Budget pulling truck engine named (Tommy Boy)

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Budget pulling truck engine named (Tommy Boy)

Post by GARY C »

groberts101 wrote:I get some of the points being made here but I do have to admit to being overly amused by smart-ass remarks. Hell, I've even been called "Mr Smart Ass" on more than one occasion. And it seems the bigger the smart-ass you are by nature?.. the more you can appreciate others continued efforts towards the same. :lol:

Randy,.. will you be posting some pictures of these heads if/when you decide to work on them?
I'm as guilty of this as anyone.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

GARY C wrote:
groberts101 wrote:I get some of the points being made here but I do have to admit to being overly amused by smart-ass remarks. Hell, I've even been called "Mr Smart Ass" on more than one occasion. And it seems the bigger the smart-ass you are by nature?.. the more you can appreciate others continued efforts towards the same. :lol:

Randy,.. will you be posting some pictures of these heads if/when you decide to work on them?
I'm as guilty of this as anyone.
I resemble that remark! :lol: What gets me into trouble sometimes is that I do it purely from a humorous standpoint, but there are some people that misinterpret it as being mean-spirited. It's difficult to interpret "tone" in text as opposed to speaking with someone face-to-face.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

I personally don't think either cam is completely out to lunch. If the valve job testing with both cams shows the same basic trend, then you are in a better starting position on the next engine than you were before the testing.

I also think that with both of those cams tested in all positions for best power, it would make getting a 3rd cam that's better than those two everywhere an easier task than if you hadn't tested them.

Even if absolutely nothing were to change with both cams or valve jobs, there is a lot to be learned from that. Nothing is for sale here, just learning, information gathering and sharing. Im looking forward to seeing and then reviewing the results. All smartassedness aside :lol:
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

I will try to keep my smartass comments to minimum. :^o :D

But how many feel testing 2 different cams that are 20* apart on duration, but same lift with the current 45* valve job, then going steeper seats and re testing isn't a "legitimate test" as Gary thinks ?

Randy
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

randy331 wrote:I will try to keep my smartass comments to minimum. :^o :D

But how many feel testing 2 different cams that are 20* apart on duration, but same lift with the current 45* valve job, then going steeper seats and re testing isn't a "legitimate test" as Gary thinks ?

Randy
I dont think ive asked you. Are the intensities similiar?
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Chad, the cam that came with Tommy Boy "Big Cam" has an intensity of 35* int. and ex. The Comp cam that we have to test "small cam" has an RT int. lobe, which is 30* intensity and an NC ex. lobe which is a 32* intensity. And the Comp cam is LS firing order, so that could possibly throw a curve into the results?

Randy
Old School
Pro
Pro

Post by Old School »

CGT wrote:I personally don't think either cam is completely out to lunch. If the valve job testing with both cams shows the same basic trend, then you are in a better starting position on the next engine than you were before the testing.

I also think that with both of those cams tested in all positions for best power, it would make getting a 3rd cam that's better than those two everywhere an easier task than if you hadn't tested them.

Even if absolutely nothing were to change with both cams or valve jobs, there is a lot to be learned from that. Nothing is for sale here, just learning, information gathering and sharing. Im looking forward to seeing and then reviewing the results. All smartassedness aside :lol:
This post as bracket racers say is "dead on with a zero". Experience and testing is the most effective way to find the "magic" cam that does not exist. I would like to see the cam folks send Randy their best cam for his combination and test them all. Odds are they would all be different is some aspects but how would that affect the power? Some may make more power high or low, carry power better, or come up on the throttle faster. It is the power band the engine is operated in that will make or break the cam.

It is accepted internet religion that poor exhaust ports (percentage wise) need more duration, sometimes lots more. We have ran big block Chevy super stockers with the old 840 cast heads that have those "poor" exhaust ports. Some of our fastest times were with single pattern cams, maybe it was because we were limited to one carb, maybe it was because rpm were limited to around 7500, maybe it was because we did not know how to utilize the extra exhaust duration. This was in the 80s so knowledge was a lot more limited than today. We tried all sorts of different cams, duration, lift, intake closing point, exhaust opening point, overlap and in the end there was very little et difference. However, in class racing you do not get gains in tenths, but a few hundreth if lucky, and you will sell your soul for a tenth.

I enjoy Randy's projects. He thinks very well and questions everything. Questioning is not putting down an idea but trying to understand a persons reason for believing that idea. Folks that are trying to gain knowledge will welcome a debate, ususally there are good ideas on both sides sometimes both ideas can be combined into a much better product.

Looking forward to the test. Best of luck Billy
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

I'm looking forward to seeing the test results. I believe there is more than one way to skin a cat. :shock:
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

randy331 wrote:Chad, the cam that came with Tommy Boy "Big Cam" has an intensity of 35* int. and ex. The Comp cam that we have to test "small cam" has an RT int. lobe, which is 30* intensity and an NC ex. lobe which is a 32* intensity. And the Comp cam is LS firing order, so that could possibly throw a curve into the results?

Randy
The intensity difference introduces more variables, but to be fair, if the same lobes were used on both cams but different durations, it could be argued that the different valve j9bs could warrant more or less aggressive lobes.

The firing order difference isn't a game changer for me, I personally havent seen anything there but cost.

The question is, what will be the best combination for Tommy'z boyz? My guess is the larger cam with the steeper seat angles. Will there be time to blend the new valve job in ? Thats a variable.
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

I have several cams laying around from my bigger is better days. A 278 -292, .465-.440 on 114. I ran in 18* 331 class engine if you would to try it. :)
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

randy331 wrote:I will try to keep my smartass comments to minimum. :^o :D Randy

You'll fail miserably :P
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Ron E wrote:
randy331 wrote:I will try to keep my smartass comments to minimum. :^o :D Randy

You'll fail miserably :P
Should I seek therapy ? :D

Randy
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Do you identify as a smartass?
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

CGT wrote:Do you identify as a smartass?
Trying not to, but it keeps shining through !! :D

Randy
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

the secret is don't let anyone know. But it looks like it's too late. :)