jmarkaudio
Vendor

Re: single dominator vs tunnel ram

Post by jmarkaudio »

Bring back Pro Stock Truck....
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

I LOVE that idea Mark W.
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

NHRA won't bring back pro stock trucks because they are too busy killing off pro stock.
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

prairiehotrodder wrote:So last winter i bought a used Edelbrock super victor intake for my 540 and a new 1050 QFT domonator. I had alot of grief with the carb which is all detailed in another thread. Hopefully it works good this year. I also am having issues with the intake. The previous owner forgot to tell me that he had drilled out the distributor hole. Basically the hole is way to big and the gasket doesn't have enough sealing surface and always leaks oil. I will fix it somehow however i won't be selling it and tricking the next guy. Anyways all that aside i've been day dreaming about a tunnel ram setup. Is there hp to be gained over what i have? Which tunnel ram is best? Which carbs? I'm making in the 700 hp range currently i am guessing. Never been on a dyno. Engine is 10.0 CR with rec port AFR 335 heads.
Brian
Get another 1050QFT carb and a Victor Ram. It Will make more power everywhere with correct tune.

My last real life experience with T-ram made impressive results, at least to me and my buddies .

I removed a Super victor intake and a 750 Demon to install a Weiand T-ram and a pair of 4779-C Holleys 750s on a SBC 350" on my Buddy '69 Chevelle.

The Engine have Brodix 215 heads, Comp 292 MFT cam, 10.2 CR, eletronic ignition control, stepped 1 5/8" to 1 3/4" headers, 1.6 RRs, etc.

On the same track, this car picked up 0.31s and 4 mph on the 1/8 mile and the torque improved everywhere in the curve. Fuel economy improved 26% !!!

The strip wasn't prepped with VHT, and the car was traction limited. The sixty foot improved only 0.04s.

Yes, T-rams need big carbs to breathe well.
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

steve316 wrote:No data to back up wild statements is just a wild statement. There is no always in engine building. [-X

Horseshit.

Old tunnel Rams don't work? Another crock of shit.

If the TR doesn't make more power, it's the engine builders fault.

Virtually every new car has a tunnel ram.

I've never seen a main stream old school TR not work. Just more horseshit.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

A Tunnel Ram motor is great for a Street Strip truck. The truck has a high hood and higher drivers seating position making it practical to see around the carbs scoop with a T ram induction. The BIG T ram TORQUE curve helps offset the truck weight and truck body aerodynamic penalty. takes a lot of power to get a truck moving.
A tunnel ram is the most powerfull N/A induction system (HP per CID)(and ultimate race horsepower too) for a V8 engine.
Fast TRUCKS have 2x4 carbs.

A single 4bbl cannot compete.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

PrairieHotrodder: for your purpose and requirement for nice street driving overall flexability I would not use 2 Dominators on your Tunnel Ram. (Unless you want to keep a a pair around for Track Days).
For your purpose I'd go with a pair of big 4150 style carbs (EG: 750HP based) or the Modded big Edelbrocks . You can knock the air flow up on these too with a few tricks,
Yet they retain the driving flexability and ease of metering change and simplicity
you just don't get from a Holley type carb (carbs)

I don't know why Edelbrock does not support and develop these their carbs More
for Street strip Tunnel Ram end users like you. They are missing a market segment.
They would sell a LOT MORE tunnel Rams if they had the carbs to support that.
A "Victor Series" serious power Edelbrock carb. EG: Billet Carb top. Billet CNC machined Booster clusters w screw in swappable metering ETC ETC.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

I prepose you adapt 2x4 GM QJET carbs (carbs mounted back to back, inline) on a custom dual carb to Dominator flange carb adapter bolts on to your existing Dominator intake manifold.
The car idles and "cruises" on the now 4 outer Qjet primary barrels.
Hammer the throttle and those now 4 BIG center QJET Throttles kick in.
Easy Metering changes with now 4 swappable QJET metering rods/hangers and air door control. 8 venturi... 4 BIG SYMMETRICAL barrels right over the intake.
750x 2 cfm yets street driving flexability.

Adapt 2x4 (QJET) carburation to your existing race 4bbl manifold.
You can build 2 Qjets for a fraction of the price of a Dominator,
Including the price of the custom carb linkage for 2x4 back to back carb mounting.
(Could also be done with 2x4 800 AVS Edelbrock "Thunder series" mounted back to back and or inline on the carb adapter)
Same street strip driver and tuning advantages over dominator carb.
BIG ass air flow. BIG ass power. 8 SYMMETRICAL venturi orientation on the 4bbl manifold. Much better progressive throttle and metering control than a single 4 carb.

