Russian made ti valves

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mk e
Guru
Guru

Re: Russian made ti valves

Post by mk e »

Xnke wrote:To be fair in 1976 our fighters were using tubes as well.
I got out of the USAF in 1986 and was working with vac tubes avionic. To be fair the planes were built in the late 50s and being retired, not new in 1976.

I don't buy anything Russian these days if I can help it, its a person boycott of goods form countries hostile to the US.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

clshore wrote:
statsystems wrote:
clshore wrote:Before we get all 'high and mighty', just look around at our crumbling infrastructure ...
Roads, bridges, buildings ... and our social institutions.
We just finished a crushing election cycle, and look what we wound up with ...

Looks like the Russians are going to be our new BFF ...

Don't like my political comments?
Don't blame me, someone else opened the door here.
I prefer to discuss 'Speed Talk' issues, there are forums on this Board where politics are OK.

If you think Russia is a better place to live, have at it.

Russia has been ass backwards for centuries. The only technology they have was either stolen from US, or WE gave it to them through turds like FDR, TRUMAN and the joker known as Eisenhower.

Russia can't feed itself, even though it has some on the best agricultural land on the planet. It can't produce even the most menial of devices for the population to this day.

Facts hurt. But they are still facts.
I don't think Russia is a better place to live, I want to make sure we don't become them.

But the guy who just conned his way into the white house, who promised to "Make us Great Again"
and his GOP buddies are moving quickly to make us Just as Great as Russia is now, by turning us into exactly the same thing.

So yes, facts DO hurt.
Wake up, I suggest that you look around, and maybe see them for yourself.
Or maybe it's YOU that thinks Russia is better, and we ought to become like them?

BTW, if you are looking to place some blame, add Fred Koch to your list, Russia is where he made his fortune.

Jesus, go to the politic section.
ctk30

Post by ctk30 »

Redvetracr, why don't you stick to keeping your political posts on corvette forum and quit disguising them here as tech questions :lol:

-Yellow73SB
k1ob.com
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

mk e wrote:
Xnke wrote:To be fair in 1976 our fighters were using tubes as well.
I got out of the USAF in 1986 and was working with vac tubes avionic. To be fair the planes were built in the late 50s and being retired, not new in 1976.

I don't buy anything Russian these days if I can help it, its a person boycott of goods form countries hostile to the US.
During the cold war the United States developed some radar systems that utilized a single source tube that was purchased from Siemens. Little did they know that Siemens only produced that tube in their East German facility.

Tubes were/are often still used when the circuits didn't require a lot of miniaturization but instead needed to be very robust and resistant to things like lightning strikes(radio transmitters) and electro magnetic pulse (defense installations).
Ed Wright
Pro
Pro

Post by Ed Wright »

I had a deal pulling the center out of a Titanium retainer.
New engine at Indy a few years ago. Push it in neutral past the finish line.
Went to start it on the return road, it was destroyed. Brand new heads, bow tie block, rods & pistons. All gone. Dyno time only.
Gary Hetler told me if there was no name on them, they were likely Russian Titanium. Never heard of that. Should be machined from bar Stock, these looked like a casting where it was broken. I only use Victory now.
I would be scared to death of Russian titanium valves. Gary said Vistory used U.S. made Titanium. I believe anything Gary tells me.
http://www.fastchip.com/
SS/JA 4156
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

clshore wrote:
dfarr67 wrote:
JoePorting wrote:Russia invented the AK-47 which is regarded as the best gun ever invented and has been kicking our asses since the Vietnam war. The Mig-15 was also regarded as the best fighter aircraft in the late 40's. They beat us into space.

Of course now China is kicking every one's asses with an annual growth rate over 10% a year. Hopefully Trump can get some of our jobs and industry back from them.
Germans got there first.

https://www.pinterest.com/jarrspide/gun ... gewehr-44/
The post said 'best gun', not 'first assault rifle'.
AK-47 is crude and unsophisticated.
It's also brutally effective, even in the worst conditions, and will deliver lethality to your enemy, while they are busy trying to keep their weapons working.
Sorry I wasn't expressing myself, looks like a copy to me right down to the ammunition.
Ed Wright
Pro
Pro

Post by Ed Wright »

Does all this about the AK47 have anything to do with Titanium valves or retainers?
SS/JA 4156
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Sort of. If Russia can make good military hardware, then they should be able to make good engine parts.
Joe Facciano
hpetew

Post by hpetew »

lefty o wrote:
hpetew wrote:The best vacuum tubes currently manufactured come from former soviet bloc countries. I don't think I'd buy an intake valve from them though.
you got a lot of use for vacuum tubes? LOL
Yeah, in guitar amps, nothing sounds the same and no American company makes them anymore...
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

hpetew wrote:
lefty o wrote:
hpetew wrote:The best vacuum tubes currently manufactured come from former soviet bloc countries. I don't think I'd buy an intake valve from them though.
you got a lot of use for vacuum tubes? LOL
Yeah, in guitar amps, nothing sounds the same and no American company makes them anymore...
Guitar amps, high end audio, recording studio pre-amps, microwave ovens, radio transmitters, electro-magnetic weapons.

There is a start-up in the USA making tubes http://www.rchlabs.com/our-facility.

Most of tubes come from the former soviet countries or china, BUT with US investment to get the quality better.

So with any titanium part made in Russia or China , I'd wonder about quality control.

There were some titanium retainer failing a few years back. They were being machined with screw machines and had too many stress raisers.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

My McIntosh AMPs
Ed Wright
Pro
Pro

Post by Ed Wright »

After seeing my broken retainer, I question the quality of their material.
SS/JA 4156
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Simplistic pieces of logic sometimes help to answer complex questions.

How reliable and well made for RACING APPLICATIONS are Russian titanium retainers?

Answer: How many Russian made titanium retainers get used in Russian racing venues and programs? !!

Not Many!

There's your answer, sitting right in front of us!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Ed Wright
Pro
Pro

Post by Ed Wright »

I did not knowingly buy retainers from Russia, or made from Russian Titanium, if that is what they were what Gary Hetler said they were (he did not sell them to me) I bought them from a prominent racing engine components supplier I with who I had done business with for years. Of course, the guy on the phone when I inquired about that knew nothing. Nobody knew where their titanium was made. I won't buy one now that does not have Vistory printed on it. I then threw away three sets of unmarked titanium retainers.
SS/JA 4156
Xnke
Pro
Pro

Post by Xnke »

Well, I have to say I doubt you buy much "USA Titanium"...we just don't have it in the ground here. There is so little titanium in the US, we simply didn't use commercially it until Russian supplies of it were available the market. Pretty much any Ti you buy is coming from Russia.

Now, there are many different grades of Ti. Pure Ti isn't really used, but 6AL-4Ti is used for most engine parts-it's a titanium aluminum alloy. Depending on what alloy your "russian" retainers were, it may not have been worth shit for your application. You simply don't know-because the russian manufacturer probably didn't know.