2 heads better than 1 - power porting E7TE iron.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jcisworthy
HotPass
HotPass

Re: 2 heads better than 1 - power porting E7TE iron.

Post by jcisworthy »

David,
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to get in the competition. Also, thank you for the time it took you to come up with your analysis, I really value and appreciate your feedback.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

jcisworthy wrote:David,
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to get in the competition. Also, thank you for the time it took you to come up with your analysis, I really value and appreciate your feedback.
John,
you are more than welcome.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

I have asked this before and missplaced the info. Can anyone tell me the most cost effective spring for the modded E7TE head test for the heads Charlie and I collabarated on. Needs to go about 6200 with good control and accomadate 0.52 lift.

thanks
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

David Vizard wrote:I have asked this before and missplaced the info. Can anyone tell me the most cost effective spring for the modded E7TE head test for the heads Charlie and I collabarated on. Needs to go about 6200 with good control and accomadate 0.52 lift.

thanks
DV
Hydraulic roller cam?
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Carnut1 wrote:
David Vizard wrote:I have asked this before and missplaced the info. Can anyone tell me the most cost effective spring for the modded E7TE head test for the heads Charlie and I collabarated on. Needs to go about 6200 with good control and accomadate 0.52 lift.

thanks
DV
Hydraulic roller cam?
Sorry Charlie - should have said. Answer - yes.
DV
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

thanks
DV
What is the installed height?
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

http://www.jegs.com/i/COMP-Cams/249/986-16/10002/-1 These are about as soft as I would try.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
powerhouse

Post by powerhouse »

Trick flow makes a decent relatively inexpensive kit for the E7 heads. Includes springs, retainers,keepers,seals and shims.
Powerhouse Performance Machine
Andrew Jeffery
508-328-9884
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

Used behive springs on mine with titanium retainers works well with a mild hyd roller set up.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

turbo2256b wrote:Used behive springs on mine with titanium retainers works well with a mild hyd roller set up.
Yes Turbo - good combo. Have used the similar on some 302's a few years back. Made the Ti retainers out of some old cup car ones.

The Comp 26918 springs and the Ti retainer combo with a solid, not too aggresive road race spec roller cam, was good to over 8000 rpm.

DV
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

David Vizard wrote:
turbo2256b wrote:Used behive springs on mine with titanium retainers works well with a mild hyd roller set up.
Yes Turbo - good combo. Have used the similar on some 302's a few years back. Made the Ti retainers out of some old cup car ones.

The Comp 26918 springs and the Ti retainer combo with a solid, not too aggresive road race spec roller cam, was good to over 8000 rpm.

DV
Was using Crane behive springs for E7 heads with their stock length vales. since the heads were set up with the taller 1.9/1.6 had to pitch their retainers. A stroke of luck at a auto shop near by found a Moroso Ti retainer that fit well after removing sharp edges of the spring ends. Was running dual springs steel retainers only could hit about 6400 give or take and would float the valves. After installing the behives started at 6400 shift first to second went up in 200 rpm shift points finally ended at 7200 made the shift and blew pieces of gears out the back cover of the rear end. In front of the local Ford dealer no less. The engine was still pulling hard that was 3 or 4 years ago just installed a new rear I assembled just finished the break in, soon will see what breaks next.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

turbo2256b wrote:
David Vizard wrote:

DV
Was using Crane behive springs for E7 heads with their stock length vales. since the heads were set up with the taller 1.9/1.6 had to pitch their retainers. A stroke of luck at a auto shop near by found a Moroso Ti retainer that fit well after removing sharp edges of the spring ends. Was running dual springs steel retainers only could hit about 6400 give or take and would float the valves. After installing the behives started at 6400 shift first to second went up in 200 rpm shift points finally ended at 7200 made the shift and blew pieces of gears out the back cover of the rear end. In front of the local Ford dealer no less. The engine was still pulling hard that was 3 or 4 years ago just installed a new rear I assembled just finished the break in, soon will see what breaks next.
Ahhh -the fun and adventures of motorsport. Thanks for the info turbo - it gives me just a little more insight as to what these springs can do.
DV
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

David Vizard wrote:
Ahhh -the fun and adventures of motorsport. Thanks for the info turbo - it gives me just a little more insight as to what these springs can do.
DV
David ... you need to give ALL the information as O.E.M. production E7 heads have a different installed height on the intake side vs. the exhaust side and the stock valve lock groove height is different on the intake and exhaust sides.
Ford Racing offers an inexpensive moly retainer kit, M-6514-B50, with 8 retainers of one depth and 8 retainers of another depth so the same installed height on the intake side and exhaust side is achieved, (about 1.800").
This is not usually an issue when aftermarket valves are used.

There are bunches of valve springs to fit that scenario on that head ... we use Lunati #73815.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

Walter R. Malik wrote:
David Vizard wrote:
DV
David ... you need to give ALL the information as O.E.M. production E7 heads have a different installed height on the intake side vs. the exhaust side and the stock valve lock groove height is different on the intake and exhaust sides.
Ford Racing offers an inexpensive moly retainer kit, M-6514-B50, with 8 retainers of one depth and 8 retainers of another depth so the same installed height on the intake side and exhaust side is achieved, (about 1.800").

There are bunches of valve springs to fit that scenario on that head ... we use Lunati #73815.
That can depend on valves are used. ert%r -- my cats comment. installed height ended up around 1.822 I and E in my case
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Walter R. Malik wrote:
David Vizard wrote:
DV

Walter,

Even with 3 decades of SBF expeience under my belt I did not realize this. It is definitly going into the book. I guess as such it should be mentioned in both the head and valve train chapter.

Thanks,

DV