Noticeable power gain from muffler swap on my DD???

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Re: Noticeable power gain from muffler swap on my DD???

Post by David Vizard »

bigjoe1 wrote:I have seen the world famous flowmasters LOOSE 85 HP on the dyno.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
To further Joe's comment here the only thing that Flow Masters actually master is marketing. I have resisted mentioning their deficient performance but now Joe has opened the door ----------
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

David Vizard wrote:
bigjoe1 wrote:I have seen the world famous flowmasters LOOSE 85 HP on the dyno.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
To further Joe's comment here the only thing that Flow Masters actually master is marketing. I have resisted mentioning their deficient performance but now Joe has opened the door ----------
DV
So why not tell what you know?!!!!!!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Gary, your comment:- so why not tgell what you know?

Gary I have had articles sent back because they were accurate and told the real story. Of course Flow Master don't advertise on ST so maybe --------------------

DV
isn't it long gone your bedtime???
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

David Vizard wrote:Gary, your comment:- so why not tgell what you know?

Gary I have had articles sent back because they were accurate and told the real story. Of course Flow Master don't advertise on ST so maybe --------------------

DV
isn't it long gone your bedtime???
Are you crazy!!!!!!! I don't sleep!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Seanh832
Pro
Pro

Post by Seanh832 »

I can't stand the cruising speed sound of Flowmasters. Kills my ears.. We run 30" long 6" round case Magnaflows on my buddies SWB 81 Stepside and they sound amazing when he hammers it. 496 making around 700hp, 2 1/8" tube headers, 3 inch exhaust with dumps before the axle. You can actually have a quiet conversation in the cab when cruising unlike Flowmasters. I run 4 (2 on each side) 18" long case 3" Dynomax Race Magnums turned out before the rear tires on my 260z behind my 434 to quiet it down. Sounds really good now compared to 2 12" case with tailpipes.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-12641/overview/
Maintenance Machinist for Anheuser-Busch
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

jeff swisher wrote:travis posted this in his first post.
Noticed an immediate increase in throttle response and more effortless cruising at highway speed, where as before it always felt like it was struggling.

And an increase in MPG.

There you have it Travis.. yes it is noticeable as is 10HP on the butt-o-meter if your meter is precision calibrated like many here.

I do not know if this is your first muffler swap where you noticed a great improvement.
I was poor boy but I have welded metal since i was 12 and my first real car to "Hot Rod" was a huge learning experience.
In a weeks time I installed many different size exhaust pipes and mufflers or many kinds that I scored off old wrecks.

Mufflers and pipe sizes make huge differences even in the small HP stuff.

Unfortunately throttle response and mph do not correlate to WOT performance, not saying it didnt happen but.....
crazyman
Expert
Expert

Post by crazyman »

The only good experience I've had with flowmaster is on a bone stock '95 grand cherokee 318. Picked up 2 MPG on the display. I never noticed a performance increase though.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

When I firs bought my 79 Impala, It had one of those 2 into 1 head pipe systems where the passenger side pipe with a valve in it dropped straight into the other pipe at 90 degrees forming a T. Power and acceleration was none. I had a local shop build me a real 2 into 1 head pipe using a Flowmaster Y pipe and a stock type 2 1/2" muffler. The buttometer said 25 hp leaving the shop. When the engine in the car started leaking oil, I pulled it and installed a mild 400 with Vortec heads. I used a set of headers from my race car and had a dual 2 1/2" system using the Flowmasters from the test stand. The offset of the mufflers was wrong, so they got dumped at the axle. The noise level under normal driving wasn't that bad, but at WOT,it was ferocious. I later installed a nearly stock 98 Vortec engine and kept the exhaust. At cruise, it isn't really any noisier than the single 2 1/2" system. The idle sounds kind of nasty, and makes people think I have something huge under the hood, but I am looking for something quieter. I have a pair of NIB Thrush Sonic Turbo muffler I inherited from my brothers pile of junk and I would like to use them if they any good. I have no intention of ever selling this car, It is my daily driver, and I don't want something that will rot out and get loud after 10,000 miles. I don't mind spending the money on a better product than what I currently heave on hand. I am very open to any suggestions.
So much to do, so little time...
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

I have a pair of NIB Thrush Sonic Turbo muffler I inherited from my brothers pile of junk and I would like to use them if they any good. I have no intention of ever selling this car, It is my daily driver, and I don't want something that will rot out and get loud after 10,000 miles.
Every Thrush product I ever saw as cheap junk. I wouldn't put them on mine even if free.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

I replaced the exhaust on my DD Blazer with a Dynomax Super Turbo single in/out 2.5" mandrel bent catback, removed the cat, and installed a K&N FIPK cold air kit. A with nothing else and 240k original miles, it ran 15.88 the first time I took it down the track. Looking online, stockish times were usually 16.5s or so and other owners weren't getting anywhere near that kind of time in 4 door Blazers. Usually just in standard cab S10's it seemed like. That was 5+ years ago, so I don't remember how it felt to the butt dyno. I always told myself I'd send the ecm to get a tune and go back with it but I never did. I know the stock tailpipe and muffler were pretty damn heavy compared to the Dynomax stuff. I was glad to get that extra weight off.

I put a new engine in it a couple of years ago, also. I've been curious to see how this one compares to the well-worn stocker since I actually have a decent baseline for comparison. Even though it's not fast by any means, I still want to know lol.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

PackardV8 wrote:
I have a pair of NIB Thrush Sonic Turbo muffler I inherited from my brothers pile of junk and I would like to use them if they any good. I have no intention of ever selling this car, It is my daily driver, and I don't want something that will rot out and get loud after 10,000 miles.
Every Thrush product I ever saw as cheap junk. I wouldn't put them on mine even if free.
That is what I expected to hear, Thanks.
So much to do, so little time...
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Been running a couple weeks with the new spin-tech muffler on the suburban, and no doubt about it this muffler is better all the way around. I'm getting a very repeatable .75 mpg gain in fuel economy with no other changes, which is right about 6% gain. And this is only on my daily commute...typically under 2100 rpms with the occasional short burst to 2500-ish when accelerating from a stop. I have yet to make a highway speed trip yet, but expect to see bigger gains there too.

Kind of surprises me that even with the low output, and low speeds, to see such a gain. And it sounds better too.
quickd100
Pro
Pro

Post by quickd100 »

When I had my 605 on the dyno the last 2 pulls were made with open headers and collectors just pointing out the door. The last pull was with my full exhaust hooked up. 3-1/2" duals, X-pipe and 3-1/2" Ultra-Flows. The pipes cost me 117hp and 97ftlbs.Dave
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/quickd100/9ff3c690.jpg[/img]