lsx oiling question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gslaton
lsx oiling question

Post by gslaton »

A super stock GT car running a COPO 350 NA. This motor is 4.125 bore with 3.27 stroke. At present it goes thru the lights at 95 to 9700 (depending on air) This motor has had a oiling problems but a present they seem to be under control.(for now) The question is a -10 AN line to and from the remote oil filter big enough considering the rpm levels this engine is turning in the lights. The small fitting on the front of the block has been drilled to .475 and the other line is the stock size. Is there any reason to change this to a -12 AN line(s)? Because of the on and off nature of previous oiling problems we are trying to leave no stone unturned.

Thanks

Gary
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Re: lsx oiling question

Post by RW TECH »

gslaton wrote:A super stock GT car running a COPO 350 NA. This motor is 4.125 bore with 3.27 stroke. At present it goes thru the lights at 95 to 9700 (depending on air) This motor has had a oiling problems but a present they seem to be under control.(for now) The question is a -10 AN line to and from the remote oil filter big enough considering the rpm levels this engine is turning in the lights. The small fitting on the front of the block has been drilled to .475 and the other line is the stock size. Is there any reason to change this to a -12 AN line(s)? Because of the on and off nature of previous oiling problems we are trying to leave no stone unturned.

Thanks

Gary
-10 is on the small side for remote filter hoses. Is this an LSX iron block? Are you feeding the filter from the fitting that was drilled & returning to the one that is still at original size?

What symptoms did you see when it was having problems? If it burned up bearings, which ones?
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

A couple of questions for me:

Is This the regular COPO 350-350HP N/A engine?
Do they equip this engine with the high volume gearotor oil pump or does GMPP use a stock LS pump.
What viscosity oil are you running?
What oil filter are you running -part#

I am reading your post indicating you are running thru the lights between 9400-9500rpms, Is that correct or a typo?

I agree that you should remote the oil filter with #12AN and no sharp bend 90's or fittings.
Also get the remote as close to the engine as possible within available space limitations.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

Newold1 wrote:A couple of questions for me:

Do they equip this engine with the high volume gearotor oil pump or does GMPP use a stock LS pump.

I am reading your post indicating you are running thru the lights between 9400-9500rpms, Is that correct or a typo?

I agree that you should remote the oil filter with #12AN and no sharp bend 90's or fittings.
Also get the remote as close to the engine as possible within available space limitations.
The only 350 COPO NA engine is the 350-350 that has 3.27" stroke. The 350 SC engine has a 3.37" stroke.

GM uses a stock LS3 oil pump with a shimmed relief spring in it.
gslaton

Post by gslaton »

Newold1 wrote:A couple of questions for me:

This is the 350-350 COPO motor with the NHRA allowed mods for Super Stock. It has a Shuman pump with cut down gears. Normally run 5/20W oil with a WIX racing filter. The 9500 to 9700 rpm is not a typo. The car runs about 147 mph depending on air. (147+ at Indy last year in crap air)
gslaton

Post by gslaton »

RW TECH wrote:
gslaton wrote:A super stock GT car running a COPO 350 NA. This motor is 4.125 bore with 3.27 stroke. At present it goes thru the lights at 95 to 9700 (depending on air) This motor has had a oiling problems but a present they seem to be under control.(for now) The question is a -10 AN line to and from the remote oil filter big enough considering the rpm levels this engine is turning in the lights. The small fitting on the front of the block has been drilled to .475 and the other line is the stock size. Is there any reason to change this to a -12 AN line(s)? Because of the on and off nature of previous oiling problems we are trying to leave no stone unturned.

Thanks

Gary
-10 is on the small side for remote filter hoses. Is this an LSX iron block? Are you feeding the filter from the fitting that was drilled & returning to the one that is still at original size?

What symptoms did you see when it was having problems? If it burned up bearings, which ones?

This is the iron LSX block. All the normal tricks (restricted oil to top end,etc) My original post was incorrect the front fitting is .450(from the motor), the rear is .475 to the rear of the block. Orignally this was run as a 6 liter and consistently killed the #2 & #4 main bearing. So far that problem has not returned with the 350. We are just trying to keep any problems from returning

Gary
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

gslaton wrote:
RW TECH wrote:

Thanks

Gary

This is the iron LSX block. All the normal tricks (restricted oil to top end,etc) My original post was incorrect the front fitting is .450(from the motor), the rear is .475 to the rear of the block. Orignally this was run as a 6 liter and consistently killed the #2 & #4 main bearing. So far that problem has not returned with the 350. We are just trying to keep any problems from returning

Gary
What crank was in the 6.0L? Were you running it above 9K RPM?

Hurting 2 & 4 is usually a counterweight problem & incorrect damper tuning will make that even worse.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

THIS^^^^^^^^