Russian made ti valves

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Russian made ti valves

Post by MadBill »

Morgo wrote:..And for sure;Russians CAN make some fine equipment if there is will and funding....
Yes. After all, they did manage to stumble into Space before anyone else...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Geoff2 wrote:A long history of making good military equipment? I don't think so.
A Russian pilot, Victor Belenko I believe was his name, defected to the west in Russia's latest Mig 25 Foxbat fighter in 1976. He flew from the western tip of Russia to Japan.....because that short distance was all that was possible with the very short fuel range...the fuel range was short because of the fuel hungry HUGE engines.....the engines were huge because the plane was so heavy...it was so heavy because of the extensive use of steel, not alum to reduce weight. And the electronics...used 30 yr old vacuum tubes!
The fact that the USSR made the Mig 25 in 1976 should be viewed as a major accomplishment. How many other countries had something like it back then?

I believe the Mig 25 was designed to shoot down the B-70, so it didn't need much range.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Ame ... 0_Valkyrie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-25
Joe Facciano
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

If we want to think about more current Russian military equipment you should read up on the Russians aircraft carrier that just had to return to Russia from off of Syria where it had numerous breakdowns and lost two of its jets trying to land on deck! From what I understand from some military equipment experts I have talked to said that the Chinese military equipment is way better than the Russian equipment, but that they say is not saying much. From my knowledge and information, making titanium valves is more difficult than making stainless valves so I am not sure I would want to run Russian titanium valves.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Xnke
Pro
Pro

Post by Xnke »

To be fair in 1976 our fighters were using tubes as well. Heck, even today, if you need more than a kilowatt at microwave frequencies, you generally go for a tube over solid state.

Now, the 1991 MIG 29s were still using them...because they actually are superior for radar AND EMP-proof...nukes wont kill them with an indirect hit, but a nuke will kill ANY of the 1991 USAF fighters with an indirect hit...

The fact that Russia still makes very high quality vacuum tubes and equipment today tells me they still use them somewhere.

Russian Ti is a bit of a toss up, it can be very, very high quality stuff or it can be scrap junk. Hard to say till you have it in your hands.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Xnke wrote:..Russian Ti is a bit of a toss up, it can be very, very high quality stuff or it can be scrap junk. Hard to say till you have it in your hands.
How do you tell when you do have it in hand?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Daniel Jones
Pro
Pro

Post by Daniel Jones »

> A Russian pilot, Victor Belenko I believe was his name, defected to the west in Russia's latest Mig 25 Foxbat fighter in 1976.

I got to meet Belenko a couple of decades ago. He had a lot of funny stories about adjusting to life in United States. He mentioned that the CIA set him up in a beach front hotel when he first arrived and bought him all new clothes. He pulled out a pair of BVD briefs thinking they were swim trunks and walked out of the lobby onto the beach. He couldn't figure out why people were looking at him. After all, the white briefs were new with no stains :-)

> He flew from the western tip of Russia to Japan.....because that short distance was all that was possible with the very short fuel range...

While the Foxbat had a short range, one contributing factor was he was flying nap of the earth to avoid radar.

Dan Jones
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

JoePorting wrote:
Geoff2 wrote:A long history of making good military equipment? I don't think so.
A Russian pilot, Victor Belenko I believe was his name, defected to the west in Russia's latest Mig 25 Foxbat fighter in 1976. He flew from the western tip of Russia to Japan.....because that short distance was all that was possible with the very short fuel range...the fuel range was short because of the fuel hungry HUGE engines.....the engines were huge because the plane was so heavy...it was so heavy because of the extensive use of steel, not alum to reduce weight. And the electronics...used 30 yr old vacuum tubes!
The fact that the USSR made the Mig 25 in 1976 should be viewed as a major accomplishment. How many other countries had something like it back then?

I believe the Mig 25 was designed to shoot down the B-70, so it didn't need much range.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Ame ... 0_Valkyrie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-25
Looks like the B-70 as a bomber was cancelled several years before the MIG 25 made it's first flight....
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

The CIA consensus is that that is Hacked Material owned by Trump!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

GARY C wrote:The CIA consensus is that that is Hacked Material owned by Trump!
at least the dems got someone else to blame other than Bush now. LOL
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

lefty o wrote:
GARY C wrote:The CIA consensus is that that is Hacked Material owned by Trump!
at least the dems got someone else to blame other than Bush now. LOL
Give them a month and it will be the Rubush or the Bushians! They are good at making up names that don't exist for a cause thats not needed.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

In the 1970s, I worked [ reluctantly ] on Russian motorbikes. They were copies [ like a lot of Russian equipment/cars ] of the horizontal twin 650cc BMW twin. It came with a single plough seat & we used to say they were the only 1938 BMW you could buy new in the 1970s.......
They were so unreliable we had to get pistons & valves made locally to replace the factory pars so that they would last out the warranty period...
A local motorcycle magazine road tested one of them & when the test was finished, they left the cycle leaning up against a road sign. The road sign read 'Rubbish', pointing to a rubbish tip.

Things may have changed after 1989, but anybody who thinks Russian technology prior to that was good....well dream on...
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Victor Belenko. I read his book about his defection, which is why I knew about the Mig 25. When he got to the US, he couldn't believe people had their own fridge, not an ice box like a 'privileged' fighter pilot had. He was further shocked when he saw farmers with their own crop dusting planes, unheard of in Russia. A big problem among his brother pilots was rampant alcoholism, with many pilots drinking the glycol engine coolant.
barnym17
Guru
Guru

Post by barnym17 »

Another interesting story is how nasa spent major bucks to find a pen that would write in the zero gravity of space,the Russian solution -send a pencil.
autogear
Vendor

Post by autogear »

Some of my vintage camera lenses are Russian made. Very good glass; it seems to impart a warmth to the photos that the modern lenses have 'scienced out'
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Two jokes on the Soviet goods quality.

---

A Chinese man used a hand grenade as a nut cracker for 25 years. Fortunately, the hand grenade was made in Soviet Union.

---

Question: What does not fit in your butt and does not buzz?
Answer: A Soviet butt-buzzing device.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here