2 heads better than 1 - power porting E7TE iron.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

turbo2256b
Pro
Pro
Re: 2 heads better than 1 - power porting E7TE iron.

Post by turbo2256b »

David Vizard sent you a PM
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

0402171005a.jpg
First D.V. intake port copied. Without the chamber work is 8 cfm below D.V.'s port on my bench. My bench seems to read cfm shy on the top end but the same as D.V.'s at the low end. We are using different benches, bore adapters, clay radiuses, and different valves and valve openers. My bench also has the swirl meter all of these make a difference. I will work hard at not making these sprinklers. Thanks, Charlie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

Port looks really good...how is the short turn versus stock?
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Radical,
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

0402171935.jpg
D.V. copied chamber. Very interesting mods. I can see the logic behind them. Thanks, Charlie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

0406172005.jpg
Someone recently asked about min thickness. That is about as far as I like to push it. By final shaping it may be as low as .075". That is just into water no exhaust port next to it. D.V. E7TE copied ports. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

0405171901.jpg
D.V. serdi v.j. 2.0" diameter. Notice how much metal the serdi removed, I was under the impression that E7TE heads were thin castings but I was wrong. The intake bowls are quite thick. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

0406172007.jpg
Partially finished bowl. Lots of metal removal needed and close sonic checking.
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

0408171736.jpg
Serious serdi exhaust cut. Ssr before view.
631-816-4911
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Over the years I have had a lot of customers who wish to only install the 1.900" intake and 1.540" exhaust valve and simply do the appropriate valve bowl porting on the E7TE heads.
It would be great to know just how much improvement this got them with their "1 up" RV type camshaft, as they just wouldn't go for complete porting.

I have never had one of these warmed over street engines on the dyno to see that kind of Wide Open Throttle comparison.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

While my experience is not as extensive as you guys, I have been a Ford guy most of my life and worked on several of the most popular SBF castings. Still interested in doing an angle mill on a set of the E6SE "heart chamber" heads Walter has mentioned using many times for dirt track motors. Unfortunately my hands just can't take the abuse of heavily ported iron for many more years so I doubt I'll ever go there with all the nicer new/used aluminum stuff floating around these days.

As I've mentioned over on your other threads Charlie, is that the short side thickness is THE largest determining factor for what the "best valve size" is. I've seen MANY guys stuff 2.02" valves in these heads and the final port shape(specifically the SSR) suffers heavily compared to a 1.90" valve. IMHO, with today's cam and valvespring/valvetrain technology there is absolutely no reason to push beyond about a 1.94" valve size on most any of Ford's little 302 heads. Better to have short turns that can handle bigger duration/higher lift cams than the other way around. Airflow quantity is great is you're already severely restricted, but flow quality and wider power curves seem to rule with most applications that I see and work on.

Plus, how much peak airflow does a cylinder head need to meet the demand for most sub-7000 rpm SBF street motors? A heavily well ported E7 casting with 1.90" valves cannot supply that demand? More peak airflow is ALWAYS better on a running engine?

BTW, I used to "cheat airflow" by lopping down guides too. Always.. and I mean ALWAYS resulted in increased valve guide wear/increased oiling of the ports. And no matter the positive seals installed it could never be completely controlled or stopped. Sometimes that extra bit of flow/power becomes useless if it doesn't last as long and the chambers start dirtying up.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

In the 90's I would mill out the whole guide and use k-line guides and never had an issue. K-lines are tough and just do not wear if the clearances are set correctly. David decided to do the nearly impossible to copy milled down, slightly curved and biased guide boss. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Walter R. Malik wrote:Over the years I have had a lot of customers who wish to only install the 1.900" intake and 1.540" exhaust valve and simply do the appropriate valve bowl porting on the E7TE heads.
It would be great to know just how much improvement this got them with their "1 up" RV type camshaft, as they just wouldn't go for complete porting.

I have never had one of these warmed over street engines on the dyno to see that kind of Wide Open Throttle comparison.
Walter, I had one D.V. intake bowl copied but did not get to complete the pinch, ssr, port and chamber. Basically the left half of the page is my first D.V. copied port and chamber with bench #s , subtracted leakage bench #s and swirl. The D.V. valve job, oversized valve and specific angles with bowl work are a huge step above stock but still 20 cfm below full dressed port and chamber. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Carnut1 wrote:
Walter R. Malik wrote:Over the years I have had a lot of customers who wish to only install the 1.900" intake and 1.540" exhaust valve and simply do the appropriate valve bowl porting on the E7TE heads.

Walter, I had one D.V. intake bowl copied but did not get to complete the pinch, ssr, port and chamber. Basically the left half of the page is my first D.V. copied port and chamber with bench #s , subtracted leakage bench #s and swirl. The D.V. valve job, oversized valve and specific angles with bowl work are a huge step above stock but still 20 cfm below full dressed port and chamber. Thanks, Charlie
I was interested in knowing the amount of torque or horsepower improvement of simply increasing valve size with minimal port work over completely as produced stock heads ... airflow improvements are really not the question I was looking to get answered.
Thanks anyway ...
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Walter R. Malik wrote:
Carnut1 wrote:

I was interested in the amount of torque or horsepower improvement of simply increasing valve size with minimal port work over completely as produced stock heads ... airflow improvements are really not the question I was looking to get answered.
Thanks anyway ...
I know Walter, I figured I would show what I can. D.V. will be doing the dyno work. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911