2 Stroke Oil Substitution

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
2 Stroke Oil Substitution

Post by Dodge Freak »

I ran outta 2 stroke oil for my snow blower, the snow blowers gas tank is half full and I like to top it up with more gasoline. Would a little bit a tranny oil or motor oil hurt. I'm thinking motor oil might clog the tiny carburetor.....I know I should just get out there and buy some more 2 stroke oil, lol but thought i ask what the experts here think.

What is 2 stroke oil, a super thin motor oil ?
pamotorman
Guru
Guru
Re: 2 Stroke Oil Substitution

Post by pamotorman »

2 stroke oil has little or no ash to leave a deposit after it burns. the big difference is the additives but you can run regular motor oil in a emergency and it will smoke more.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Heck, a 1/2 a tank and a one time deal!

Put the needed amount of good oil in her and do your snow blowing!

Then get off your keaster and go buy a big bottle of 2-stroke oil and be done with it.

You are using, "Premium Unleaded Non Ethanol", gasoline mixed with the 2-stroke oil, aren't you?? It's kinda hard to find, but it's best to, imho...

Both my 4-stroke lawnmowers without the oil and my string trimmer with the oil run better on the Premium gasoline.....

pdq67
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru

Post by Dodge Freak »

I recall ages ago in the early 80's I knew a punk who on spite wanted to ruin a 2 stroke engine on some moped he swiped from some kid he hated :?

He ran and ran that little bike with the cheapest gasoline sold which was the old leaded 89 octane, after the 3rd tank the engine still seem to be running fine even thou he added no oil to the gasoline. He was like what the, how come the little motor is still going. He then got an idea of trying the more expensive no lead 87 octane gas. Sure enough the little engine started slowing down. He ran it until the engine stop and then left it near were he stole it, so it would be found.

A few days later on, he seen the kid he hated on that moped riding around town :?: He figured there was no way the engine could had been fixed that quick and it must not have been ruined after all.

What ever happen to that kid i got no idea, he befriended me a year or so after that. I don't think he really liked anybody looking back :(
crazyman
Expert
Expert

Post by crazyman »

The old Clinton 2smokes actually spec'ed sae30.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I even pour some of my 2-stroke mixed gasoline in my 4-stroke lawnmowers when I run out of their gasoline. They smoke just a tad, but run fine.

I think my mix is 50 to 1?

I finally went and got 5 gallons of gas for my lawnmowers just before it turned cold.

pdq67
larrycavan
Expert
Expert

Post by larrycavan »

For all 2 cycle power tools the best oil IMO is Optimal. 100:1 mix ratio is recommended. I've used it for many years in chain saws, weed eaters, etc. In the spring I fill a 5 gallon can with 81 octane gas, add the optimal and run it in all the 2 stroke motors plus my 4 stroke push mower. The mower gives on little puff of smoke when it first starts and that's it. It only smokes then because of being primed 5 shots. No plug fouling on anything....
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

back in the 60s when we ran hot fuel like nitro and benzene with methanol we use pure castor oil from the drug store for lube in our 2 strokes kart engines. it gummed up the rings when it cooled off so we had to take the engine apart and free up the rings every week but we never stuck a piston
ZEOHSIX
Pro
Pro

Post by ZEOHSIX »

Castor oil with just a touch of nitro! That's what model airplane guys run :D
wwmtlineman

Post by wwmtlineman »

Stay with synthetic premix 2 stroke oil and alcohol free gas and you wont have any problems. Mine started yesterday on the 2nd pull at -17 degrees
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

pamotorman wrote:back in the 60s when we ran hot fuel like nitro and benzene with methanol we use pure castor oil from the drug store for lube in our 2 strokes kart engines. it gummed up the rings when it cooled off so we had to take the engine apart and free up the rings every week but we never stuck a piston
I miss that unique smell.
Morgo

Post by Morgo »

Years ago when I was in moped age I always asked my father to bring can of gas from town (neares station was there).Happy sppeding 8)
Then in autumn I asked what % gas he did bring? "What %?" So I run all summer with straight gas without single problem :shock:
Sachs 50 cc,cast iron cylinder and of course ported ports and carb..
"when uncomptent order unwilling to do unnecsessary the probablity of failure is high"
turbobaldur
Pro
Pro

Post by turbobaldur »

Dodge Freak wrote:I recall ages ago in the early 80's I knew a punk who on spite wanted to ruin a 2 stroke engine on some moped he swiped from some kid he hated :?

He ran and ran that little bike with the cheapest gasoline sold which was the old leaded 89 octane, after the 3rd tank the engine still seem to be running fine even thou he added no oil to the gasoline. He was like what the, how come the little motor is still going. He then got an idea of trying the more expensive no lead 87 octane gas. Sure enough the little engine started slowing down. He ran it until the engine stop and then left it near were he stole it, so it would be found.

A few days later on, he seen the kid he hated on that moped riding around town :?: He figured there was no way the engine could had been fixed that quick and it must not have been ruined after all.

What ever happen to that kid i got no idea, he befriended me a year or so after that. I don't think he really liked anybody looking back :(
The track glue sprayer at our drag strip uses a 2 stroke engine to generate electricity to run the pump. Last year someone forgot to premix the fuel and it started stalling, having too much friction to stay running once it had warmed up. I figured the engine was junk and went to acquire another one to replace it, but before putting the new one into service I decided I'd drain the carb and put some mixed fuel in the old one and see if it would stay running. Poured a little bit of oil into the air inlet for good measure, started it up and ran it on the choke until it was about to stall from overfuelling and it's pumped hundreds of gallons of track glue since without missing a beat.