Mopar back in Cup?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

GT350_R

Re: Mopar back in Cup?

Post by GT350_R »

There are some surprising opinions here, the ones that surprise me the most are those that blame the old white guys for them not liking areas of Motorsports. And the broad statement that people with money are miserable. I've also never been to a car show and seen anyone turned away; I'd have to guess that there were rules for who could register and organizers are allow rules.

Likely if someone is not interested in a specific form of Motorsports it's because their parent(s) were not interested and their friends are not interested. If someone wants to get involved in something they like, then do it, but to say some person or group does not show me the love I think they should and therefore it's all their fault: Well grow the F--- Up! I'm 59, I've been on the outside of tons of things I liked, but if it was important to me then I did what was needed to participate. But to have a negative experience and sulk forever, well you're a slave to your childish emotions.

I'm not a big NASCAR fan, but I do watch when they run the road course events. There is plenty of door to door, both at the road course and the high banks. The cars have evolved to what they have because of need and technology and the owners perception of what the public likes. Yes they could be configured to be different but just being different does not mean better nor safer, some people would like different and some would complain. Fact is, there is tons of money in the sport, they seem to be doing fine to me. Again, if you like or don't like NASCAR it's likely due to your parents and friends and what they do and don't like.

I retired at 57 with 36 years in IT, I worked my ass off starting at the very bottom and nobody gave me a damn thing. I lived below my means all my earning life and saved and invested and I now have the means for enjoying retirement with all the toys I have time for. I have money and I am very happy. If you want to like what I like, and participate in what I participate in, then do it. But realize this, when a gray hair walks over to the Datsun and all the young people don't respond to any of his comments, it cuts both ways. Just realize, if you give up its you that gave up and stop blaming me if you don't care enough to try harder. If it's important enough to me, I will get the Datsun kids to speak to me and over time they might even like me. Try harder, and if you want to balme someone for your problems, that person is the one looking back from the mirror. TRY HARDER.
Darrell George
Team AMF Racing - #66
Racing is life, everything else is just waiting.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

GT350_R wrote:There are some surprising opinions here, the ones that surprise me the most are those that blame the old white guys for them not liking areas of Motorsports. And the broad statement that people with money are miserable. I've also never been to a car show and seen anyone turned away; I'd have to guess that there were rules for who could register and organizers are allow rules.

Likely if someone is not interested in a specific form of Motorsports it's because their parent(s) were not interested and their friends are not interested. If someone wants to get involved in something they like, then do it, but to say some person or group does not show me the love I think they should and therefore it's all their fault: Well grow the F--- Up! I'm 59, I've been on the outside of tons of things I liked, but if it was important to me then I did what was needed to participate. But to have a negative experience and sulk forever, well you're a slave to your childish emotions.

I'm not a big NASCAR fan, but I do watch when they run the road course events. There is plenty of door to door, both at the road course and the high banks. The cars have evolved to what they have because of need and technology and the owners perception of what the public likes. Yes they could be configured to be different but just being different does not mean better nor safer, some people would like different and some would complain. Fact is, there is tons of money in the sport, they seem to be doing fine to me. Again, if you like or don't like NASCAR it's likely due to your parents and friends and what they do and don't like.

I retired at 57 with 36 years in IT, I worked my ass off starting at the very bottom and nobody gave me a damn thing. I lived below my means all my earning life and saved and invested and I now have the means for enjoying retirement with all the toys I have time for. I have money and I am very happy. If you want to like what I like, and participate in what I participate in, then do it. But realize this, when a gray hair walks over to the Datsun and all the young people don't respond to any of his comments, it cuts both ways. Just realize, if you give up its you that gave up and stop blaming me if you don't care enough to try harder. If it's important enough to me, I will get the Datsun kids to speak to me and over time they might even like me. Try harder, and if you want to balme someone for your problems, that person is the one looking back from the mirror. TRY HARDER.

Great post. Should be a sticky, and read at every grade school, high school and college graduation.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

I get the impression, maybe wrong, that some of you think being involved in motorsports or some sort of automotive building is a right of passage into being a better person....If you think that, in my opinion, you are quite mistaken........
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

rfoll wrote:I thought it was interesting that Dodge won the championship in their last year. The cars did indeed look so much alike that you have to pay attention to tell what is what. I look for color and the number on the door. I have been a cup fan for about 25 years now, and I could care less which manufacturer wins. It is all about the racing, and the intensity never lets up. There are never any foregone conclusions about who will win, regardless of which driver/car/team is the class of the field on that day. Hitchcock couldn't script it any better. At the local drag strip, the car combos tend to be unique enough to get my attention, and despite the costs of some of these new rockets, I am amazed to see many showroom new cars there. There were 5 Hellcat Dodges on one night. Usually at least one, and often 3 or 4 Nissan GTRs. Then there are a myriad of Camaros, Mustangs, (my favorite prey), Corvettes, and miscellaneous pumped up imports. There were comments about the economy and how many people were in the stands, and in this neck of the woods it was very true. On Saturday night at the drag strip, instead of 300 cars in the staging lanes, there were more like 30. At the local dirt track The stands went from being full, to a bare scattering of spectators, and the cars that were in the D main were relegated to the tail end of the A to fill the field. I am surprised these programs survived, but things have picked up.
I believe that was before NASCAR limited the bore size and dodge used a bigger bore size to take advantage of better breathing and RPMs with a shorter stroke
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

