Anyone tried steep valve seats (50-52)on a factory ls1 head?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rewguy
Expert
Expert
Anyone tried steep valve seats (50-52)on a factory ls1 head?

Post by rewguy »

Has anyone tried this? If so......How did it work out? Ive used a specific 52 in the past on std. small chevy stuff which Ive had great luck with. I dont plan on running a small camshaft in this engine......it will be .750+ lift with 8500 rpm at the finish line. Any real world flow results with the ls heads and a steep seat angle? Thankyou ahead of time..........
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Re: Anyone tried steep valve seats (50-52)on a factory ls1 h

Post by KnightEngines »

Gonna follow this, haven't done it, but given the short turn on these things I reckon it'd work out better than expected.
rewguy
Expert
Expert

Post by rewguy »

tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

just a DIYer here messing with 317, but just to clarify you mean 241/806/853 etc ls1 ports not ls6?
rewguy
Expert
Expert

Post by rewguy »

Yes......241/853 style
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

I have searched this somewhat, and Liljohn (Motorsports) on ls1tech who was a machinist for TEA I believe talked about it. He might be someone to talk too about it? Might be stock48 over their too not sure.
turbofabricator

Post by turbofabricator »

Sadly, LilJohn has passed away.
Ken B.
"I work best under pressure"
jarmoyp

Post by jarmoyp »

rewguy wrote:Has anyone tried this? If so......How did it work out? Ive used a specific 52 in the past on std. small chevy stuff which Ive had great luck with. I dont plan on running a small camshaft in this engine......it will be .750+ lift with 8500 rpm at the finish line. Any real world flow results with the ls heads and a steep seat angle? Thankyou ahead of time..........
Just try it, under these 9 days after you asked, you could have an answer for this by yourself. :D
I have done it, flowbench shows not always better results but dyno does..just try it.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

lol, how do you prove it. MAF tests are the real. However, if you change ANYTHING in a speed density application, it requires a re-tune. I just finished a BONE stock 5.3L and got 50hp with an intake manifold change and tune. :D Baselined it at 315hp bone stock with a stock GM tune, which is the exact same number GM rated it. Did some CAM and intake changes, 'lil 5.3 all STOCK made 1.4hp per cu in. 456hp. Not bad for a 'lil 326 cu in :)

Maybe I should have tried some different valve angles, but crapola, this was straight outta the junk yard. That was why we tested it compared it stock to stock to make sure the dyno wasn't having a good day. ;)
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl