Mopar Enthusiast 408 A series Build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

wyrmrider
Guru
Guru
Re: Mopar Enthusiast 408 A series Build

Post by wyrmrider »

we're getting off topic goeff2 but would late hemi fit? early hemi would and would either of those be nice?
aluminum modern poly would be nice maybe some day soon they could be 3D printed or CNC from Billet
we do have the lifter bores in the right place for either (and in the wrong place for LA and Magnum)
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

Last weekend I ran a 408 Chrysler small block that was built by a customer. It is for a bracket racing application in a '71 Dart. Ported Edelbrock heads, Edelbrock Super Victor( I think), Erson solid roller cam, 1 7/8 headers, 950XP carburetor. It made 620 horsepower and 560's for torque on racing gasoline which I felt was very impressive for a rather modest build. We also ran it with an E85 carburetor package from Quick Fuel. It ran well and made about the same torque numbers but about 10 less horsepower. Timing requirement was 30 degrees total.

I think the heads came from Hughes Performance and they or someone told the builder that they would make about 620 horsepower on a 12:1 compression 408 with a reasonably good tune up. I think they were right.
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

You aren't limited to 408 cubes. Hughes Engines has a 426 kit. Molnar sells a 4.125 crank and I think there are 4.25 cranks floating around for the SB Mopar.

I built a 427 SB Mopar a few years back using a crank from K1: http://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-101 ... ine-build/
Andy F.
AR Engineering