2 heads better than 1 - power porting E7TE iron.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Re: 2 heads better than 1 - power porting E7TE iron.

Post by Carnut1 »

Carnut1 wrote:
1211161753.jpg
1.94/1.6 valve combo. Ported E7TE heads. This pair were not sonic checked and could probably go more with careful work. E7TE's ported like this make a very hot street 306. Ask me how I know. Yes, other heads will out flow them but at a loss of street torque due to lower velocity. Smaller cube motors really take a torque hit if the port velocity dips too low. Thanks, Charlie
I should have also added that these have excellent swirl for a sbf head. That makes it come up on cam quicker and increases low end torque. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Kile Thompson

Post by Kile Thompson »

gnash wrote:Some information on porting E7TE
http://www.diyporting.com/E7p3.html
Following this guide I have to say there is nothing like the feeling you get when you make a lot of horse power and torque with your own hands and a couple of weekends.
After doing the porting my Mustang felt no different cruising around town, but once the tach hits 3K, hold-on!
I had to buy a lot of rear suspension upgrades to keep the rear wheels under control.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Kile Thompson wrote:
gnash wrote:Some information on porting E7TE
http://www.diyporting.com/E7p3.html
Following this guide I have to say there is nothing like the feeling you get when you make a lot of horse power and torque with your own hands and a couple of weekends.
After doing the porting my Mustang felt no different cruising around town, but once the tach hits 3K, hold-on!
I had to buy a lot of rear suspension upgrades to keep the rear wheels under control.
So true! And that is just what you could expect from these if done right! Feels totally stock down low then unwind like a coiled spring. In fact one had an x303 cam in it and after porting and anti reversion work people swore it was a stock cam and no way was it an x cam.Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
Kile Thompson

Post by Kile Thompson »

So true! And that is just what you could expect from these if done right! Feels totally stock down low then unwind like a coiled spring. In fact one had an x303 cam in it and after porting and anti reversion work people swore it was a stock cam and no way was it an x cam.Thanks, Charlie
Yeah, I forgot to mention, I left the rest of the engine bone stock. A visual sleeper.
The real trick setup for all stock engine is to bolt the ported E7s on an '86 roller block. The '86 had flat top pistons that pump up the compression.
But the pistons do need to be notched.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

86 was the first year for fuel injection in the mustang, not only were the pistons totally flat they were also forged. I had one, wish I wouldn't have traded it.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Kile Thompson wrote:
Yeah, I forgot to mention, I left the rest of the engine bone stock. A visual sleeper.
The real trick setup for all stock engine is to bolt the ported E7s on an '86 roller block. The '86 had flat top pistons that pump up the compression.
But the pistons do need to be notched.
Pistons do need notching. If you ran a stock fuel injection manifold you left much on the table. Stock lower flows about 28% different on dogleg ports. I did a thread a while back before I had my bench calibration down. "Ported E7TE heads and manifold" lots of work to equalize port flow. Welding and epoxy, cool sleeper stuff. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
nhrastocker
Expert
Expert

Post by nhrastocker »

These are a set of E7TE iron cylinder heads ported for a NHRA Super Stock engine application.
Tubes were added and epoxied to the pushrod holes.

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

nhrastocker wrote:These are a set of E7TE iron cylinder heads ported for a NHRA Super Stock engine application.
Tubes were added and epoxied to the pushrod holes.

Can you add any specs?
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

1212161929.jpg
Since DV posted this with airspeeds I was wondering how much different my airspeed was. Measured at .3", .4", .5", .6" these ports were not developed with Pitot measuring. Thanks, Charlie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
631-816-4911
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Calypso wrote:
Sorry for the off topic question... Which series/class are they running? Have 3 buddies running 2 historic mustangs and one Falcon locally. One of the guys even has a European championship from couple of years back and later sold his winning Falcon to the states. Sounds like they might be underpowered in the 289 cars (one of them is boss302), if they go for Euro tour...
I just checked with someone who was a team member to get the details . All I know for sure at the moment is that it was appendix J and the racing was in Holland.
Will let you know more when I do.
DBV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Charlie posted:- Since DV posted this with airspeeds I was wondering how much different my airspeed was. Measured at .3", .4", .5", .6" these ports were not developed with Pitot measuring. Thanks, Charlie

Charlie, you will be able to run the numbers when you get a copy of my cylinder head porters program that I promised you guys. Unfortunatly I found an issue with the way I had laid it out that made going from one test to another far more time consuming than it should have been Result - I am still working on it to simplify it whilst still delivering just the info the porter needs. Should be all done by Christmas.

On quick question - do you think I should 'leak' the info on the 289 heads you are doing for me/and the book???
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

I think I should do a complete thread on the developement of those heads. I went out of my comfort zone on my ported AFR 220 heads and did get some very good input from some excellent cylinder head guys. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Charlie that port is beggin for the short turn to be layed back and the roof to be raised on that high air speed side!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

mag2555 wrote:Charlie that port is beggin for the short turn to be layed back and the roof to be raised on that high air speed side!
With airspeed that high across the ssr I totally agree. I need to sonic every ssr before I touch them, I know they are pretty thin. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

cjperformance wrote:Guess the "formula" in a book for a streetable engine build based on the 302/5.0L really depends who the build is aimed at. If aimed at the guys with some porting knowledge/experience or acess to machining equipment then for sure build a stroker and port the iron heads BUT if aimed at the guys who have a basic handle on the straight forward engine assembly side only and maybe doing the build with limited tooling or experience with or just dont want the effort of porting or setting up stroker stuff then base i on Ford Racing alloys or Dart irons etc, keep it stock stroke, make it simple available bolt up gear and get into the checks etc to ensure everything is right.
Then maybe digress a little and apply the same formula to a 351/5.8L aswell for a bigger cube version that is still simple.

Craig,
I like what you wrote here as this is about my target though I think it extends both up and down the complexity/budget range from what you are probably envisaging.
thanks for the input.
DV