Lifter bushings

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

LCaverly
Lifter bushings

Post by LCaverly »

Recently had al pontiac on dyno and had to reject because of low oil pressure. Found few issues one being most lifter bores being at.003+ and was wondering how much press to use when installing bronze bushings in an al block?
Len C
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Lifter bushings

Post by ProPower engines »

LCaverly wrote:Recently had al pontiac on dyno and had to reject because of low oil pressure. Found few issues one being most lifter bores being at.003+ and was wondering how much press to use when installing bronze bushings in an al block?
Len C
If you are using the std 1" od bushing lube and use .001 press fit.
If using the BHJ tooling the fit is taken into account when using their bushings/tooling etc.

That said why not save the cost of bushing the block and just step up a diameter in lifter size??
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

ProPower engines wrote:
LCaverly wrote:Recently had al pontiac on dyno and had to reject because of low oil pressure. Found few issues one being most lifter bores being at.003+ and was wondering how much press to use when installing bronze bushings in an al block?
Len C
If you are using the std 1" od bushing lube and use .001 press fit.
If using the BHJ tooling the fit is taken into account when using their bushings/tooling etc.

That said why not save the cost of bushing the block and just step up a diameter in lifter size??
X2, in most cases, for just going to the next larger diameter. However, the OEM Pontiac blocks have unsupported lifter bores and whether larger or bushed back stock, they get weaker and if good springs and aggressive lobes, some bores are likely to pop right off the block. The fast guys pour the lifter valley full of epoxy and/or use bolted in support plates.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Jack
can you still get os lifters?
.875 is less than 1"
you'll need new pushrods- but may anyhow
Pontiac lifter oil bands are special IDK if Fords work (or MOPAR/AMC)
anybody use thin sleeves?

HV oil pump?
LCaverly

Post by LCaverly »

This is an aftermarket aluminum block and I don,t think .001 is enough press as the lifter bores will grow almost that much . The owner has already spent big bucks on lifters and it will be cheaper to bush the bores. I do fill all the lifter valleys on my OEM pontiacs with epoxy.
Len C
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

LCaverly wrote:This is an aftermarket aluminum block and I don,t think .001 is enough press as the lifter bores will grow almost that much . The owner has already spent big bucks on lifters and it will be cheaper to bush the bores. I do fill all the lifter valleys on my OEM pontiacs with epoxy.
Len C
Youre right.. thats not nearly enough.. downright horrible advice! I would call the mfgr directly but my bill mitchell ALUMINUM BLOCK calls for about. 004 - .006 thou of bushing interference fit. Ideally you should base it on the normalized heat range the motor typically runs in. Cold alcohol motor would be different interference fit than say a summertime street/bracket racer would run.

Also very helpful to preheat the block after the cold clearances are finalized. Then chill the bushings in the freezer or preferably with dry ice and they'll go in much easier.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

too bad aluminium block was not mentioned in first post

what's the best lube for brass in aluminium
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

LCaverly wrote:Recently had al pontiac on dyno Len C
wyrmrider wrote:too bad aluminium block was not mentioned in first post
Think it was.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

First post mentions putting bushings in an aluminum block. #-o
Race Engines

Post by Race Engines »

Never seen aluminum, abbreviated in this way. I didn't get it either until I read on.
Racerrick
Expert
Expert

Post by Racerrick »

.004 is way too much. It will mushroom badly when you press it in and you will have a really hard time get it to hone straight and true unless you leave the id way undersized .002-.0025 is plenty of crush. I lightly knurl a 1/4" band at the top part where it enters the bore and put loctite on the knurled area. dont loctite lifter bore or anywhere else or it will mushroom when you install it
Speedbump
Guru
Guru

Post by Speedbump »

Is a mushroom close to a banana where lifter bores are concerned?? :lol: :lol:
Speedbump
"If it was easy, everybody would do it."
jsavani

Post by jsavani »

Several years ago we installed bronze bushings in a couple BBF Alum blocks. We used .005 press. We heat the blocks in an oven to install them. Then size the hole with a hone and reamer after installation. I am not aware that there were ever any problems with the installation with either block. We make all our bushings in house
Racerrick
Expert
Expert

Post by Racerrick »

jsavani wrote:Several years ago we installed bronze bushings in a couple BBF Alum blocks. We used .005 press. We heat the blocks in an oven to install them. Then size the hole with a hone and reamer after installation. I am not aware that there were ever any problems with the installation with either block. We make all our bushings in house

key word being reamed then honed. So when 2-3 strokes of the hone takes you from a little tight to a little loose. then what? heat the block again to install a bushing? I buy shelf 660 bronze bushing and machine them to needs so I can leave my bushing a long as possible I even grind clearance for the link bars and let them protrude into the cam tunnel.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Best if you have BHJ or lifter tru tooling and install small id bushings and machine- reem to round then touch up with a hone
just using a hone will never get it right