Re: carb size recommendations for dual quad 363 stroker

Post by Little Mouse »

Very nice.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

All the old 427 fords, max wedge chyrsler were ment to be kept high rpm all the time either at the 7600 rpm of nascar in that time period or at drag strips. So throttle response zero need for that.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

I would just about bet winning money you take the latest rpm edelbrock high rise 2× 4 manifold check the runners what it ends up flowing around 245 avearage flow. Well most new heads people want are in the 260 to well over 300 range on flow. What good will putting oversized carbs do on that problem. Lol. So you take bill jenkins massive cam in his 74 vega , add to it his twin dominators an tunnel ram. Bit then you put all this on stock heads of the time period that can only flow 190 cfm, all you end up with with is a mess.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

I would just about bet winning money you take the latest rpm edelbrock high rise 2× 4 manifold check the runners what it ends up flowing around 245 avearage flow. Well most new heads people want are in the 260 to well over 300 range on flow. What good will putting oversized carbs do on that problem.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Did I mention that I think Offy still makes/or has made a 360 degree 2x4, low-rise type intake that was completely open in the plenum. It's NOT a dual-plane intake! Summit might sell it?

Might want to check it out?

I think Offy made some good intakes AND also some not so good so please check if interested?

pdq67
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Don't expect big power from that OFfY open plenum very short runner low rise dual quad. The runners are "anti tune" too short to be resonant and have a crook to meet the low rise plenum. More for show or where low engine torque output is ok.. (T-Bucket Car) The high-er rise version is bigger and taller. Has potential as a 2x4 blow thru supercharged intake.
Runners are also short non resonant anti-tune design.
A partial divider rib inside these often helps....
Much like the Mopar big block wedge ModMan intakes.
Again not bad for supercharged applications where short non tuned runners are not a big issue.

SpeedMaster79 (ProComp) offers a similar low rise open plenum dual quad intake manifold.

The Edelbrock RPM AirGap hi rise Dual Plane Dual Quad intake manifold will vastly outperform these. In every way.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Ya the runners on that are rediculous short. I think the low profile offy cross ram a copy of chevys cross ram would do good, runners are 7 inch long in it, big amount of plenium area. Still can compare it to a tunnel ram but more potential then any of the duel planes. I have one bought new in nineties to build a street rod that never happened. Im considering buying an edelbrock rpm 2 x 4 taking it down find out how much overall it can flow, then im going to cut it up big time lengthen the runners a bit, then increase there cross section, then mod it to put two 1850 holleys in line. Manifold would be about two inches taller then another 1 inch higher with carb spacers more plenium voluum. Offy makes spacers that move the carb 1/ 2 inch. That would space the carbs out 1 inch might be enough to put the short 1850s end to end. Then ill do a small dia. Low profile dist. Add some holes in the distributor cap to vent the small critter. Lol. A thought may do it expensive to do all that, when you could just do better tunnel ram.
Last edited by Little Mouse on Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Do not waste any time or any money or effort on 1850 holleys.. Run the eddy carbs. 2x750 if you want max power, 2x 650 AVS2 will get you there too.
These 2x4 RPM DUAL QUAD manifolds FLOW Plenty air as is.
You do not need to cut it all up.
Jack it up and put a friggin motor under it.
My late departed buddy Big Joe Sherman (Joe Sherman Racing) made 560 hp and a ton of torq on a very simple street 406, dinky girlie hyd roller and all. Little was done to that manifold and carbs. He made more hp than he did with a good single plane. You can too.
This 2x4 induction system is 575++ honest hp capable with more serious parts. No cutting .no welding. No holleys.

This manifold flows plenty Air right out of the box and
YOU CANNOT BUILD A GOOD (carbed) INTAKE MANIFOLD WITH A FLOW BENCH. Forget the flow bench on this one...
Jack it up and stuff a serious 383 or 406 sbc with decent heads and use the BIGGER Edelbrock carbs. It will go fast. Play with the spacers under the big EDELBROCK carbs.
The #1850 holley carbs are a huge mistake.
The out of the box EDELBROCK 650 AVS2 carb is a way BETTER CARB in every way. Eddy #1905
Bolt 2on. Jets and rods tuning and go.
Last edited by F-BIRD'88 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Naw will be either 331 or 337 like the small engines, some of that is for the look i want, but when i get done it will flow far more ill make it di another 30 cfm. I never run anything less then 265 .050 in any of the sbc or bbcs i have built for myself on the street. Love the high rpm scream of sbc its the poor mans ferrari. Also holley person and consider the old afb and edelbrock one of the worst carbs ever built.
Last edited by Little Mouse on Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Then bolt it on a 331 with the 650 eddy carbs AS is.
With spacers. It is ready to go out of the box.
All you are going tobdo is fubar it.
Edelbrock spent a long time in development and dyno testing to get it right. It will rev up plenty high with a serious 331 under it. Your fantasy with 1850 carbs is a DUD on this one. Use the 650 AVS2 carbs. + 2" to 3" open spacers as required. It will need rejetting the more spacer you give it.
Last edited by F-BIRD'88 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If you really want something yoy can cut up and play with
Buy a cheap (but good) racing single plane intake eg: PP Hurricane or PRO Comp Eliminator single plane .. Make the 2x4 to single 4bbl CARB ADAPTER to bolt youR 2x 1850 carbs. On and go.
You can port and hog out that intake and 2x4 adapter to hearts content. It will GLH and rev way up too.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Edelbrock had to contend with will at least fit under some hoods to sell it as a design perimiter. I dont have to do that. They also had to have it work well on say low rpm 350 be multi function. Thing like this dont allow a manufacture to build to highest potential.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

You cant make a manifold that is optimised for a 350 then stick it on a 434 and its optimised for it, the manufacture has to make compromises one way or the other to make it work. The manufacture has to make it work for the average joe that builds a 350 wants no more then 6500. Then a guy builds a common 406 wants to do 7500. Same manifold wont work for both cant be done by anybody.
Last edited by Little Mouse on Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

You are way out in left field on this stuff.
That 2x4 intake is 7500 ++ rpm capable on a serious 331 sbc. You have no clue. You don't kniw how to buildca serious enough 331 to tax that 2x4 intake + 2x650’'s and a few spacers. With no porting at all. Out of the box.