It would be no higher than a Tunnel ram.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

In Alberta you are at what.....3500 4000 Feet elevation....
For big naturally aspirated power in that thin(er) air you want big unrestricted induction air flow. You got to let the motor take in bigger gulps of air (because that air is less dense). You need BIG UNRESTRICTED carb cfm capacity YET the street driver friendly nature of Progressive carburation.
quickd100
Pro
Pro

Post by quickd100 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote:I prepose you adapt 2x4 GM QJET carbs (carbs mounted back to back, inline) on a custom dual carb to Dominator flange carb adapter bolts on to your existing Dominator intake manifold.
Easy Metering changes with now 4 swappable QJET metering rods/hangers and air door control. 8 venturi... 4 BIG SYMMETRICAL barrels right over the intake.

Including the price of the custom carb linkage for 2x4 back to back carb mounting.
(Could also be done with 2x4 800 AVS Edelbrock "Thunder series" mounted back to back and or inline on the carb adapter)
BIG ass air flow. BIG ass power. 8 SYMMETRICAL venturi orientation on the 4bbl manifold. Much better progressive throttle and metering control than a single 4 carb.

Pretty much did that with a set of Carter thermoquads. Great throttle response, great hp, and 10mpg on the street IF you keep your foot out of it. I removed the chokes and milled the air horns off so they flow something north of 900cfm each. They are also shorter and lighter than a set of holleys. AND CHEAP!!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/quickd100/9ff3c690.jpg[/img]
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Gentlemen:

Lets get back to point of calm intelligent discussion and non inflammatory comments on this thread.

First, lets realize that Prairiehottroder did not in my reading lay out or list the major specifics of his engine, its equipment or the vehicle and use in terms of use. Without this detail and information it is not possible in my opinion to make blanket statements that a tunnel ram with two carbs will be better for his usage that any single carb intake manifold. Even with the single parameter of this being a small block chevy engine we would not have enough input to make a absolute specific statement that a tunnel ram intake with two carbs is going to be better for his application for the best performance of his car or truck.

We all should know that the following information of cubic inches of his engine, the bore and stroke, the compression, the camshaft spec., the cylinder heads with their work and flow, his exhaust system, his vehicle type and mods, the vehicles weight, transmission and torque converter, axle ratio, tire size, overall driving types and possible racing formats will be needed to make an intelligent determination of what intake manifold and carburetor combination will give him his best overall result.

I can pretty much guaranty that making a set in stone comment that a tunnel ram with tow carbs will always be the best combination for Parairiehottroder based on all the input we don't have here in this post is a mistake!

We should all realize we all have our experiences and opinions as to what we individually feel is our positions and advise when someone here on Speedtalk asks for our input, but we all should try and season our comments and advise to others by gathering all the required input and then try and make really good usable advise or comments that is based on the either the examples of usage that matches these specification inputs or the testing that provides the maximized results. There seems to always be a lot of oranges to apples postings that really don't help solve the need but simply confuse and sometimes misdirect others and might not be the best advise or answers.

To those who come on to Speedtalk and request this information in posts please always try to start from a position of "this is pretty much exactly what I have now and this is where I would like to end up" then those here who wish to comment and help with good advise and solutions can make a more helpful comments and advise.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Prairiehotrodder. Im going to put this Ur19 and dual 1050 dommies on two engines this spring. One is a 358 cube iron headed cleveland drag car and the other is a 436 cleveland chi headed 4v motor. I like you couldnt get much of a straight answer.I'll let you know if there was gains. Like i say if the prostock guys had gains on 340 cubes im sure bigger engines even more gains.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

PrairieHotrodder has in previous posts about his engine car and carb porblems laid out
his combo in DETAIL. He will make more power and it will also drive much better
with a tunnel ram and 2 carbs. Ya I can make that statement.
Ya the 500hp sbc would too. ya I can make that statement.
Tunnel rams are not new. But you are. New to tunnel rams and what makes power.
There are different tunnel rams designed to make power at different levels, rpms
and power levels. This engine is right in the sweet spot where the existing cast BBC tunnel rams WILL MAKE MORE POWER over the single 4 bbl.
2 big streetable carbs will be more drivable. I do not recomend 2 dominators for the street on this one. The dyno will prove my statements.
The grin on his face will prove it to him.

A "ProStock" engine will need a different tunnel ram than this 540 cid street strip motor. with a different plenum design and size, runner size length and taper.
And a different cam to boot.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

Don't worry F-bird, I'm sold on the idea. It will likely happen eventually. Since my car ran 9.90 now i'm putting in a bunch more bars and the car will get heavier. Gotta make some more power to KEEP it in the nines! The biggest obstacle to the whole deal isn't the cost, i can handle that over time. Its the thought of cutting a hole in my hood.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

quickd100 wrote:
F-BIRD'88 wrote:I prepose you adapt 2x4 GM QJET carbs (carbs mounted back to back, inline) on a custom dual carb to Dominator flange carb adapter bolts on to your existing Dominator intake manifold.

Pretty much did that with a set of Carter thermoquads. Great throttle response, great hp, and 10mpg on the street IF you keep your foot out of it. I removed the chokes and milled the air horns off so they flow something north of 900cfm each. They are also shorter and lighter than a set of holleys. AND CHEAP!!
I agree on this. The thermoquad would be very good on this too.