2.2 Dodge Turbo Engine ??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru
Re: 2.2 Dodge Turbo Engine ??

Post by DaveMcLain »

They don't seem to be very common for performance use but they were a good durable engine that ran well. We used to work on a lot of the old Turbo 1 style, I worked on a few of the Turbo 2 and one or two of the dual cam turbo 2.2 which must not have been very common.

I did see a guy get into the 13's in a gutted out Omni and a stock 2.2 turbo which I though was very good.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Those things were cool, I was driving one in '85, twas a blast. Almost ran it off a cliff going into a corner too fast but instead of braking(too late) I throttled it, turbo kicked in and pulled me through the corner. Now if I had tried that in my BBC camino instead of that front wheel drive it woulda been hell to pay :mrgreen: =D>
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Curtis Mc

Post by Curtis Mc »

I did for about 6mos with a 90 Caravan. Always was a dream/wish car, but the wife hated it. I still want to get another TD, but it won't (can't) be a Caravan.

I lost a street race to one back in the early 90's (87 GLHS Charger), and I only nosed out a GLH-T Omni; it's piqued my interest ever since.
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

I remember working for a dodge dealer back in the 80's and I remember the Shelby version of the turbo Omni or it may have been a GLH? It was the baddest 4 cylinder I had ever been in at that time. (until the twin turbo dodge stealth in 92). Anyhow one of them had a horrible torque steer and the other had a 2 piece passenger side CV shaft that fixed the torque steer.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

gvx wrote:I remember working for a dodge dealer back in the 80's and I remember the Shelby version of the turbo Omni or it may have been a GLH? It was the baddest 4 cylinder I had ever been in at that time. (until the twin turbo dodge stealth in 92). Anyhow one of them had a horrible torque steer and the other had a 2 piece passenger side CV shaft that fixed the torque steer.
As far as I know all of the 2.2 Turbo cars had the two piece right hand axle setup. I think they used the same CV axle on both sides then too.
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

DaveMcLain wrote:As far as I know all of the 2.2 Turbo cars had the two piece right hand axle setup. I think they used the same CV axle on both sides then too.

I defiantly remember torque steer complaints the first couple year and the 2 piece was what was changed to correct it. It may have been 82-83 year models before they fixed it. been a long time not sure exactly about the year so dont beat me up if I am off a year or so. I do remember I started at Cogdill Dodge Knoxville Tn in 1981 tho
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

I didn't think that they had the 2.2 turbo before 1984 but maybe they did. I just can't think of any.
Larry Salisbury

Post by Larry Salisbury »

I have a 1989 Lebaron GTC Turbo II (coupe) with the A555 5 speed that I still drive. A one year only engine derived from the Shelby program. The Turbo II's came from the factory with a stronger block, forged crank, forged rods, and forged Mahle pistons. Chrysler used equal length axles on these cars to help eliminate torque steer, but not by much. When you get on it in first gear and hit over 12lbs of boost you have to be on your game to overcome the massive torque steer still present. Big eleven inch vented 4 wheel disc brakes helped to keep you out of trouble with these 2900lb cars. They ARE a blast to drive. I Used to have lots fun with the 5.0 Fox Body Mustangs. I'd pull past them in 3rd gear. The 2.2 Turbo II used a Garrett T04 paired with an intercooler. 1990 TURBO IV SOHC 2.2 Turbo's ran the VNT turbo (variable nozzle) turbo). Only a few of those were built, and super rare. Chrysler chose to keep the turbo whine which I prefer. Ford paid extra to eliminate the whine on their turbo platforms back then.

Larry
Larry Salisbury

Post by Larry Salisbury »

Correction: The Chrysler 2.2 Turbo II's utilized the Garrett T03 turbo. The smallerTE04H Mitsubishi turbo was used on the non intercooled 2.5 turbo I .

Larry
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

gvx wrote:
DaveMcLain wrote:As far as I know all of the 2.2 Turbo cars had the two piece right hand axle setup. I think they used the same CV axle on both sides then too.

I defiantly remember torque steer complaints the first couple year and the 2 piece was what was changed to correct it. It may have been 82-83 year models before they fixed it. been a long time not sure exactly about the year so dont beat me up if I am off a year or so. I do remember I started at Cogdill Dodge Knoxville Tn in 1981 tho
You are right about 84 being the first year for the 2.2 Turbo's but as far as the torque steer, I got this off hemmings
hemmings online magazine wrote:Dodge designers went hog-wild on the 1985 GLH--they added black side skirts and a black front air dam. Apparently, they needed places to house the driving lamps and the GLH or GLH Turbo decals. They also vented the hood, as they did with all turbocharged cars at the time. The interior remained about as pedestrian as could be; the most exotic gauge in the dashboard was the tachometer. Dodge's engineers, recognizing the potential for torque steer, upgraded to equal-length halfshafts on the GLH
All together this was an impressive performance car for a 1984 4 cylinder
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

The Chrysler turbo cars of that era were really great and they were a nicely engineered package. They ran well, they were durable, inexpensive and easy to service what's not to love?
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

DaveMcLain wrote:The Chrysler turbo cars of that era were really great and they were a nicely engineered package. They ran well, they were durable, inexpensive and easy to service what's not to love?
"easy to service"? I hated a lot of the labor operations on the 2.2 omni especially warranty labor times it was fitted so tight between the frame rails some of the jobs were a royal pain in the neck :? but yes on all other points. :-)
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

gvx wrote:
DaveMcLain wrote:The Chrysler turbo cars of that era were really great and they were a nicely engineered package. They ran well, they were durable, inexpensive and easy to service what's not to love?
"easy to service"? I hated a lot of the labor operations on the 2.2 omni especially warranty labor times it was fitted so tight between the frame rails some of the jobs were a royal pain in the neck :? but yes on all other points. :-)
What are you talking about? Having to unbolt the right side motor mount and jack up the engine to change the timing belt? You can remove the cylinder head in an hour weather its a turbo or not are you sure you're talking about the same engine?
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

DaveMcLain wrote:
gvx wrote:
What are you talking about? Having to unbolt the right side motor mount and jack up the engine to change the timing belt? You can remove the cylinder head in an hour weather its a turbo or not are you sure you're talking about the same engine?
I havnt seen an Omni in my shop in 15-20 years. I just remembered I would much rather work on a K car when on flat rate especially on warrant pay time which was usually 50-60% of Motor or Mitchel time.
2.2=8
Pro
Pro

Post by 2.2=8 »

Not in a million years did I think I would see a thread on here about the old 2.2 turbo Mopar. :) I have owned seven variants of this platform over the years, and currently have a LaserXE that I drag race; It runs mid nines@ 146mph, with the 2.2L 8Valve head, and auto trans.
I'm an old fart that grew up with muscle cars and I still love them, But there is nothing more satisfying than handing a competitor his ass with a Chrysler K car :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.