Junk 350

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

vortecpro
Guru
Guru
Re: Junk 350

Post by vortecpro »

KnightEngines wrote:Those heads looked ok, what was the MCSA & flow?

In other news the block is not cracked :)
Turns out it's just had some water sitting in it at some point & the 'crack' was just some staining.
Ran the crack tester over the whole valley & it's good.

Small win, not having to do a crack repair puts $ towards the new pistons.
"what was the MCSA & flow?"

My heads flowed 238/184, don't know the MCSA. They were 1.940/1.50 on the valves, needless to say they were not very good, I used a 040 casting and they would not respond at all. I did a set of 291s before these and they went 247 with the 1.940, and I consider that good for myself.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

This was a cool project, ever get any dyno #s? Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

I'll have to find out, last I heard the lads were still painting the car & motor wasn't fitted yet, but that was a couple of months ago.
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

I didn't read the whole thread.

Since a crack in the block was found, I presume the crank and rods were mag particle tested before the rods were re-worked?

We found lots of ugly stuff and even outright problems in Gen 1 SBC broached con rod bolt head notches back in the 70s and 80s.
Problems = progressing fatigue cracks even on rods from engines that served passenger car service. Maybe they all came from families with teenaged sons.
jlbayes

Post by jlbayes »

KnightEngines wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:26 pm In other news the block is not cracked :)
Turns out it's just had some water sitting in it at some point & the 'crack' was just some staining.
Ran the crack tester over the whole valley & it's good.

Small win, not having to do a crack repair puts $ towards the new pistons.
Dan Timberlake wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:53 am I didn't read the whole thread.

Since a crack in the block was found, I presume the crank and rods were mag particle tested before the rods were re-worked?

We found lots of ugly stuff and even outright problems in Gen 1 SBC broached con rod bolt head notches back in the 70s and 80s.
Problems = progressing fatigue cracks even on rods from engines that served passenger car service. Maybe they all came from families with teenaged sons.
You should have.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

It's in the car & performing very well, not raced yet & just tuned on the street - but apparently feels pretty strong, owner is a happy camper.

Will see the strip some time soonish.