General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Re: China big block chevy

Post by Zmechanic »

Adger Smith wrote:Hey guys,
I wasn't trying to imply anything about the E-bay Blueprint blocks. I just saw them and didn't have time to research them. I was just asking our brain trust about them.
In the last year I've had a couple of the "China" small blocks come through that customers supplied. They seemed to machine OK when I did bore, hone, deck, align hone, and lifter bore fit. I did put ARP main bolts in them both. I did a hardness test on one and compared it to a new Bowtie I have in stock. I can't remember what scale it was but, It seemed as hard or just a little harder. (depending on where I checked) They both went into circle track applications and as of now I have had no feedback on them. They seemed about equal to the SHP's I have worked. I'm not sure what China source these two came from. The customers both got tight lipped when I voiced my initial displeasure on buying China. Could be why I have had no feedback.
Personally I am curious about them too. I haven't found much opinion on them. And as the for the China aspect, I was trying to confirm while trying not to be condescending. You have way more experience/background than me, so I thought maybe you knew something that wasn't being said. Like when companies call it "Made in USA", but it's really an inferior offshore casting that gets final work done here or something.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Casper393W wrote:First off Unions have never ran jobs out of this Country! It is the Political machine in Washington that has established trade deals to allow major corporations to leave with no penalty... KILLING THE MIDDLE CLASS...You blame the UNIONS but how can that be when Unions only represent less than 10% of the US Population? You can spit it out anytime when you have that answer.... It has been proven that when Union membership was high in the US we had a strong middle class NOW look at us..

I Build Freightliner medium duty trucks here in NC. YES we are proud to be UNION, UAW local 5285 we have 95% Union membership in a Right to Work state...WHY Because it is our Labor contract that insures us Job security to keep our jobs in the US! In fact in 2009 they tried to break the agreement and idle our plant and guess what... An Arbitrators decision made the Company return the work back to the US and pay 35 Million in lost wages and benefits.

Andy
If you have never owned your own business then you probably will not understand, when anyone forces a company to operate above it's budget that company will leave the state or the country, lucky for me I live in Texas and we have many companies moving here from other states because they are fed up.
If your willing to do some home work in relation to unions and lost manufacturing as in Detroit I encourage you to do so... Here is something to think about... And this is just one of the many examples you find.
In addition to Freightliner and Volvo, the UAW has overseen the concessionary deals at Mack, Navistar International and Peterbilt truck. In February 2015, despite large profit and sales gains, the UAW pushed a new four-year deal past 1,500 Navistar (formerly International Harvester) workers at a truck assembly plant in Springfield, Ohio; an engine plant in Melrose Park, Illinois; and parts distribution centers in Atlanta, Dallas and York, Pennsylvania.

The deal, which included “lean manufacturing rule changes,” according to industry analysts, was praised by Norwood Jewell, UAW vice president in charge of the Heavy Truck Department, as “an example of how working men and women and companies can work together so that everyone wins.”

UAW International President Dennis Williams has sat on Navistar’s corporate board of directors since 2006. The company pays him $120,000 a year—in addition to his more than $200,000 salary and disbursements from the UAW—to impose its dictates.

“We benefited from the fact that Dennis Williams is on our board of directors,” Navistar CEO Troy Clarke said after the ratification of the pro-company deal. “He was very supportive of us taking the time needed to negotiate the right agreement…”

Last June, with the sanction of the UAW, Navistar shut its Indianapolis, Indiana foundry and truck engine manufacturing facility, laying off the final 20 workers at the complex, which once employed 2,000 UAW members.

As the recent experience of the 140,000 Fiat Chrysler, General Motors and Ford workers demonstrates, any fight by truck workers will require a rebellion against the UAW, which is tool of corporate management and the government that masquerades as a “union.” Workers should build new forms of self-representation and struggle, including factory committees democratically elected and controlled by the rank-and-file, to oppose layoffs and plant closings and begin the fight for the unification of the working class against the profit system.
https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2016/0 ... i-j06.html
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

I have owned a business for 4 years...But I bet you have never worked under a Union...Unions are the final frontier for the middle class...do your homework and you will find the facts to support that statement!

You feel your way... and I feel my way, but unless you have worked under a Union, you don't really know what you are talking about...

I still have a traditional pension plan, great health care, a living wage...so I will take my Union..

Andy
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Casper393W wrote:I have owned a business for 4 years...But I bet you have never worked under a Union...Unions are the final frontier for the middle class...do your homework and you will find the facts to support that statement!

You feel your way... and I feel my way, but unless you have worked under a Union, you don't really know what you are talking about...

