Re: 460 Ford build

Post by DanE2 »

As to the cam; wrong way for sure.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

You guys are both right. I'm getting a bit frustrated. I had a plan going in to this build then changes started happening. First the rotating kit (planned to just stay at 466 CID) then the AFR heads which screwed up my compression ratio and have the different valve angles. I need to take a few days to sort this out and get back in control of this build. What i need is dished pistons (about 15cc) to get my CR down to about 10.3 and with enough P-V clearance so i can get whatever cam i want.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

good idea
the heads change the whole game
measure twice- cut once
then go around again
take what staub said to the bank
are these heads ported, do you have the flows to work with
I am not going back and reread the thread but have you done a pipemax analysis
understanding your exhaust is a prerequisit
I've used KB pistons in ski boats running regular gas can't recall AFR heads though (and wet exhaust changes everything)
DanE2

Post by DanE2 »

This is what AFR posts for the 380 head flow:

.2--169/130--77%
.3--244/174--71%
.4--309/214--69%
.5--354/238--67%
.6--385/254--66%
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

I'm having a bad day. Called Scat my rotating kit is in the mail. Heads are on there way. CR will be 11.27 according to my math.

4.390 bore
4.15 stroke
4.5 gasket hole
.042 gasket thickness
-3 cc valve notches in the wrong place for these heads
usually go with .005 deck height.

Ordered another cam based on advice from Walter Malik from Jegs yesterday because my other cam was back ordered a month.
http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2317&gid=284

Jegs phoned an hour later to let me know my credit card was maxed. SWEET!!!

Back to no cam, to high of CR and likely P-V clearance issues. And no money!!
At least this forum is FREE!!

Called my customers (got 2 engines on the go) money incoming. Don't know what to do about a cam or the CR.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

cam is the least of your worries, it goes in last
why such a big head gasket?
DanE2

Post by DanE2 »

Prairiehotrodder;

When you ordered the Scat rotating assembly, did you order the valve pocket location for OEM, SCJ/P51, or AFR valve pocket location? With either of the later two locations, you will probably be OK with the cam you and Randy came up with. By the way, Randy Malik is an extremely knowledgeable person and probably knows the "385" series engine as well as anybody.

As to head gasket, on my 4.39" bore, I ordered a 4.40" X .030" Cometic head gasket to keep everything tight, with my pistons .004" in the hole. When you deck the block, use the RA number that Cometic recommends. I believe that when you keep everything tight, that 11.3 CR will work. You are a Chevy man and these BB Fords have have their own requirements. Randy will not lead you astray.

Cheer Up, you are going to end up with an ass kicking street/strip engine. 8)
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Thanks guys, The head gaskets are what AFR recomended. I'm not afraid to notch the pistons, i just did that job on the LS motor i put together. I used the Lindy Tool and it worked pretty slick. My pistons are notched for stock heads. I believe they are Mahle pistons. From what i've read over on 460ford.com , i should just need to do the intake valve. I guess i'll find out.
brian
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

This 460 stroker (502) build will be coming together soon. First block turned out needed more than a .030 over bore due to an over zealous ring ridge reamer who took it apart before i purchased it. I allready had .030 pistons with my kit. Bought another block which is ok and now we are moving forward again. The machinist told me 460 blocks have bad cam tunnels commonly so now i'm waiting on some special cam bearings so we can machine the tunnel. I have everything sitting here to put it together except if i end up having to buy a piston notching tool in the event of piston to valve interference which may well happen due to the AFR heads changed valve position.
Brian
DanE2

Post by DanE2 »

prairiehotrodder wrote:This 460 stroker (502) build will be coming together soon. First block turned out needed more than a .030 over bore due to an over zealous ring ridge reamer who took it apart before i purchased it. I allready had .030 pistons with my kit. Bought another block which is ok and now we are moving forward again. The machinist told me 460 blocks have bad cam tunnels commonly so now i'm waiting on some special cam bearings so we can machine the tunnel. I have everything sitting here to put it together except if i end up having to buy a piston notching tool in the event of piston to valve interference which may well happen due to the AFR heads changed valve position.
Brian

WHAT! In all the years that I have been around these engines (1970) , and the thousands of posts that I have read and the hundreds of discussions I have been involved in, and the number of these engines I have built and driven, I have never been aware that "460 blocks have bad cam tunnels commonly".
I call BS on this.
I will take a WAG and guess your machinist has some machines that he would like to get paid to use, or he is of the anti-Ford brigade and is speaking of that which he does not know. #-o

At any rate, I am glad that the project is getting close, and am anxious to see how it turns out.
jred
Expert
Expert

Post by jred »

I have to say that the last 2 big fords that I did had cam bore problems,,, 1 was so bad that as you drive in the cam bearings it keep getting tighter and tighter,, pulled the cam bearing out and gaged the housing bore and they all had about .003 taper from front to rear.. I was able to line hone the block for .010 over of bearings that duro bond makes both coated and non coated.. after installing the new bearings the cam turned very nice.. just 1 more thing to have to check for as your doing the machine work..
Racerrick
Expert
Expert

Post by Racerrick »

DanE2 wrote:
prairiehotrodder wrote:This 460 stroker (502) build will be coming together soon. First block turned out needed more than a .030 over bore due to an over zealous ring ridge reamer who took it apart before i purchased it. I allready had .030 pistons with my kit. Bought another block which is ok and now we are moving forward again. The machinist told me 460 blocks have bad cam tunnels commonly so now i'm waiting on some special cam bearings so we can machine the tunnel. I have everything sitting here to put it together except if i end up having to buy a piston notching tool in the event of piston to valve interference which may well happen due to the AFR heads changed valve position.
Brian

WHAT! In all the years that I have been around these engines (1970) , and the thousands of posts that I have read and the hundreds of discussions I have been involved in, and the number of these engines I have built and driven, I have never been aware that "460 blocks have bad cam tunnels commonly".
I call BS on this.
I will take a WAG and guess your machinist has some machines that he would like to get paid to use, or he is of the anti-Ford brigade and is speaking of that which he does not know. #-o

At any rate, I am glad that the project is getting close, and am anxious to see how it turns out.
Hmm every single 460 block must be checked cause in my experience as a machinist who specializes in Fords 1 of every 4 needs to be line hone oversize. They are the worst engine of the big 3 for randomly sized cam tunnels.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Started building this engine finally. With the mahle flat top pistons (not cut for the AFR valve pockets) and the AFR heads and this cam http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2317&gid=284

and a comp 3 way adjustable timing set, and no head gasket, the intake valve has about .002 PTV clearance. When the chain is set up on the zero setting. With it on the 4* retarded setting it has about 1/8". These numbers will increase with a head gasket.
Brian
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

BTW - this is just for your info. Thats not how i'm putting it together. I'll buy this piston notcher and do it right.