HOW HOT IS A 426 TODAY?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Morgo
Re: HOW HOT IS A 426 TODAY?

Post by Morgo »

Been playing enough with Toyota Hemi engines.. the old 2T pushrod Hemi is still good when supercharged;NA and the "orange peel" chamber is not.The DOHC-version suffers same shortcomings.Either insane stroke to make compression without mountain of a dome piston or lots of boost with flat-top piston.Most find the more modern 16-valve derivates lighter,more powerful and one that there is parts available.Hell,the last 2/3T was produced around -85 so museum motor!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_T_engine
"when uncomptent order unwilling to do unnecsessary the probablity of failure is high"
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

^^ For a minute I thought you meant the Toyota 5V engine.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=toyo ... 0Q_AUIBygB
Morgo

Post by Morgo »

No,not the 5-valve (for some reason Toyota has no code for the 5-valve version engines;otherwise the coding is so clear that you instantly know what kind of engine is in question)
For example there is a 4A;basic 2-valve OHC economy motor.Then there is derivative (same block) 4A-F with 4-valve head and carb.Next is about the same with EFI (Being 4A-FE) then the performance version 4A-AGE (G meaning twin overhead cams and performance oriented)
But there is no letters for A-series 5- valve Silvertop/Blacktop
As well the S-series BEAMS has no own code.
Enough rant..
"when uncomptent order unwilling to do unnecsessary the probablity of failure is high"
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

Morgo wrote:No,not the 5-valve
Nah, the Toyota two valve hemi V8.

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

I suppose a fair test is take a "New" Hemi ,which is more like a pentroof, strip away the electronic engine management other than whats needed for ignition and bolt on a carb...Then take the 426 Hemi and tune both of them reasonably the same for street use... Which one will make the most power per cu inch ???
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

A few years back I was fortunate to get a private tour of Don Garlits personal shop with Don himself. Don said in the early years he ran a couple small block Chevy fuelers as I beleive they were running the smaller Hemi then. He said the Chevy made more power and they would've likely stayed with Chevy had dodge not dropped off a truck load of hemi test mules off dyno for them to try after being disgruntled with the swap. So even under boosted /nitro conditions it may not exactly been the king it is perceived.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Truckedup wrote:I suppose a fair test is take a "New" Hemi ,which is more like a pentroof, strip away the electronic engine management other than whats needed for ignition and bolt on a carb...Then take the 426 Hemi and tune both of them reasonably the same for street use... Which one will make the most power per cu inch ???
Probably the new Hemi, by far.

The new problem is that the new Hemi would need a gigantic hood scoop for any vehicle made since the mid-50s since the port geometry isn't compromised to fit a carb intake under a low hoodline. The ports point more or less straight up, which is something you can easily get away with when you have EFI.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

In the late 70's the future of factory big blocks and high horsepower was gone as far as we knew until new technology came about to make
more HP with smaller engines plus fewer emissions and better fuel economy.
Comparing the famed Street and Race Hemi with todays engines is like comparing a P-51 Mustang with todays jet fighter.
However the sound and sight of a P-51 gives me more chills than any jet could....oh and I have to throw in those killer radial engines in along with the P-51 too!

You have to look at the whole picture that adds to the nostalgia of the Hemi back in those days....they sounded mean...Sunoco 260 was available around the corner for 35 cent a gallon..... every night where I lived was a cruise night on the blvd. where you could get stoplight action without worry of all the traffic
we have today. It was GREAT time!
Diodedog
Pro
Pro

Post by Diodedog »

We all know the Hemi's were banned from NASCAR because they dominated and in the early days of Pro Stock, NHRA had to penalize the Hemis with more weight to help the underdogs. They owned NASCAR and Pro Stock and from 64 until today they're still the fastest non GT Stock and Superstocks with carburetors. The first BB Chryslers 350 and 361 hit the streets in late 57 and other than a relocation of the upper head bolt location and a small increase in deck height the 426 is the same shortblock. Once again, not bad for a 60 year old design.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

Circlotron wrote:

Is this for real, or something that was fabricated?
So much to do, so little time...
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

predator wrote:QUESTION: Inch for Inch, is the 426 Hemi still the Dominate engine as far as it's ability to make Power. I mean the 426 was a Kick-Ass Design. But has time and technology regulated a 426 t=o Has-Been status? I thinking back to the Days when the 426 struck fear in the Hearts of racers running up against a 426 with their Big Block Chevys, and Fords. But then again that wads qyite a while ago.
Nowadays the updated small blocks would put the hurt on the hemi. But in the super stock days I do beleive Ford handled the Hemi quite regularly. And if Ford would not have dropped the cammer and the aftermarket took it over history may have been different.
Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P »

Truckedup wrote:I suppose a fair test is take a "New" Hemi ,which is more like a pentroof, strip away the electronic engine management other than whats needed for ignition and bolt on a carb...Then take the 426 Hemi and tune both of them reasonably the same for street use... Which one will make the most power per cu inch ???
Or leave it all in place and compare "stock for stock" using the intake manifold configuration that came with the engine.

https://www.mopar.com/etc/designs/mopar ... ngines.pdf

From a 6.4 (392 cu in - closest we can get to the old Hemi's displacement) ... 485 hp and 475 lb.ft straight out of the box. Chrysler claims 525 hp from a 6.4 engine when installed in a car ... Wikipedia claims the crate engine is a different build than the production engine. Why, or what's different ... no idea.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /overview/

From a crate 426 which is 7.0 L so it has the displacement advantage ... 465 hp and 485 lb.ft claimed.

Obviously this ain't the same as testing both engines on the same dyno but I think it's going to be heading in the direction of the new engine making more power (and better driveability, and better emissions, and better fuel consumption, but that's another matter).
The Ry Guy

Post by The Ry Guy »

rfoll wrote:
Circlotron wrote:

Is this for real, or something that was fabricated?
I would say that is for real. Search google for the Toyota "V" series of engines. Apparently they were only made for the Japanese market.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

A nice 4 liter aluminum hemi. I think a roots blower is in order here.
So much to do, so little time...
Morgo

Post by Morgo »