Rocker Bearing size for 3D drawing

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

383ssmonty
Rocker Bearing size for 3D drawing

Post by 383ssmonty »

When creating a section view of a 3D head assembly I got a reminder that I haven’t drawn the roller bearings for a Comp. Cams old Pro Magnum Roller Rockers pn 1301-16. I was too chicken to try to disassemble a brand new one I have, afraid I’d ruin it.
Does anyone know the diameter and length of the roller bearings in the trunnion assembly, or how I can disassemble one without ruining it. I don’t have a vice or arbor press available to press apart if that’s what’s required. I can get the snap rings off, but will the trunnion just slide out?
Thanks for any and all replies!
ssmonty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
statsystems
Guru
Guru
Re: Rocker Bearing size for 3D drawing

Post by statsystems »

So I don't have to do a long search, what's your end goal?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Just remove both of the snap rings and pull out the trunion over bowl or something to catch the rollers.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
383ssmonty

Post by 383ssmonty »

Thanks for the replies!
As far as long term goals I’m trying to hone my autocad skills for future part time work, be able to demonstrate such skills for reference, illustrate engine issues and details (push rod length, retainer to rocker/ valve seal clearance, spring height set-up, con rod/piston selection, ect) to assist/help novice engine builders on various forums (pic is worth 1000 words), custom brackets /adapters and I just like to draw/build stuff. Currently disabled and have free time.
I’ve got a magnetic tray that I can let the rollers fall into. I just worry that I may damage something that wasn’t meant to be disassembled then re-assembled such as pressing out a previous press fit, or that I couldn’t re-assemble without specific tools. The rockers weren’t exactly cheap, and not sure if they even make the same ones anymore, or if I could buy just one if I messed something up (wouldn’t be the first time).
Thanks again!
ssmonty
PS Was hoping to get a sbc drawn and be able to show rotary motion animation, but haven't figure out how to make a 3D spring compress (yet).
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

383ssmonty wrote:Thanks for the replies!
As far as long term goals I’m trying to hone my autocad skills for future part time work, be able to demonstrate such skills for reference, illustrate engine issues and details (push rod length, retainer to rocker/ valve seal clearance, spring height set-up, con rod/piston selection, ect) to assist/help novice engine builders on various forums (pic is worth 1000 words), custom brackets /adapters and I just like to draw/build stuff. Currently disabled and have free time.
I’ve got a magnetic tray that I can let the rollers fall into. I just worry that I may damage something that wasn’t meant to be disassembled then re-assembled such as pressing out a previous press fit, or that I couldn’t re-assemble without specific tools. The rockers weren’t exactly cheap, and not sure if they even make the same ones anymore, or if I could buy just one if I messed something up (wouldn’t be the first time).
Thanks again!
ssmonty
PS Was hoping to get a sbc drawn and be able to show rotary motion animation, but haven't figure out how to make a 3D spring compress (yet).

Very cool. It sucks to not be able to do what you normally did. You are not letting disability dictate to you. Right on.
A_VAS
Pro
Pro

Post by A_VAS »

I would pull one snap ring off, and then knock from that end on the center of the trunnion with a soft face hammer (or duct tape end of hammer). Or use a wooden dowel or something to hit the center, and support the rocker body on something.
it should knock out fairly easy...very light press fit.

A small vice or a clamp and a couple sockets of the right diameter will make it easy also.

press out just the one end, the bearing will push out. You can measure the OD of the cage and the OD of the machined portion of the trunnion to get an approximate diameter of the rollers.
if you try to take the needle rollers out of the cage...that might get tricky to put back together.

push or tap it back together in the same fashion and re-install snap ring. Should not damage a thing and press fit will remain the same.
too lazy to make power w/o boost
A_VAS
Pro
Pro

Post by A_VAS »

by the way, great looking modeling so far. The section pic shows the importance of having a long enough rocker stud. I like to see the set screw be flush to the top of the polylock...to make sure enough thread is engaged and the stud won't break at the upper portion of the threaded section
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Great work so far, if you are hoping to develop skills that will lead to a good paying job you should change course and start developing skills in a software that is used by companies that are looking for good talent and pay well.
Generally this does not include any of the mid-range software like AutoCAD, Solidworks etc, they are not capable of designing finished castings and foundry tooling to the degree of perfection that the really good companies (that you would want to work at) require.

The high-end CAD systems CATIA, NX, Creo, often have free student versions for you to learn on.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
383ssmonty

Post by 383ssmonty »

Thanks for the replies!
I got the rocker trunnion/bearing race removed using a 5” C-clamp and some sockets. Needle rollers were smaller than expected, but nothing was going to fall out with the maple syrup they packaged them with. Will wait until final assy to clean.
I didn’t think I should press the races into the body with the snap ring acting as a die. Used a 5/8” flat washer that just fit over the trunnion shaft to press race in fully. Wouldn’t pivot so had to press it back out just a bit. Not so much or the snap ring would scrub the race. Got about .010” side play for trunnion. Hope that’s enough and not too much.
The college I went to only offered Solidworks for their advanced CAD class. The place I was previously employed used Solidworks for their mechanical design and CNC program creation. As I ran the CNCs and edited a lot of machine code, I got a little familiar with SW. There was a big poster in the room with the CNCs that had the guys from American Choppers looking all bad and all, and had “Powered by SolidWorks” in big letters. I’m getting a bit too old to try and learn another CAD system, and I don’t even know where I could get training locally, but I appreciate the suggestion.
Yeah, the polys are a bit too high on the studs. Left them that way to get easier access when I “install” pushrods. I did swap out the “bushings” with needle rollers after getting measurements.
Thanks again!
ssmonty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A_VAS
Pro
Pro

Post by A_VAS »

looking good...
solidworks is seemingly used by everyone, at least with areas I work in (mold/die/assembly)

I do product/part design, and have used Pro/Engineer (now Creo) since 1997. I don't come across a whole lot of companies using Creo.
If you modeled those cylinder ports and springs from scratch, I'd say you are getting pretty advanced. At least in Creo that would be very time consuming.