sbc 383 intake recommendation

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

user-612937456

Re: sbc 383 intake recommendation

Post by user-612937456 »

cspeier wrote:This pump gas 383 made 490@5000 torque with the Hurricane
Chad seems like a year or so you said the 2925 was your go to open plenum manifold. How much better do you find the Hurricane is? I have recently had a couple well respected names speak highly of the Keith Dorton Holley open plenum manifold 300-110 anyone with experience on this one?
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

gvx wrote:
cspeier wrote:This pump gas 383 made 490@5000 torque with the Hurricane
Chad seems like a year or so you said the 2925 was your go to open plenum manifold. How much better do you find the Hurricane is? I have recently had a couple well respected names speak highly of the Keith Dorton Holley open plenum manifold anyone with experience on this one?
The 2925 is a POS as-cast... I would have put a 300-25 on this 383 but the one I had for it was machined wrong and needed weld. I ordered another and the same issue. The Holley Dorton 300-110 is a great manifold. I use it on everything with my smaller CNC head from 380-421. The plenum on the 2925 has been reworked and it's decent but still needs a mill.

The only reason I used a Hurricane is because we did a dyno test with a 383 and a Hurricane, 2925, 2970, and Dorton and knew where I stood with it compared.
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

Here is something else I have been doing, when I don't forget to add new ones.

http://www.speierracingheads.com/manifold-lengths.html
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

cspeier wrote:The only reason I used a Hurricane is because we did a dyno test with a 383 and a Hurricane, 2925, 2970, and Dorton and knew where I stood with it compared.
Can you elaborate the pro's and con's between the Hurricane and the Dorton
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

gvx wrote:
cspeier wrote:The only reason I used a Hurricane is because we did a dyno test with a 383 and a Hurricane, 2925, 2970, and Dorton and knew where I stood with it compared.
Can you elaborate the pro's and con's between the Hurricane and the Dorton

Honest 30hp both ported. Honest 10hp as-cast. Both in favor of the Dorton.

Chris Cobb did the dyno testing.

I put the new plenum designed, heavily milled/ported 2925 on my personal 382. Only reason is to see how it compares to the Dorton. Both will be dyno'd.
smokie

Post by smokie »

hood clearance is not an issue. i'm putting a 4" cowl hood on the car, unless a find a smoking deal on a tunnel ram set up. then i will go hoodless or cut a hole in the stock hood (or probably both).

hood clearance is not an issue.

Chad, are the hurricane intakes bad for leaking in the 4 center bolt holes where the holes are made bigger for the adapters to use on the newer heads?

also, the heads i'm using are the dart 200 platinum (assault, proheader, yada yada yada) copies. all i have done is cut out the bumps in the pushrod pinch & smoothed them down. i haven't done anything to the ssr, just made the guide bosses a little smaller at the top in the bowl area by slimming them down a little. blended the bowls & i'm considering cutting down the big hump at the top of the spark plug boss & on the other side straight across from it between the valves. would i be wasting my time doing this for lower lift flow? i need to get some stones for my die grinder but i can not find them to save my ass locally.
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

I have to burst your bubble about the proheaders and the Assaults they aren't no where close to the the platinums the darts flow about 15-17% more than the lower price imports mentioned.
smokie

Post by smokie »

that's cool, i knew i wasn't buying darts when i bought them, i just wanted people to know exactly what i'm using.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Cool. But not likibg your grindibg plans in those spots on the combustion chamber.

First flow the water hose thru the port into the chamber (with and without the valve there and you will see whrre
and how the flow pattern is. move the flow stream around a bit too.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

F-BIRD'88 wrote:Cool. But not likibg your grindibg plans in those spots on the combustion chamber.

First flow the water hose thru the port into the chamber (with and without the valve there and you will see whrre
What flow stream mimics the real world?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

GARY C wrote:
F-BIRD'88 wrote:Cool. But not likibg your grindibg plans in those spots on the combustion chamber.

The basic flow stream of a water hose spraying through the port. Try it. If you want to use different water pressures
to evaluate go for it.
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote:
GARY C wrote:

The basic flow stream of a water hose spraying through the port. Try it. If you want to use different water pressures
to evaluate go for it.
I am sure its a useful tool with a valid purpose; but in the real world wouldn't there be a drastic difference in viscosity of A/F mixture and water effecting the "real world" representation of flow characteristics?
Like if you used pancake syrup would it have the same flow characteristics as Water?
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

No,, In its basic form for a basic visualization of where the flow goes, the water stream/spray will show whats going on in a very clear way.. Keep it simple.

You will see how the intake port works. As far as simple flow dynamics visualization goes air acts like a fluid.

You will get the general idea of whats going on.

What the OP is describing of grinding on the combustion chamber sounds very suspect. Large changes are not nessessary.
Especillay in the spots he has discribed. The water flow test will help him see whats going on, where.
He can also take clues from other modern combustion chambers including CNC ported finished versions of that exact head.
Study this stuff before you start griniding here and there, on "bumps".

KISS
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Running the water from a garden hose through the port will tell you how clean it is, but nothing else useful.

Randy
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

smokie wrote:hood clearance is not an issue. i'm putting a 4" cowl hood on the car, unless a find a smoking deal on a tunnel ram set up. then i will go hoodless or cut a hole in the stock hood (or probably both).

hood clearance is not an issue.

Chad, are the hurricane intakes bad for leaking in the 4 center bolt holes where the holes are made bigger for the adapters to use on the newer heads?

also, the heads i'm using are the dart 200 platinum (assault, proheader, yada yada yada) copies. all i have done is cut out the bumps in the pushrod pinch & smoothed them down. i haven't done anything to the ssr, just made the guide bosses a little smaller at the top in the bowl area by slimming them down a little. blended the bowls & i'm considering cutting down the big hump at the top of the spark plug boss & on the other side straight across from it between the valves. would i be wasting my time doing this for lower lift flow? i need to get some stones for my die grinder but i can not find them to save my ass locally.

The 383 I'm talking about has the Proheader head on it.

Here is what I did to the chamber.

Flows 300 on a good day and has made 680 on a 406.