Intake manifold design comparison

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

turbo2256b
Pro
Pro
Re: Intake manifold design comparison

Post by turbo2256b »

Have seen were someflow test a intake without blocking off other runners. One claim a GUY FLOW TESTED 3 BBF intakes bolted to a head claimed a Performer, RPM and a VrJr all flowed 300 cfm.

My testing has found a Performer flows really close to a stock head an RPM about 10 to 15 more and a torkerII or VrJr 40 or so more than a performer. It varies as a higher flowing head than stock will up the flow of some intakes.
Often I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL DIFFERENT INTAKES ON A PARTICULAR BUILD just to see what happens.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

turbo2256b wrote:Have seen were someflow test a intake without blocking off other runners.
Not me; runners not being tested are plugged. I add a radius to the edge of the carb pad closest to the port(s) being tested, too.
turbo2256b wrote:Often I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL DIFFERENT INTAKES ON A PARTICULAR BUILD just to see what happens.
Same here. I think during one very long dyno session years ago we tested at least four intakes and three or four different carbs.
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

The fit and finish of the Trick Flow intake was better than the Victor 383 which I had. The Victor had a lot of core shift so the runners were not well aligned with the ports and it was heavier than the Trick Flow intake. The Victor intake made okay power on the dyno but didn't do anything special. Since the Trick Flow intake was lighter, looked better and had better port alignment I picked it and sold the Victor. I sent the Trick Flow to Hughes for their deep port matching work and that picked up some power. If I had been willing to invest the time and money into the Victor it might have turned out just as nice as the Trick Flow unit so I guess my results are not conclusive.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

I should have detailed my Victor comment more, the added Plenum volume / HP gain was on a 500 cid to 540 cid motor.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

BACK FROM THE DEAD! :lol:

I gotta break out the Makita in the next couple of weeks and prep an intake that's going on the same build (yeah, it's really dragged out). I still have the Victor intake(s), but could also pick up a Trick Flow intake in time to complete the work if it would be better to spend my time on the newer design. Only going to have time to do one, so the next dyno session won't be an intake swap-fest like my last one... although I do have a bunch of carbs I want to check out.

So, it's a "Last call!" of sorts before I dive in and starting making chips... Thanks - Brad