engine bearing wear

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Cuong-nutz
Re: engine bearing wear

Post by Cuong-nutz »

Any suggestions on how to clean out the oil passages in the crankshaft?
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

As I said in my earlier post. That crankshaft if reused needs to be redone by a quality crankshaft capable repair shop and cleaning all the passages after being reworked it should be returned to you clean and ready for assembly. If not, you need to find another shop to do the crankshaft work! Quit using and supporting people or shops in the industry who do junk work and use junk practices!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Cuong-nutz

Post by Cuong-nutz »

Newold1 wrote:As I said in my earlier post. That crankshaft if reused needs to be redone by a quality crankshaft capable repair shop and cleaning all the passages after being reworked it should be returned to you clean and ready for assembly. If not, you need to find another shop to do the crankshaft work! Quit using and supporting people or shops in the industry who do junk work and use junk practices!
So do you know how to clean or flush out the oil passages? How do you know if what your getting is clean all the time? You just assume assume? I'm just trying to learn here. It looks like you've been burned before and are still feeling it.

Regardless, having a shop do stuff that I have no tools for is understandable but I would like to know stuff if I can do it myself and check things over for added assurance.

Would you happen to know at what clearance would you see x need of oil pressure drop, if you are still within manufacturer spec clearances?
createaaron

Post by createaaron »

You basically answered your own question.. I mean what else would you expect from a sub-par partially rusted crank.. probably had an RA value of 50+
Horsepower is a beautiful thing
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

You basically got in trouble here because you did not know how to properly deal with a crankshaft that was badly rusted, pitted and in bad shape on the journals. Most likely this crankshaft needed journal work that you are not equipped or prepared to do. Therefore it should have gone to a good shop where proper crankshaft repairs could be done. When that shop finished the repair and polishing they would properly clean the crankshaft including all passages, lubricate and bag the crankshaft and it would be ready for use. It sounds like you are still trying to service your own crankshaft. Don't do that you are not going to do a simple hand polish repair and end up with a good usable crankshaft. You had a mistake orginaly and you can see the result. Don't repeat the original mistake!
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Cuong-nutz wrote:
So do you know how to clean or flush out the oil passages? How do you know if what your getting is clean all the time? You just assume assume? I'm just trying to learn here. It looks like you've been burned before and are still feeling it.

Regardless, having a shop do stuff that I have no tools for is understandable but I would like to know stuff if I can do it myself and check things over for added assurance.

Would you happen to know at what clearance would you see x need of oil pressure drop, if you are still within manufacturer spec clearances?
how to clean passages:
Gun cleaning brush, solvent, brake-cleaner, compressed air.

What was the clearance? do you have a way to measure it?
the engine block needs to be cleaned also. Do they have coil operated car wash in your country?
superpursuit
Pro
Pro

Post by superpursuit »

Newold1 wrote:As I said in my earlier post. That crankshaft if reused needs to be redone by a quality crankshaft capable repair shop and cleaning all the passages after being reworked it should be returned to you clean and ready for assembly. If not, you need to find another shop to do the crankshaft work! Quit using and supporting people or shops in the industry who do junk work and use junk practices!
I totally disagree with this. Final clean is always the responsibility of the person assembling the engine. Never assume anything is clean & ready for assembly. A crank returned from a machine shop ALWAYS needs to be cleaned even if for no other reason but to remove the rust protection coating applied by the machine shop. If someone assembles an engine without cleaning everything they cannot blame the machine shop if something is not totally clean. If a person does not have the necessary skills to assemble an engine properly then they should NOT do it.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

I agree, making sure the parts are clean is ultimately the job of the assembler, OR at least you could say "the responsibility".......
but why would you NOT clean it?
It's cheap insurance. I do. I clean the passages and dust it with light oil.
I've saw a burned up crank... and there is a chunk of carbon stick in the oil passage. How stupid is that? :lol:
Pass brush through it, you KNOW the hole at least goes through. That's how I was taught, and I don't see any reason it's wrong.

half the shops do and half don't. Which will survive? Currently, it appears my shop will. The other one across town just closed down. Not enough customers they say.
KOLI11

Post by KOLI11 »

I agree. If you think it is clean? Well clean it again. Thats the way I work lol.
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Going back to post no 1.........it was rusty before assembly.
It should have never been assembled without proper measuring which would have shown it as being unusable.
Rust like that can't be just polished off, it should have been reground to the next undersize, if there is a next undersize.

The resulting damage was inevitable.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

My bad for talking about how my crankshaft company processes my crankshafts and returns them to me. I re-clean the oil passages on my cranks just before installation with Berrymans spray and that nice long red plastic tube in the can nozzle. Does a great job of releasing anything in the passages. Using the brushes is nice if the brushes are also carefully cleaned and used on passages where they will go thru. the problem comes in on a lot of crankshafts where they are not cross drilled or have fairly straight thru passages. A lot of crankshafts have passages that are intersect drilled for passages and the brushes will not go all the way thru to properly discharge any debris or dirt, so you're poking in the dirt and debris half way one direction and then the same from the other direction. Result the dirt and debris can be left in the middle waiting for the engine oil pressure to send it nicely to those pretty new bearings! Reason I mentioned a good crankshaft repair shop is that mine uses some unbelievable cleaning methods including sonic cleaning, so I have never seen any cleanup issues after the fact if I keep the crank properly stored and sealed in its bag. I pay more for my crankshaft work than most, but I receive a better product. With shops all over the board when it comes to work and cleaning methods you guys are RIGHT, clean your crankshaft carefully before assembly!