The maximum ring end gap for non-critical applications?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

barnym17
Guru
Guru
Re: The maximum ring end gap for non-critical applications?

Post by barnym17 »

I know from personal experience that when you are a 15 year old kid who don't know shit from shinola and you put 283 rings in a 327 and never even heard of checking ring gap,you kill every mosquito within 2 miles from the oil smoke cloud.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

barnym17 wrote:I know from personal experience that when you are a 15 year old kid who don't know shit from shinola and you put 283 rings in a 327 and never even heard of checking ring gap,you kill every mosquito within 2 miles from the oil smoke cloud.
Haha :lol: the best mozzie buster in town !!
Craig.
crazyman
Expert
Expert

Post by crazyman »

I know from my heyday I got a 350 from the JY you could move the piston about an 1/8". I can't imagine that ring gap. Best running cheapie I ever had. Only smoked at startup and around 7000rpm during a one wheel wonder. Obviously aftermarket cam, intake, headers, and home port. PCV delete with VC breather.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

cjperformance wrote:
modok wrote:Seems I took "non-critical" more literally than the others.
The engines I build most often, the second ring gap is .060 from the start, and they don't stop driving until the top ring breaks and the second ring wears to near nothing. Maybe I misunderstood.
Are military and industrial engines critical or non critical?
.060" from the start, what bore size, what application
cummins, 4.016 bore, first that comes to mind, but quite a few are like that, not just diesels.
Probably they are....trying to prolong th elife of the second ring? I assume, don't know.
Top gaps in the heavy duty stuff are pretty consistent new, but they DO WEAR, unlike a lot of the racing and oe quality modern stuff that barely does.
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

PackardV8 wrote:
a few thou too tight can destroy an engine, especially with hypereutectic pistons.
I'll disagree with that statement.

I don't think I've ever broken a piston on an N/A engine.
I've spun big end bearings and thrown rods with a combination of bad tuning and bad building........maybe 40 years ago.

But when it comes to playing with boost, hypereutectic pistons break very easily when you get the tune wrong.
It's the knock that does it............it's got zero to do with ring gaps.
I've broken so many of them that I've forgotten how many.

Where did this myth come from?
Engine builder versus wannabe tuner.
Tuner blows it up because he got it wrong..........it wasn't strong enough. The engine wasn't built right.

Factory ring gaps are always correct.
Mitsubishi(and others) use the same ring gap spec for both the N/A AND the turbo models.
That must tell you something?

If it doesn't knock.
Because the knock control actually works.
Then you won't break a piston.
Lots of aftermarket knock control systems don't work.

Bigger ring gaps are really horrible.
More blowby, oil in the cylinder, less octane....more knock.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

a useful resource for diagnosis of piston failure, there is a download to PDF button the bottom RHS

http://mam.kspg.com/mc/epaper?guid=14c0122387e59c2c
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

digger wrote:a useful resource for diagnosis of piston failure, there is a download to PDF button the bottom RHS

http://mam.kspg.com/mc/epaper?guid=14c0122387e59c2c

Thanks for posting the link. =D> =D>
I am sure it will come in handy as the wall posters don't cover in detail that the link PDF does
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

joe 90 wrote:
PackardV8 wrote:a few thou too tight can destroy an engine, especially with hypereutectic pistons.
I'll disagree with that statement. . . . I don't think I've ever broken a piston on an N/A engine. Bigger ring gaps are really horrible.
More blowby, oil in the cylinder, less octane....more knock.
From the United Engine and Machine KB Hypereutectic installation guidelines:

https://www.uempistons.com/installation ... lation.pdf
Modern piston design locates the top ring higher for improved performance. A high top ring operates at higher temperatures and requires a larger top ring end gap. To find the proper ring end gap, multiply your bore size by the ring end gap factor listed on the chart (i.e., Street Naturally Aspirated 4.000” bore x .0065” gap factor = .026” total top ring end gap).
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

modok wrote:
cjperformance wrote:
modok wrote:Seems I took "non-critical" more literally than the others.
The engines I build most often, the second ring gap is .060 from the start, and they don't stop driving until the top ring breaks and the second ring wears to near nothing. Maybe I misunderstood.
Are military and industrial engines critical or non critical?
.060" from the start, what bore size, what application
cummins, 4.016 bore, first that comes to mind, but quite a few are like that, not just diesels.
Probably they are....trying to prolong th elife of the second ring? I assume, don't know.
Top gaps in the heavy duty stuff are pretty consistent new, but they DO WEAR, unlike a lot of the racing and oe quality modern stuff that barely does.
That's interesting. What about the operating characteristics of modern diesels would suggest a second ring gap more than twice as wide as a heavy duty gasoline fueled engine?
Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Perfect Circle engineers did some testing on the importance of ring gap on "non-critical" applications several years ago. I don't have the test info in my files today, however the result was that there were no measurable negative results on ring end gaps up to about .040". 4.000" bore size was the test object.
Personally, I feel that checking and file-fitting of the ring gaps is just one of those many things that we, as high performance engine builders, should pay attention to.

What??? 283" Chev. rings installed in a 327" block???? That is just plain idiotic, surprised that the "builder" was even able to get the rings onto the pistons. 0.125" larger bore diameter times 3.14 (pi) would result in a ring gap of at least 0.390". Can't imagine that the engine was even able to start and run with huge gaps and no ring tension . . . . . . . . .
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Personally, I feel that checking and file-fitting of the ring gaps is just one of those many things that we, as high performance engine builders, should pay attention to.
The difference between something good and something great is attention to detail. Charles R. Swindoll
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle
continued success is dependent upon tremendous attention to detail. Frederick Lenz
Using best practice every time and then analyzing the result will also result in knowing when there can safely be an exception. My machinist always correctly complains about the analysis, parts chasing and special machine work necessary to build some of the obsolete stuff. However, if all we did was open boxes and assemble SBC383"s, I'd have given it up long ago.
Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering