GM's new LT5 DOHC engine

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Newold1
Guru
Guru
GM's new LT5 DOHC engine

Post by Newold1 »

Anybody have any sneek peeks or solid information on GM's new LT5 DOHC engine they will release for the 2018-2019 model year?

Obviously a DOHC V-8 engine makes a big major engine design re-direction for GM.

Maybe it's just going to be a new V-6 turbocharged DOHC engine?

With DOHC valve train control ( variable cam timing on both intake and exhaust independantly) and turbo charging you really don't need a V-8 to get to power levels needed in the new lighter, better transmission automobile platforms.

What do you know or think?
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: GM's new LT5 DOHC engine

Post by pdq67 »

You got my attention!!

I never did understand why GM canned the ZR-1/LT-5 back then???

I knew that it had cornering oiling problems, but what the hell??

I guess that it was the old, "It wasn't a real SBC", was all....

pdq67
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Mercury Marine Racing may be close to the new GM variant. Go to Mercury Racing and look at their new offering called the SB4 7.0 engine. It is some pretty decent DOHC technology and I think the base engine is an LS7 block with Edelbrock casting the heads. Might be something Mercury has been working with GM on. Many know that it was Mercury that cast and helped develop the original LT5 Corvette DOHC engine!

The old pushrod engine is gonna die hard thanks to the excellent history and performance of the LS engine, it's gonna be a slow death, but it is gonna die as an OEM engine platform!

The aftermarket will remain strong for the pushrod engines primarily because of cost considerations, but as more OHC domestic engines hit the market place and cost and availability improve the aftermarket will expand and slowly shift to those engines. The GM and Chrysler pushrod engines are about the only ones left in the world now. Us old pushrod guys will go "kicking and screaming!", but we will go!
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

Newold1 wrote:Anybody have any sneek peeks or solid information on GM's new LT5 DOHC engine they will release for the 2018-2019 model year?

Obviously a DOHC V-8 engine makes a big major engine design re-direction for GM.

Maybe it's just going to be a new V-6 turbocharged DOHC engine?

With DOHC valve train control ( variable cam timing on both intake and exhaust independantly) and turbo charging you really don't need a V-8 to get to power levels needed in the new lighter, better transmission automobile platforms.

What do you know or think?
if they go to a mid engine corvette the V-6 is a easier to package because it is shorter. they have a TT V-6 used in the caddy race cars. they also have experience with the TT V-6 indy car engine
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I think your right. My bet is a turbo charged DOHC V-6 in the Corvette mid engine!
stokerboats
Pro
Pro

Post by stokerboats »

Ain't gonna be a V6.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Fully counterweighted cross-plane V8 is worth it when you need large displacement and smooth running. In the turbo world, six cylinder engines and their 240 degree pulse separations and huge hp/l rule the world.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P »

That Mercury Marine engine is an interesting find. It's meant for automotive applications, but it's not emissions-legal (in present form - but that's easy for an OEM-level fuel injection control and emissions package to fix). How many would they sell if a crate-engine for 1976 and older cars is their only application? Using that base engine in the Corvette would sure help pay for their tooling.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

off shore boat push rod race engines have valve train problems as they get over revved when they free prop so a DOHC engine is the answer to this problem.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I hope this won't go the way I fear but: "Surely they use rev-limiters?"
Last edited by MadBill on Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
stokerboats
Pro
Pro

Post by stokerboats »

swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Yea Bill, they do if they have any brains at all. Get that MSC big book yet ????
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

pamotorman wrote:if they go to a mid engine corvette the V-6 is a easier to package because it is shorter. they have a TT V-6 used in the caddy race cars. they also have experience with the TT V-6 indy car engine

There already is a twin turbo V6 in the CTS and I think even the ATS. It's a 450hp variant of the 3.6.

The Corvette is getting a V8, period, and they've even announced it will be called the LT5 because why not?

There are some interesting things you can do with a mid engine drivetrain to make it shorter. If you outright don't want to build a transverse setup, you can put the clutch at the back of the trans (Audi's been doing something similar for 10-odd years now, the torque converter is behind the differential) or you can have a transverse transmission with the 90 degree oritentation change on the input shaft instead of the final drive, which gives you added space behind the trans as well as reduces certain losses in the trans.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

peejay wrote:
pamotorman wrote:if they go to a mid engine corvette the V-6 is a easier to package because it is shorter. they have a TT V-6 used in the caddy race cars. they also have experience with the TT V-6 indy car engine

There already is a twin turbo V6 in the CTS and I think even the ATS. It's a 450hp variant of the 3.6.

The Corvette is getting a V8, period, and they've even announced it will be called the LT5 because why not?

There are some interesting things you can do with a mid engine drivetrain to make it shorter. If you outright don't want to build a transverse setup, you can put the clutch at the back of the trans (Audi's been doing something similar for 10-odd years now, the torque converter is behind the differential) or you can have a transverse transmission with the 90 degree oritentation change on the input shaft instead of the final drive, which gives you added space behind the trans as well as reduces certain losses in the trans.
Of course, marketing is the one ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

Why use a top heavy engine with 4 cams instead of the simple and smart packaged engine they have now?
It os going to add a lot of weight on top of the engine and that is not good.
I really hate BMW crap V8 but their V12 is nice even with the over head cams.

Erland