General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

racear2865
Guru
Guru

Re: My next 454 build

Post by racear2865 »

CamKing wrote:
vortecpro wrote:Keith you make a good point, and I considered those pistons, but.........how could I run the 1.2 MM ring I want to run?
Anyone have any HP predictions?
It won't make anything, if you don't stop posting about it, and finish it. That cam's gonna be an antique by the time you get it running. :lol:

Hey VortecPro---you do know that time shrinks every thing and by the time you finish this, it may shrink to a 302. just saying
reed
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Crankshaft is done, indexed and a perfect 4 inch stroke, block work continues.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
Old School
Pro
Pro

Post by Old School »

vortecpro wrote:Crankshaft is done, indexed and a perfect 4 inch stroke, block work continues.
To get the index at a perfect 90 what rod bearing size will you run? Very few will index with .010.
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

Old School wrote:
vortecpro wrote:Crankshaft is done, indexed and a perfect 4 inch stroke, block work continues.
To get the index at a perfect 90 what rod bearing size will you run? Very few will index with .010.

aint that the truth.
reed
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Old School wrote:
Crank is .010 on the mains, .020 on the rods. I will put pictures of the crank up when I'am done with it. Block work continues, received my GM stamped rockers Saturday.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Some pictures of my pistons and main bolts. My idea of using these pistons is probably not a good idea as pointed out by the forum, the weight (861 grams) bothers me and I could see them pulling the wrist pins. I can't see me using these pistons.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

I think those pistons are good for a mild performance application but not for a 10 sec ride and 7000+ through the lights.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

861g ! Thats getting near BB chrysler territory :lol:
Craig.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

vortecpro wrote:Some pictures of my pistons and main bolts. My idea of using these pistons is probably not a good idea as pointed out by the forum, the weight (861 grams) bothers me and I could see them pulling the wrist pins. I can't see me using these pistons.
While those pistons wouldn't be my first choice, I think back to before NHRA allowed us Stockers to use the quality stuff that's currently accepted (CP, etc).

The OEM and accepted BBC cast pistons hung in there pretty well. Ditto the forged TRW stuff in the 396/375's and 427/425's. :wink:
hereinmissoula

Post by hereinmissoula »

Single pattern cam doesn't seem optimal on factory castings , exh sucks . And the Pistons like everyone else says . Cracks at pin I bet
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

hereinmissoula wrote:Single pattern cam doesn't seem optimal on factory castings , exh sucks . And the Pistons like everyone else says . Cracks at pin I bet
The engine will be run at a high altitude, so the cylinder will only have about 85% of the mass it would see at sea level. Less mass requires less exhaust duration to evacuate it.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

The oem casting ports won't be stock after Mark is done with them.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

CamKing wrote:
hereinmissoula wrote:Single pattern cam doesn't seem optimal on factory castings , exh sucks . And the Pistons like everyone else says . Cracks at pin I bet
The engine will be run at a high altitude, so the cylinder will only have about 85% of the mass it would see at sea level. Less mass requires less exhaust duration to evacuate it.
Ie- mother natures dual pattern cam!
Craig.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I've seen quite a few guys on builds use those inexpensive cast pistons and I know almost all those builds ended up with catastrophic engine failure when pushed at 6500-7000 rpm blasts. I would highly recommend that is you are going to use lesser cost than 2618 forged pistons, you should at least step up to a 4032 forging (hyper-eutectic)that many quality piston manufacturers offer and the weights will be substantially less. I am not a pure fan of these but they are heads and shoulders above those heavy cast pistons.
Don't buy this engine twice! JMO
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Any HP predictions? Block work is complete.