything gets cleaned so I don't know about the part of never having to reapply it.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

You need to put on a little more, as a little gets wiped off each time you thread the bolt in.

ARP lube is mostly "moly disulfide", which does still function as a lubricant at temps above when most of it would be on fire.
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

Glen I was hoping you'd chime in. Its not something I'd be willing to risk, but I fell down the rabbit hole of bolt preload and when the guy on the promo video started saying it stays on the bolt and prevents galling during removal it got my attention.
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

It does last and often strays put for the life of the motor.. especially true in blind holes.

Nowadays I clean the lube off with dawn dishsoap and stiff bristle toothbrush. Emulsifies the lube and easily washes right off so you can start fresh and clean to better replicate the the bolts torque/preload requirement. Previously used acetone and toothbrush with good results but the dawn detergent is surprisingly good at floating the lube out of the threads and much less hazardous than acetone. The hotter the rinse water the better too.