SBC block mods and windaged tray oil pan

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Re: SBC block mods and windaged tray oil pan

Post by David Vizard »

Newold1 wrote:Nice pic Bill! Bring that old Camy back to the track!

That's an awesome build with that block in that car!

Here's the cross ram for you that quite a few have been stuffed under the hoods of Camaros with EFI fuel injection setups.
They are a jaw dropper when the hoods are popped!
Wow, what a looker!!
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

pamotorman wrote:as a piston goes down and another piston goes up so the windage created by the piston going down has to be able to get to the area where the piston is going up and those dividers prevent this from happening. GM even bored holes thru the main webs in the LS series block to allow this to happen
GLHS60 wrote:Olds 403 Engines have holes or cutouts in the main webs, could this have been what they were thinking or was it to lighten the casting??

Thanks
Randy
Bay to bay breathing. It lessens pumping losses. Porsche 928 blocks used at least a couple different variants.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

When considering bay to bay windage and oil control a lot of users here on Speedtalk are using Chevrolet small blocks, big blocks, LS and LSX, Ford small blocks and big blocks. ON the LS and LSX block types as well as the new DOHC Ford blocks the bay to bay windage or unequal pressure differences due to longer side skirting of the blocks around the crankshafts has been lessened and addressed with windowing of the deep main side webbing and cleaner oil drain back structures to alleviate the condition. On the older style engine block families where the recessing of the crankshaft is less and the cross bay windage and pressures are less, to window the main webs in some way would greatly weaken the webs and most likely deliver serious block failures in high rpm and racing applications.
I am unaware of any trials, modifications or uses where these older block main webs were windowed with any success, but one would think with all the aftermarket performance blocks developed in the last 30 years that if this was a viable option it would have already been done if successful. It is pretty much conventional practice in racing these and almost all engine types that unless simple vacuum pump, special oil pans and windage tray systems and such use cannot control high crankcase pressures and windage that dry sump systems are the remaining solution. Obviously there are a lot of worldwide engine designers, developers and builders that addressed these issues in much better form than some of the American car/engine builders and there are many examples of this in their engines. I think when it comes to engine design the American engine designers and manufacturers are still playing catch up to a lot of European manufacturers and designers when it comes to these power plants and their efficiencies.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Another dumb question.

Wouldn't this be another place where a large bore/short stroke engine would be at an advantage? While YES the actual displacement of moving air under the pistons would not change, a large bore/short stroke would mean the air in each "bay" would have less DISTANCE to travel, therefore less speed required, therefore easier airflow and less losses?

What DOES happen to the oil flying around when subjected to the air pulses from the undersides of the pistons?
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Sounds good, the only problem being that as the bore gets greatly over square with the stroke the frictional losses within the engine tend to eliminate the smaller gains made from the less windage pumping losses from a shorter stroke especially with respect to torque production. This has always been a contentious issue in engine design.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

I just wish I had the programming to make this one that Roush is sell or not selling.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Dry sumping like that solves a lot of windage and oil control issues.

That is one hell of a billet piece. I think even if you had the programming the cost of that billet of aluminum might dampen your enthusiasm, let alone the machine time.