Restrictor Plate Question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

340king
Expert
Expert

Restrictor Plate Question

Post by 340king »

I was discussing the impacts of running a restrictor place under the carb of a dirt late model with some racers tonight. In that discussion they claimed that a restrictor plate increased the vacuum of the engine, which I agreed with, under the plate. They said no, it increased the vacuum at the carburetor, which doesn't seem possible to me. I have heard this said a couple of times and am wondering what I am missing.

Does a restrictor plate increase the vacuum the carburetor sees? Does the engine run rich for some other reason? How can a restrictor plate increase the vacuum signal the carb sees?

Thanks in advance. I have never ran an engine with a restrictor plate on it, so this is new ground for me.
modok
Guru
Guru
Re: Restrictor Plate Question

Post by modok »

340king wrote: Does the engine run rich for some other reason?
this seems to be the basis of the question.
Your guys are imagining where vacuum is and where it isn't and what amount for what period, but why? You aren't measuring it. Lets stick to the true part of the story.

So it goes rich? it may, it may not, it would depend on the kind of carburetor used.
Here is a more common question:
Will putting the same carburetor on a larger or smaller engine need a different size jet?
WHO KNOWS! it could go either way. Same reason. None of this is linear.
naukkis79
Pro
Pro

Post by naukkis79 »

Restrictor plate acts like smaller venturi in carb, it increases air velocity, so yes it will increase vacuum signal.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

a restrictor plate reduces the air flow into the engine. at a local track we ran different size restrictor plates on the same spec engine for the different classes. I had my contact at GM run the program for what size holes I needed to get the HP difference we wanted. NASCAR now uses a tapered spacer to restrict the air flow instead of the flat restrictor plate. the tapered spacer does not cause as much turbulence as the flat restrictor plate and increases the HP over a flat restrictor plate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

any one here remember jr johnsons "floating restrictor plate" that increased the HP ???
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

when we ran the modified race at Daytona with a 1-1/2" restrictor plate I did not have to change jetting that I used without the plate
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert

Post by BlitzA64 »

any one here remember jr johnsons "floating restrictor plate" that increased the HP ???
I remember that going on, I thought Roush was involved as well? No idea how it worked.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

BlitzA64 wrote:
I remember that going on, I thought Roush was involved as well? No idea how it worked.
the restrictor plate was to be welded in place in the intake but was tricked up to look like it was welded in place but if floated up towards the bottom of the carb which allowed the mixture more room to make the turn into the intake runners.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

340king wrote:I was discussing the impacts of running a restrictor place under the carb of a dirt late model with some racers tonight. In that discussion they claimed that a restrictor plate increased the vacuum of the engine, which I agreed with, under the plate. They said no, it increased the vacuum at the carburetor, which doesn't seem possible to me. I have heard this said a couple of times and am wondering what I am missing.

Does a restrictor plate increase the vacuum the carburetor sees? Does the engine run rich for some other reason? How can a restrictor plate increase the vacuum signal the carb sees?

Thanks in advance. I have never ran an engine with a restrictor plate on it, so this is new ground for me.
I agree with you. More vac downstream of the restrictor, not upstream even with higher velocity inside the plate itself. But, isn't that just a local velocity due to it being the choke of the system? The carb is still big but flows less due to reduced signal. And, a reduced signal is less vacuum. I think...