Moderator: Team

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Custom cam for Magnum 5.9 dodge?

Post by Walter R. Malik »

wyrmrider wrote:Thanks for the update Walter
My experience with Chrysler Factory was 20 years earlier
My experience with the Direct Connection Roller cams was with early 92-94 5.2 318 magnums which are much tighter than the 360s
I've never seen MOPAR use SAE but some aftermarket sources have converted
CRANE tends to use the OEM timing on their factory copy cams
back in MY day all Direct Connection and Factory Service manuals used a unique timing standard
If you had a cam blueprint you would find the point where the lash (clearance) ramp met the acceleration ramp
you would not the timing points
then you would add 4 degrees to both the open and closing points to get the "advertised" durations and timing points
pretty useless as these points were impossible to find in an installed motor
but they were consistent

"Max Lift Intake 109 ATDC Exhaust 119 BTDC (gives 114 LCA - I calculated this so double check) and per the note above it's installed 4 degrees advanced
496/.512 w/ 1.7 rockers" was from someone who claimed to have been using a degree wheel- but they could have been measuring a different cam
so we're back to 3:55 gears and a stock converter and not wanting to spend much money
The finished product may very well be at 114 separation but, in the advanced position. Once the lobe profiles were decided upon, 8 different cams were ground with all different separations and each tested at 4 different intake valve center-lines. The best power curves were with the 108 straight-up but, there may have been some later input for a different separation giving less overlap and better part throttle performance at lower RPM; (also, maybe presuming an entire exhaust system in place).

That final decision was beyond my pay grade ... #-o Thinking about it ... that may have been why the listed WOT power numbers were less.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
gregsdart

Post by gregsdart »

I found a cam I think will work for me. It is a Bullet hyd roller, 224 @ .050 both intake and exhaust, 106 LSA. Lift with 1.6 rockers is .480. It is probably going to have a fairly choppy idle, but will have an intake closing of 34 degrees ABDC when installed at 102. So, with my limited knowledge, I expect it to sound lumpy, but come on earlier than it would sound, somewhere around 1800 to 2,000 rpm. I plan to put thin head gaskets in the motor to bump compression a tad to over 9/1, which will help along with the right distributor curve to match the bigger cam. I am going to use a dual plane intake and 3310 Holley for induction. The cam is on the way, and I will have to check everything, but since the heads are coming off anyway, it won't be too tough to notch the pistons if I need to. Feed back on this is welcome.
1965 dodge Dart, 549 cu in wedge, 8.60 at 156 mph best. 2905 lbs, soon, 8.40s!
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

post up your pv for the record when you check them
is this a shelf or custom cam?
gregsdart

Post by gregsdart »

I am guessing custom, came from Bullet. It won't be installed until spring, but I will try to remember to post specs and clearances.
1965 dodge Dart, 549 cu in wedge, 8.60 at 156 mph best. 2905 lbs, soon, 8.40s!