Air flow with a tunnel ram

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

statsystems
Guru
Guru
Re: Air flow with a tunnel ram

Post by statsystems »

Speedbump wrote:So I'm willing to be enlightened as I'm new to the alcohol injected drag race scene. I've done idle leak down tests to spec and barrel valve adjustments to spec and it idles and runs pretty good.(still doing license passes) but the first start of the day always wants a prime. Usually OK after that. Seems lots of other folks use primers too so what say you? Can start a new thread if needed, as I want to know.

They don't have accelerator pumps so you have to prime them for cold start. Reread my post, I was talking about hot start.

Just because someone says leak the BV to this amount doesn't mean anything. It's just a starting point. I ran 2 FT's for years. I could run the blades at .0025-.003 and leak the BV at 15% which was much diffent than Rons called out. You have to test to figure it out.

Also, you need to check your idle check pressure. I've run it as high as 20 pounds but 12-15 was always better than 2-3 some guys run. Depending on pump, you need at least a high speed bypass. I needed to run a high speed and a pump loop, which is just a fancy name for another bypass. Once the engine goes past peak torque, you have to get rid of fuel at a pretty good rate. Most of the time you can't do it with a main only. In fact, almost never.

Nozzle size, check pressures, pump volume...all that shit is a moving target. Most of the "flowed" nozzles I used were junk. So are the pills. Junk shit. The Rons stuff at the time was the most junk of all. I could go to a bigger pill and the engine went fatter. Junk. Kinsler was the best but you pay for it.

If I was doing it all over again, I run injected gas. After 20 years of doing it, alcohol wasn't worth the extra bullshit. And I'd have my system flowed with all Kinsler stuff. I'd love to tell you I'd try and run 80-100 pounds of pressure, but I could never get control of everything with pressures that high.
Sajomatic

Post by Sajomatic »

What about this abortion? #-o
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

An Edelbrock Victor Ram would blow it in the weeds

JOE SHERMAN RACING
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Sajomatic wrote:Image

Surprised none of the offshore producers have lagged on jumping on this bandwagon.

Dual quad ,manifolds , blower manifolds, univrrsal, carb / efi configurable manifolds.
Showy tunnelrams. . Intakes that allow adapting popular blowers to odd ball engines etc..

I'd like to see a multi piece sbc intake that allows swapping runners (length, shape, volume
on a common base, + common plenum w removable top/ carb plate..

A "builder's" component kit..
psychomotors
Pro
Pro

Post by psychomotors »

This is the one I asked about awhile back. Ebay special and weird.
Everyone appreciates your honesty , until you're honest with them , then you're an @$$hole.
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

I would expect these results, what puzzles me is why there isn't more attention given to the plenum on a tunnel ram. Sure a squarish shape is easier to manufacture but I'm sure it's not optimal.
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Thats why the removable top version is best.. Allows you the end user to play with the internal plenum volume and shape.

Can make a big difference in how the car drives. idle quality part throttle fuel dist control.
Volume tweek. Alliws different carb tops.. Tri power , 2x qjets.....
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote:Thats why the removable top version is best.. Allows you the end user to play with the internal plenum volume and shape.

Can make a big difference in how the car drives. idle quality part throttle fuel dist control.
Volume tweek. Alliws different carb tops.. Tri power , 2x qjets.....

I was thinking bigger picture. Like the entrance tot he runner, exit from the carb pad, shape in the corners, the twilight zone directly beneath the center of each carb, etc.
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

But the welds are pretty.......................................
GURU is only a name.
Adam
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

"bigger picture" Well the removable top plate version allows you to get in there and play any way you want.

And the bolts and welds are pretty... Bolt on swappable runners onto the base and plenum would be even prettier
and more interest-bling. All still with pretty welding too..
Plenty eye candy.

Has anybody done any dyno testing of these yet.

Holley/Weiand.

Again if I was a off shore perf intake maker I'd be jumping on this market segment..
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

What bugs me is the fact they have the hole there for the runner then welded it shut and moved it way beyond the where you want it........................................Speed secret??????? LOL

Or couldn't get the TIG torch in there...
GURU is only a name.
Adam
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

psychomotors wrote:

This is the one I asked about awhile back. Ebay special and weird.
most likely did not work out and someone is trying to recoup some of the money spent making it :D
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Cannot tell from the pictures if the angled center runners are done on both banks or just the
drivers side, and why.....

Functional benefit or visual bling stimulation.
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

This intake is the new Holley Sniper tunnel ram series...
To me they are going for that "Fab" looking intake instead of function..

Andy
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

If this is one of Holleys new sniper series "fab" tunnel ram it is being built in my opinion for keeping that now popular "FAB" look and to keep the cost down as a secondary benefit. From an air/fuel mixture flow it is truly an abortion. No radiused bell entrances on the runners themselves will hurt the delivery of the air/fuel mixtures into the runners and the plenum does not seem to be sized in volume for a racing use on a lot of engines that need the increased cfm of a tunnel ram/dual carb setup.

As for having custom fabricated tunnel rams that have really much better design and performance possibilities as well as added features like removable tops, changeable runners, etc. Its very doable and available now. It just costs a hell of a lot more! Just visit Marcella, Hogan,and Wilson manifolds and see some of their awesome creations and builds."YOU GOT THE DIME, THEY GOT THE TIME!" :lol:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink: