Who makes or will make oversize lifters BBC solid flat

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

wyrmrider
Guru
Guru
Re: Who makes or will make oversize lifters BBC solid flat

Post by wyrmrider »

Combine what Walter said with the fact that these lifters are worn every which way gives very very little chance of a successful roller installation and little chance for a flat tappet
os lifters with just a hone following the wear (works most of the time with a stock type cam) or think you are really good with a reamer? I'm not
If you are going to ream set up the tooling and do it right (I don't have a cnc) then finish hone
and if you are going to set up the tooling might as well go to MOPAR size
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

BBC lifter bores are all over the place, and that's why so many people wipe out lobes on BBC's. Have all the lifter bores trued, for .904" lifters
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
rockosocko

Post by rockosocko »

A few years ago I remember some talking about using AMC lifters for the larger diameter in the Chevy blocks
to run a more aggressive cam. Supposed to be same dimensions other wise.
The diameter escapes me though..

Just my .02
Hope it works for you.
E
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

rockosocko wrote:A few years ago I remember some talking about using AMC lifters for the larger diameter in the Chevy blocks
to run a more aggressive cam. Supposed to be same dimensions other wise.
The diameter escapes me though..

Just my .02
Hope it works for you.
E
AMC is the same diameter as Chrysler at .904
cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors »

Frankshaft wrote:Can't think of the name off the top of my head, but comp products sells +.002 solid roller lifters. Do a street solid roller, that has gentle easy ramps, lower valve lifts, and uses lighter spring pressures, they live a long time. The good oiling solid flat lifters aren't all that much cheaper anyhow. About a $300 swing, then, you could hone all 16 bores to the exact perfect size, and be done. And, make more power to boot. I have been using a lot of the street/low lift solid roller profiles from Erson as of late for street/strip type stuff, where its more street than strip. Have used some comp street solid rollers as well. To date, not 1 lifter lost. And some go back 10 years. And they make plenty of power.
x2 if .904 lifter is out of the question. Very nice USA made lifter, sold under Power Products brand. I have a few BBC's running around with these lifters, 1 SR profile and 2 HR profiles with .008" lash, and .680" lift. Only mod I do is to cut a tiny groove from oil band to just short of oil hole, otherwise it takes forever to get oil up top with .0016" lifter bore clearance.
http://www.competitionproducts.com/Powe ... ducts/413/
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining
Cylinder Head Fixture for Vertical / Surfacing Mills since 2008
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Mike wrote
BBC lifter bores are all over the place, and that's why so many people wipe out lobes on BBC's. Have all the lifter bores trued, for .904" lifters
what I meant to sayand that's stock and yours are worse
when going to different lifters always check the pushrod cups with some ball bearings and a mic to verify sizes and tell your pushrod vendor
aftermarket Chrysler Magnum .904 lifters and AMC Hyd lifters are now the same-- forget all the historic stuff except pushrod lengths and pushrod ball/ tip radius may have changed but they changed a long time ago
Big Block Mopar also had a running change to larger balls and the small ball lifters have not been available for years- you will see different lifter/ pushrod combos in the machinist's guides but forget and replace with the later stuff