I still have a traditional pension plan, great health care, a living wage...so I will take my Union..

Andy
I have quite a few family members that are union from employees to the upper workings so I am well aware...
I bought the company I own in 1999, it was our family business started in 1962 so I am very well aware of what regulations have done to business over generations not just a few years.
I have all that as well I just don't have to pay dues or be beholding to someone else.
Keep in mind that the GM bond holders had legal binding contracts and got screwed for .40 on the dollar, they thought they had it made with the union also.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

He, He!!

And finally a thread I didn't kill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pamotorman wrote:
vwchuck wrote:How can't you blame unions for loss of jobs? They are forced to vote democrat. That in itself will guarantee they won't have a job someday. The union is it's own worst enemy.
just ask the union w va. and pa. coal miners.
No, I think it is because our Traitorous GOV, namely that the, "football f** mulatto monkey", along with the EPA that can ONLY be stopped ruining us by, "CHANGING/REVISING/RESCINDING", the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990 are working together to kill, "KING COAL", and I have to ask WHY???

What is to be gained by destroying the USA's middle class UNLESS it is to make us work for 3rd world WAGES so that the NWO Group can become even filthy richer!!

Now BTTT!

Will these new, wherever they are cast at, blocks mount stock Gen IV BBC heads without head gasket problems from leaking block coolant passages??

pdq67
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

My point being...Large Corporations found out that they good get around paying a living wage to people by investing money into Washington and creating "Free trade agreements" when this took place it was both Republicans and Democrats who made the deal with the devil.... Once good paying jobs started to leave company's who were left here in the US started "Lean Manufacturing" to try and compete with their competition. You go to any major country outside the US.... You will find hardly any US made Autos because the trade deals are corrupt! In Korea we only sell 12 cars a year there! We as a people must demand more from our Government! Both sides of the aisle must get their head out of their reareands and FOR ONCE DO WHAT IS RIGHT for the people!

I'm proud of my UNION! Why because it is made up of Men and Women who think its not too much to have a Good Paying Job, Benefits, and self respect on the shop floor! Union workers aren't a bunch of goons, like the media try to portray us..... Just Average Joe's who still believe in the American Dream!

I will be the first person to tell you! If a company treats their employees like they should...you don't need a union.... But when you make say $25 per hr and wants to treat you like a dog take benefits away from you
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

I will say I'm sorry about getting off topic... My apologies

Andy
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Casper393W wrote:I will say I'm sorry about getting off topic... My apologies

Andy
Same here.
Please Note!
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

No, not at all!

We should require that OUR Gov. to write Trade Agreements using, "RECIPROCITY", (look the word up!!), as the main trade criteria!!

In other words, let our trading partners set the rules AND then flat F** tell them we are writing the exact same trade agreement they wrote and DON'T back down OR vary one inch! There won't be any of this 12 cars/year sold shit if we do this!!

And bttt!

Will the Mark IV heads fit these new blocks without leaking?

pdq67
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Sorry, I did not mean to start a shitstorm with my response about "Made in the USA" or about GM's factory relocations.

Back to the information and questions raised about the block.

Obviously Generac does not use these blocks without an oil pan. I would think it would be very possible for someone to call Generac's parts department and order their pan, pan fitment issue no longer an issue.

This block is Gen 6. So any correct gen 6 head gasket set will fit properly.

Lastly, this block is not sold or available for use outside of the standby generator business or usage so discussing it for anyone's performance usage is a mute point.

I'm done, thanks :D
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Newold1 wrote:Obviously Generac does not use these blocks without an oil pan. I would think it would be very possible for someone to call Generac's parts department and order their pan, pan fitment issue no longer an issue.
The pan has to fit the chassis as well as the engine.
Newold1 wrote:this block is not sold or available for use outside of the standby generator business or usage so discussing it for anyone's performance usage is a mute point.
Moot, not mute.

No telling when one might show up advantageously priced--from a blown-up, or worn-out generator, for instance. Or perhaps someone gets an "employee discount". One wonders what the price is from Generac compared to a similar block from GM or Dart or World.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Stationary gen oil pans tend to be deep, high capacity pans for extended full load use. May be a real issue fitting in a chassis.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
machinedave
Guru
Guru

Post by machinedave »

I'm fairly certain that the pan is cast and there is surely going to be some modifying of the oil pan to fit the chassis.
IDT-572

Post by IDT-572 »

I'm fairly sure buying a replacement generator block from Generac will be very cost prohibited.

You will need the police and a mental counselor, for the raping your going to get :roll:
machinedave
Guru
Guru

Post by machinedave »

This was very affordable. I know that he has some hurdles to overcome but this should still be a budget 540".