Truckedup wrote:I get the impression, maybe wrong, that some of you think being involved in motorsports or some sort of automotive building is a right of passage into being a better person....If you think that, in my opinion, you are quite mistaken........
I think if you can get your kids into motorsports the better chance they can say on the straight and narrow because they will not have a lot of spare time on their hands. idle hands is the devil playground. I kept my son busy during his high school years racing 4 hour motorcycle hare scrambles along with me. although he raced a difference class than me I did win first place trophy and he never did. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Not to beat a dead horse here but I will say my peace again. Racing should be fun, exciting, affordable for both participant and race fan, inclusive to all and should be something both Old Gray farts, young whipper snappers and everyone in between can get involved in and enjoy. Despite today's life styles, distractions, television, media and the complexities of professional racing it should remain a sport that can be rewarding to all who participate!

LIFE IS A RACE, KEEP THE PEDAL TO THE METAL! :D
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

pamotorman wrote:
Truckedup wrote:I get the impression, maybe wrong, that some of you think being involved in motorsports or some sort of automotive building is a right of passage into being a better person....If you think that, in my opinion, you are quite mistaken........
I think if you can get your kids into motorsports the better chance they can say on the straight and narrow because they will not have a lot of spare time on their hands. idle hands is the devil playground. I kept my son busy during his high school years racing 4 hour motorcycle hare scrambles along with me. although he raced a difference class than me I did win first place trophy and he never did. :D
I understand what you are saying...but... Sports will do the same thing as will other extracurricular activities including volunteering at a nursing home... A side problem with kids and motorsports is the parents do not supervise adequately and the kids become a neighborhood nuisance on their bikes or quads.
However, keep this in mind....A long time ago a girl asked me to make a commitment..." Do you have any interest in anything other than your greasy motorcycles?" I hesitated and lost the girl :D I still have greasy bikes...and a woman who appreciates mechanical things...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

Truckedup wrote:
pamotorman wrote:
I understand what you are saying...but... Sports will do the same thing as will other extracurricular activities including volunteering at a nursing home... A side problem with kids and motorsports is the parents do not supervise adequately and the kids become a neighborhood nuisance on their bikes or quads.
However, keep this in mind....A long time ago a girl asked me to make a commitment..." Do you have any interest in anything other than your greasy motorcycles?" I hesitated and lost the girl :D I still have greasy bikes...and a woman who appreciates mechanical things...
my first date with the mrs I took her to a dirt track race and had her buy the tickets because she got a student discount as she was still in high school. :D she raced our corvettes at the drags and ran autocrosses after we got married so she got into motorsports.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Truckedup wrote:
pamotorman wrote:
Unlike baseball, soccer or tennis, if you can get your kid into racing you can rest easy knowing he'll never have the money to buy drugs.
:wink:
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^FACT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^right there^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Ron E wrote:
Unlike baseball, soccer or tennis, if you can get your kid into racing you can rest easy knowing he'll never have the money to buy drugs.
:wink:
Correction, if you get your kid into motorsports YOU won't have money to buy drugs :D
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

I think history has shown, and some local knowledge of 'street racers', is some have to sell drugs and commit theft to pay for motor sports. Lots of crooks out there in the racing world, lots of bad money, lots of people in way more debt than they should too.
-Bob
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

hoffman900 wrote:I think history has shown, and some local knowledge of 'street racers', is some have to sell drugs and commit theft to pay for motor sports. L
ots of crooks out there in the racing world, lots of bad money, lots of people in way more debt than they should too.
there were some big time dope dealers in NASCAR back in the day. I know people who lost their business over racing but it is better than snorting the money up your nose.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

pamotorman wrote:
hoffman900 wrote:I think history has shown, and some local knowledge of 'street racers', is some have to sell drugs and commit theft to pay for motor sports. L
ots of crooks out there in the racing world, lots of bad money, lots of people in way more debt than they should too.
there were some big time dope dealers in NASCAR back in the day. I know people who lost their business over racing but it is better than snorting the money up your nose.
Neither is good! :lol:

Both give you a "high". It's one in the same.
-Bob
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Schurkey wrote:Can anyone provide a "stock" part number for...anything...on a NAPCAR-style "stock car"?

NASCAR was a middle-class spectator sport; and for that matter it used to be a middle-class participant sport. The middle class has been under attack for sixty+ years. Took twenty or thirty for anyone to even notice; but it's been pretty unmistakable since the '70s.
When we ran Winston west and cup the rear deck lid had to be a factory piece with a part number.

Ahhhhhh those were the days =D>
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors